Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And he confirmed he crashed his car on purpose late last year. Was his call for help.

Was a very interesting segment.
I wonder if he received an insurance pay out for the car damage, and whether him admitting he did it on purpose could come back to bite him.

Surely no insurance company would pay out for an accident resulting from a known suicide attempt?

Life Insurance companies would pay out on a suicide after a 13 month waiting period, so suicide attempts resulting in damage to the vehicle, may see a insurance company still payout on a claim.
But Beams did mention, it really wasn't a suicide attempt, as he wasn't looking to die, just wanted to be heard.

If it wasn’t obvious enough already it is now. Beams has retired and mentally checked out of footy. All that remains is an official announcement.

It’s also clear that there’s a lot that Beams didn’t reveal - things he’s not proud of, hurting others and specifics around his addiction.

That he’s focused on positivity, waking up and feeling good is admirable and gives him purpose, however it also suggests he’s still battling his depressive illness. Even if he hadn’t mentally checked out of footy given his triggers footy seemingly wouldn’t be a suitable environment.

would have been such a good interview if Mclachlan wasn’t such a sappy interviewer asking the most lame questions.

McLachlan obviously has a talent at getting players to open up to him and touching on the personal stuff most players wouldn't reveal.

But there were a lot of questions left unanswered, that any typical journalist would have probed. Ie:

1. Will Beams attempt to come back;
2. Where is his relationship with Collingwood;
3. What specific addiction did he battle;
4. Address previous rumours of retirement and settlements with the club;
5. Why did Beams want to come back to Collingwood, what were the circumstances surrounding his departure etc.

I suppose that if you go into those questions, then players won't want to sit down and do the chat. I also wonder if the Beams camp put restrictions on the questions that can and can't be asked...and I also wonder if the interview is paid, or if it is part of his playing contract that he has to do a certain amount of media.

I thought the interview overall was eye-opening. Sometimes we all (including me) have the tendency to roll our eyes when a player has mental health issues. Seeing the way Beams spoke, and his admissions regarding the car accident, clearly show that what he is battling is real. He clearly is not in a headspace to play football, and I can totally understand why he has walked away from the game. His mental health is number 1, and footy just can't help that.

I still maintain though that both the club and him need to come to an arrangement (if they haven't already) and finalise his exit. He is around 30 years old now and is physically no where near fit enough to play AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's a gambling addict? The AFL needs to get out of bed with betting agencies.

They, like the government are addicted to the $ that come with it.

Sports betting/online is one beast itself, if you look at pokies clubs - where they are predominately situated and the revenue they take from those areas, you realise how some people just can’t help but profit of the misery of others. The social issues gambling causes are phenomenal, unfortunately the owners of said places usually have influence in high places.

Beams is still not in a great place.
This year has been a shocking time for all in Victoria for all reasons.
If you aren't capable of empathy for the greater population after the fires, Covid, unemployment, kids in year 12 (me) and any other shite, well, then I hope you live a great untainted perfect life, whatever that entails.
Screw contracts etc. Dayne is a person.
The pounds put on his face/body are comfort for him. Probably not healthy.
Football means s**t compared to 1 person.
No matter what club
Take care all.
Side by side.
Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back