Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Play footy.

Well that would be nice and I'm sure he would love to as well but circumstances seem to preclude that. Personally, given that Beams has a contract, I think he is well within his rights to hold the club to that contract. I have no doubt that if he was well enough, he would seek to play.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here we go again...

I know that both you and I hold no personal grievances towards Beams. However it was a very risky trade which has proven to be so and I don't think that in today's high performance environment, just letting this go is acceptable. The decision maker(s) should be held to account and I believe that we as supporters have the right to know what happened albeit I know this won't happen. Remember your hard earned is indirectly funding these decisions. Accountability and transparency are not unreasonable given the unique circumstances of this trade.

Well Beams is certainly holding the decision makers to account. He has a contract but can't play, ethically and morally he should come to terms that suits both sides. It isn't as if the club is holding him to ransom. They held out a lifeline to him and it has now bound their hands.

Never a fan of the deal nor Beams since he left and his current stance only affirms my impression of him.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well Beams is certainly holding the decision makers to account. He has a contract but can't play, ethically and morally he should come to terms that suits both sides. It isn't as if the club is holding him to ransom. They held out a lifeline to him and it has now bound their hands.

Never a fan of the deal nor Beams since he left and his current stance only affirms my impression of him.

You do know he and the club can’t do anything right now?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know that both you and I hold no personal grievances towards Beams. However it was a very risky trade which has proven to be so and I don't think that in today's high performance environment, just letting this go is acceptable. The decision maker(s) should be held to account and I believe that we as supporters have the right to know what happened albeit I know this won't happen. Remember your hard earned is indirectly funding these decisions. Accountability and transparency are not unreasonable given the unique circumstances of this trade.
Bad trades happen, good trades happen.
Our list is strong and in contention. Let’s hold the powers that be responsible for that.

Well that would be nice and I'm sure he would love to as well but circumstances seem to preclude that. Personally, given that Beams has a contract, I think he is well within his rights to hold the club to that contract. I have no doubt that if he was well enough, he would seek to play.
Only Beams knows the answer to that.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bad trades happen, good trades happen.
Our list is strong and in contention. Let’s hold the powers that be responsible for that.

Ye that's a fair response. So let's get going into 2020 with all parties, including the players, fully on board.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree the deal was very risky.

However there are 2 issues here which IMO are quite separate :

(i) The club chose to take on board a very risky proposition and now must deal with it one way or another. You can't have it both ways. Yes the club provided a lifeline but commercially, shouldn't really expect the other party to end the contract just because the deal went sideways.
(ii) Is Beams morally/ethically bound - from a contractual perspective absolutely not. Both parties willingly came together and a contract was signed. End of story.

And your yes after the duh was another restatement?

However I believe the correct spelling is der as in der mate, or my preferred der Freddie.

Duh, as if I don't know. used derisively

I agree the deal was very risky.

However there are 2 issues here which IMO are quite separate :

(i) The club chose to take on board a very risky proposition and now must deal with it one way or another. You can't have it both ways. Yes the club provided a lifeline but commercially, shouldn't really expect the other party to end the contract just because the deal went sideways.
(ii) Is Beams morally/ethically bound - from a contractual perspective absolutely not. Both parties willingly came together and a contract was signed. End of story.
Done to death.
Deal has been done

Prior to this virus, my understanding was that negotiations were ongoing. Since the virus, negotiations have been on hold and there have been player cuts to compensate for shorter season and financial considerations.

It seems fairly evident that he is unlikely to play again for the Pies. Seems to me that continuing to hold out (I presume he hasn't accepted the Pies offer)
is he is being selfish, ethically and morally void.

That is unless the Pies are trying to screw him financially which I doubt as it would come back to bite (publicity) them.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Done to death.
Deal has been done

Prior to this virus, my understanding was that negotiations were ongoing. Since the virus, negotiations have been on hold and there have been player cuts to compensate for shorter season and financial considerations.

It seems fairly evident that he is unlikely to play again for the Pies. Seems to me that continuing to hold out (I presume he hasn't accepted the Pies offer)

That is unless the Pies are trying to screw him financially which I doubt as it would come back to bite (publicity) them.

Sorry, your post appears to be contradictory. If the on-going negotiations are now on hold, how is he currently continuing to hold out? And he would have had his pay cut like all others.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
1 top 20 pick. The 2018 first rounder ended up being pick 21. I don’t mind people being unhappy with the trade, but don’t change facts to make it sound even worse than it actually was.

Don’t split hairs to downplay how bad it was. You are quibbling over one draft place. I assume you were being sarcastic.

I still think Eddie was the main person behind it

Done to death.
Deal has been done

What will happen to players Contracts IF they run out before they can start talking about them?

Sorry, your post appears to be contradictory. If the on-going negotiations are now on hold, how is he currently continuing to hold out? And he would have had his pay cut like all others.

No need to be sorry nor nit pick.

Ned Guy's first trade period as a list manager and he got schooled by a more experienced administrator.

It what happens when put a rookie with no experience in charge.

Actually Roughead Trade was his 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back