Rumour Dayne Beams - will he or won't he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope the season does get underway. Otherwise we will finish 2nd again:mad:.
That doesn’t bother me at all, given it’s meaningless.
We will lose a year of footy. That’s a massive loss for fans of all clubs. Instead of 7 years of Grundy, we get 6. Pendles, maybe only 1 more year now. Guys like Reid and Dunn, gone.

It is tragic.

We will lose a year of footy. That’s a massive loss for fans of all clubs. Instead of 7 years of Grundy, we get 6. Pendles, maybe only 1 more year now. Guys like Reid and Dunn, gone.

It is tragic.

I reckon you might need to review your perspective. What's happening in Italy is tragic, Ben Reid missing a season is par for the course.

I reckon you might need to review your perspective. What's happening in Italy is tragic, Ben Reid missing a season is par for the course.
I wasn’t comparing it to Italy. I was talking about footy.

It is tragic.
Actually we get another 7 years of Grundy because he has this year to run plus another 7.

Wish China could be made more accountable for the tragic mess it has created.

The virus has f’ed up the season. Nevertheless I will not be unhappy when Beams ceases to be on our list.
Does it matter. It doesn't sound like he'll be playing again - just do whatever is best in trems of money or salary cap, if that involves him staying on the list - so be it.

I know. I just couldn't resist as it just seemed so hyperbolic to me.
I’m upset about losing a footy season. I should be able to express that on a footy forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the AFL will get a season going in some shape or form. And I for one don't believe it will be meaningless or should have an asterisk next to it. I for one would take a Pies premiership in a 17, 15 or even a 12 game season. And I believe our senior coach would share a similar mindset and if under those circumstances Collingwood won the flag, it's legitimate.

I read most of the article on Beams on the Collingwood site. I dont know much about "clinical depression" and how that is different from the ordinary garden type depression and how that is different from living a life where it's a struggle to find things to make you happy.

I can empathise with him doing something that he loved in the past - footy - and now - art. I think of the many people that i've met in life that went to work and went home and watched tv and went to bed and rarely did anything that they loved. I would think that we've all had periods that we would have been happy to stay in bed all day.

So I really struggle with a lot of what he is saying. Maybe he should look around and try helping out people around him, rather than analysing what is and what is not bringing him happiness. So you might argue his website is doing just that...... well $220 to do a course with Dayne. Well not quite what I was thinking.

I dont know dayne and I dont know his circumstances. There are people in life who have problems and they tell the world that we need to learn about them..... well no thanks. i generally wish these people well but there are too many people suffering or being oppressed or etc etc, to learn all their stories. So i'd be happy to hear from dayne on the pies website as often as we hear from other ex pie players.... crossica....jamie turner...terry waters...ian mc orist....put in any pie name here...and i recognise that i have the ability to skip the beams articles, which i will in the future.

I believe the AFL will get a season going in some shape or form. And I for one don't believe it will be meaningless or should have an asterisk next to it. I for one would take a Pies premiership in a 17, 15 or even a 12 game season. And I believe our senior coach would share a similar mindset and if under those circumstances Collingwood won the flag, it's legitimate.
In fact the coach has said just that!: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/ne...-to-have-an-asterisk-next-to-our-name-buckley

It's in the record books that Fitzroy won the flag in 1916, but it was under the most ridiculous circumstances imaginable! Anyone not familiar with it should check it out!: https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1916.html
I can live with it if we win the flag this year, but reserve the right to think that it should have an asterisk next to it if somebody else wins it!!

In fact the coach has said just that!: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/ne...-to-have-an-asterisk-next-to-our-name-buckley

It's in the record books that Fitzroy won the flag in 1916, but it was under the most ridiculous circumstances imaginable! Anyone not familiar with it should check it out!: https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1916.html
I can live with it if we win the flag this year, but reserve the right to think that it should have an asterisk next to it if somebody else wins it!!

Very fair call.

Clearly Fitzroy peaked at the right time. Good on them.

Very fair call.

Clearly Fitzroy peaked at the right time. Good on them.
Until a few years back the AFL considered Fitzroy to have won both the wooden spoon (as they finished last at the end of the H & A games) and the premiership in 1916, but now Richmond are classed as having "won" the wooden spoon. Apparently it was known from the start that all four competing clubs would play finals, so it really was a farcical season!

I guess a couple of general responses might be useful on some of these points, kind of leaving aside Dayne specifically and talking generally.

Clinical Depression as a term has been overtaken these days as I understand it. The condition under DSM-V is called Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), and in Australian clinical settings Major Depression is the most commonly used term.

In Dayne's case, the assumption you would take is the use of the term "Clinical Depression" means he has been diagnosed with MDD by a clinician. There are other kinds of depressive disorders, but the term Clinical Depression is normally referring to MDD from what ive seen.

As to what is the difference between "Clinical Depression" and "ordinary garden type depression and how that is different from living a life where it's a struggle to find things to make you happy" I guess thats a loaded question in some ways. The best way may be to answer in the context of the above.

There are various symptoms that you may say are consistent with "ordinary garden type depression and how that is different from living a life where it's a struggle to find things to make you happy". What differentiates MDD from not is generally aspects of the severity, duration, ubiquity, and impact of those symptoms.

It is not uncommon to feel sad, or low mood, or have difficulty enjoying life, especially in trying times. MDD is where those kind of factors are so severe as to impair your ability to live normally, are felt all the time or most of the time, and that state continues for a prolonged period.

The initial screen often involves something like the K-10 (Kessler Psychological Distress scale) which probes some of those factors.

The question of reconnecting with things you enjoy is down to a major symptom of depression being anhedonia, the inability to enjoy things or gain pleasure from normal activity. So reversing that is often a part of treatment strategies (and being aware of an ability to enjoy activities again is a clinical sign your treating doctor is going to ask about).

You miss my point in the sentence I wrote. You say that having MDD means that the depression is so severe as to impair your ability to live normally. So when it is less severe, your ability to live normally is not impaired? I understand "I cant leave the house" is objectively worse than "I cant meet new people" but I dont believe psychs can sculpt the boundaries so perfectly.

Or here's another one..... is depression worse for people who have experienced an enjoyable fulfilling life for some time, when compared to someone who has never achieved that level of enjoyment? I understand that some personality types are more likely to plumb the depths, just as some types are more likely to gamble everything they own.

At the risk of sounding simplistic, and acknowledging that some have it worse than others, there is a part of me that just wants to tell dayne "welcome to the human condition".

But the point of my post is that Dayne is on a personal journey and i wish him well and let it continue as a personal journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back