Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, all this time I had the answer. I should probably let Ed know.

Maybe.
But that’s the harsh and brutal reality of it.

nobody took responsibility for the Chris Mayne debacle...putting it down to “miscommunication” and then we repeated the dose with Beams.

Then there’s also the salary cap that’s been mis-managed for years making it difficult to either chase players or retain existing ones.

We aren’t a well run club—-far from it.

Maybe.
But that’s the harsh and brutal reality of it.

nobody took responsibility for the Chris Mayne debacle...putting it down to “miscommunication” and then we repeated the dose with Beams.

Then there’s also the salary cap that’s been mis-managed for years making it difficult to either chase players or retain existing ones.

We aren’t a well run club—-far from it.
I just wish someone would take responsibility for recruiting Treloar, Adams, WHE, Crisp, Howe etc.
That person should burn in hell.

I just wish someone would take responsibility for recruiting Treloar, Adams, WHE, Crisp, Howe etc.

They do—-they get paid handsomely for it.

however the last few years has seen us burn picks and money wasting on Beams, Mayne and Murray—-all of whom let people scratching heads from the get-go.

But hey —it’s not cool these days to be a realist.
It’s much cooler to be “positive”

Maybe so... I’d argue the risk was grossly underestimated.
Fair enough.

I suspect they did their due diligence, knew Beam's situation well from an external position. From that position it might be reasonable to view that these problems have been around for a long time but he still produces on-field so why not give it a go. Where they might have come unstuck is the internal reality for Beams. Wild guess, part of the motive for Beams to move to the Pies was the new start, a chance to get away from whatever negativity he got involved in up a Brisbane. A geographical. So maybe Beams said things and made commitments that he wanted and believed in at the time that ultimately he couldn't live up to due to his mental health. That sort of scenario around addiction is pretty common.

Beams not being the answer, Beams not performing at the levels of 2018 would be the risk they thought they were taking. Beams dropping out of AFL altogether, I don't think anyone would have predicted that. So personally I think grossly is a bit over the top.

They do—-they get paid handsomely for it.

however the last few years has seen us burn picks and money wasting on Beams, Mayne and Murray—-all of whom let people scratching heads from the get-go.

But hey —it’s not cool these days to be a realist.
It’s much cooler to be “positive”
Be who you want to be man.

Understand the point but the picks traded for Treloar and WHE landed Hopper, Logue and Balta. Ironically the clearance mid, tall defender and mobile KPF we could have used in the past two final series.

Understand the point but the picks traded for Treloar and WHE landed Hopper, Logue and Balta. Ironically the clearance mid, tall defender and mobile KPF we could have used in the past two final series.
Never heard of them

I wonder who will take responsibility for this deal.

Is Ned Guy responsible?
Is it the coach who may have pushed hard the case to get the player?
Is it Derek Hine, who has a special bonds with the player having previously drafted him?
Perhaps it is Geoff Walsh or Ed who let sentiment get in the way of business?

Either way, the fact that this is still dragging out is a circus.

Work out a settlement and continue help him outside of football- yes --but---don't sit there paying him to paint art with all due respect for the next 3 years.

The Collingwood way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never heard of them
Surprised that you haven't heard of Hopper. He was the mid with 15 contested possessions in the game where GWS smashed our midfield, knocking us out of the Grand Final.

Surprised that you haven't heard of Hopper. He was the mid with 15 contested possessions in the game where GWS smashed our midfield, knocking us out of the Grand Final.
I’d had a few, and at the ground they all look the same.

Hopper was an Academy player though, and very well regarded so I don't think we were getting him no matter what pick we had.

Hopper was an Academy player though, and very well regarded so I don't think we were getting him no matter what pick we had.
I'll give you that and raise you Stewart, Darcy, Battle and B.Cox picked just after McClarty. Our recruiting team is not infallible.

I'll give you that and raise you Stewart, Darcy, Battle and B.Cox picked just after McClarty. Our recruiting team is not infallible.

No club is. Even Stephen Wells at the Cats has a string of busts.

The Beams pick up was our club thinking we were so close and in desperation we took a chance on Beams. We might not have fully known the extent of his issues and behaviour, but I’m sure the key decision makers would have been aware of most of it.

It will be interesting to see whether clubs will take on players with mental health issues given how much the Beams & Hogan trades have played out. I suppose they will but are going to factor that in when valuing what should be traded and contract size. Geelong didn’t give up a lot in the Stevens trade with St Kilda from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ill give you Hopper, but Logue & Balta?
Really? those names aren't exactly lighting the world on fire, I doubt they even get games at Collingwood in their respective positions...

No club is. Even Stephen Wells at the Cats has a string of busts.

The Beams pick up was our club thinking we were so close and in desperation we took a chance on Beams. We might not have fully known the extent of his issues and behaviour, but I’m sure the key decision makers would have been aware of most of it.

It will be interesting to see whether clubs will take on players with mental health issues given how much the Beams & Hogan trades have played out. I suppose they will but are going to factor that in when valuing what should be traded and contract size. Geelong didn’t give up a lot in the Stevens trade with St Kilda from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The thing that is overlooked - and I don't know if it's deliberate - is that with future draft trading, clubs are moving the picks around so much it may as well be the Cayman Islands. It's now nearly impossible to work out where a trade finally lands, which is great for recruiting departments because you can never really work out if it's a hit or miss. It's trade laundering at its finest.

Can you predict our next draft?

Of course they're not infallible, and obviously I wasn't suggesting they were. They get some right, and some wrong. Once again, it's the same with all clubs.

McLarty was a real disappointment, but he was pick 30. He probably stays in the head a bit more because he was our first pick that year, but I don't think at #30 you should ever be that confident. T. Stewart would have been very handy (!), Darcy looks likely as well but another ruckman wouldn't have been what we were after at the time. Some seem to rate B. Cox but I just haven't seen him do all that much. You could go through every draft ever held and point out the "horrid blunders" made by some clubs, yet marvel at some of the "genius moves" made as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back