Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Beams hated New Balance so much he could have stopped wearing them and handed back the money.

Pretty poor way to treat a company that sponsored you.

Yep.

I guess he’s not on the New Balance bus any longer.

FWIW I ******* hate New Balance too, they caused me pain in my knees which I don’t get with Asics, Saucony, Mizuno or Brooks.

Totally agree.
Sier has played 5 or 6 decent games in 4 or 5 years, yet is spoken about as some sort of mythical beast.
Wills played a couple of good games last year, but while he is tough and can tackle, goes to ground too often and isn’t attacking at all.
Brown, while improving still has a lot more to do and get involved for 4 qtr rather than show something in 1 qtr and then do little.

I have been critical of the recruitment of Beams, however, he is on such another level than those 3 players that it’s laughable they are in the same conversation with a fit Beams.

You're right of course, Beams injured and otherwise unwell was still very good for us until the hip went, and as a straight selection choice he's than easy winner over the other three.

To be fair Sier played three of his good games in finals, and looks a big game player: his hands are actually better than Beams for mine, those "torp-liker" handballs are mouth-watering: worth a spot and worth developing too. Brown is surprisingly good and also had good finals, he seems to lakc any kind of fear and is still dashing in the last 10 minutes (eg vs Giants). Wills was the best prospect of the three when recruited IIRC and is a genuine battering ram but not as sparky as Brown or as potentially deadly as Sier: hes the worst of the four and behind Sier Adams and Beams as the extractor.

I'd be including Brown and Sier for sure and Wills seem to be a god back up grunt, but if we are looking to win a Grand Final Beams is playing every game he is fit for. He scores goals forward and on the ball, can dig the ball out (I'd say its Sier then Beams then Adams as effective extractors) and is hard as nails.

Every time I hear about another elite sportsperson, who is getting an paid outrageous amount of money to do the kind of thing millions of kids would kill just to have the opportunity to do what theyre doing, take "time away" for "mental illness", i find myself wondering how much of it is really the kind of soul-destroying, bottomless pit black dog type of real depression/"mental illness", as opposed to being simply a deflated and despondent Im-a-victim type mindset which, like weeds amongst your tomato plants, finds fertile ground in the comparatively unresilient minds of this younger generation of millenials/gen z's. When one grows up in an environment - whether at home, school, sports clubs wherever - where one has been told they're a winner at everything and been wrapped up in fairy floss all their lives by helicopter parents, and who measure their self-worth in how many likes they get on their faux-real life staged insta pics its hard to develop the normal mental resilience and motivational behaviours in order to cope with the experiences of failure, having to take personal responsibility for ones own actions and the confronting reality in the face of rejection that there is always someone out there who is better at something than you are unless you work hard and put in the effort to achieve and life isnt going to be handed to you on a silver platter like it may have been previously. I wonder how much of this increasing "mental illness" trend seen in young people is more down to this extreme cognitive dissonance and the shock to their systems when experiencing the harsh reality of life for perhaps the first time whilst not having developed in their childhood/teenage years the mental skills and faculties needed to cope in a well-adjusted way instead of it causing psychological injuries or disturbance; than it is to an actual increased incidence of real clinical depression or personality-type disorders (save for narcissism...we all know thats definitely on the rise 😳) amongst the population?

Waaaay went off on a tangent then, lol the relevance to the topic at hand that sent me off on that was that that tweet of his about the new balance boots just smacks of the kind of millenial petulant im a victim mindset to me, as someone said earlier it is definitely not the kind of comment or response someone who has real clinical depression and is receiving therapeutic treatment for would make, in my own personal opinion. To say something as immature and ungrateful as that without any self-awareness at all youd have to be pretty entitled and full of your own self importance IMO, someone with real clinical depression simply does not exhibit those kind of behaviours or thought patterns its diametrically opposite.

My thoughts on that anyway, ill disappear again now until around early march-ish next year 😋

There seems a lot of truth in what frakturedhalo has to say in general terms, but with zero knowledge of Beams' actual state I am loathe to apply the thinking to him (or any other particular case) The modern obsession with mental health does seem to correlate with the societal changes F mentions, but what is causal? I don't know. We uninformed people should probably stay out of this altogether.

There seems a lot of truth in what frakturedhalo has to say in general terms, but with zero knowledge of Beams' actual state I am loathe to apply the thinking to him (or any other particular case) The modern obsession with mental health does seem to correlate with the societal changes F mentions, but what is causal? I don't know. We uninformed people should probably stay out of this altogether.

Agreed. It's all relative and viewed through the lenses of our biases and experiences. People of my generation (gen X) tend to get cynical about millenials the same way people that lived through WW2 would get cynical about people born in the 60s.

As a society we now have more relative safety, more resources, and greater access to information than any generation before us but anxiety levels are seemingly higher. This is a complex topic but held against this context Beamer is not unusual or surprising. His talent at sport would be the reason he has a sense of entitlement and his emotional responses to events indicate a sensitive guy.

His social media post regarding the New Balance boots was a FUBAR of epic proportions. Dayne lets too much escape through his mouth.

Other than shifts in diagnoses and such, rates of mental health issues have remained relatively constant as far as I'm aware. It's about 20% or 1 in 5 will experience some mental health issue in their lives. The only change in recent times is that discussion about it has moved into the open. For some, that's a good thing, for others, it just compounds the tragedy.

Agreed. It's all relative and viewed through the lenses of our biases and experiences. People of my generation (gen X) tend to get cynical about millenials the same way people that lived through WW2 would get cynical about people born in the 60s.

As a society we now have more relative safety, more resources, and greater access to information than any generation before us but anxiety levels are seemingly higher. This is a complex topic but held against this context Beamer is not unusual or surprising. His talent at sport would be the reason he has a sense of entitlement and his emotional responses to events indicate a sensitive guy.

His social media post regarding the New Balance boots was a FUBAR of epic proportions. Dayne lets too much escape through his mouth.
Has always been a loose cannon and has to get it into his head that 'daddy' Mick isn't there to shield him anymore.

NEVER a fan of his return but hoped to be proven wrong.

Not going well so far.

Time to grow up Dayne and start being part of the solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he has had new balance so long that he is glad for a change. Maybe it wasn't the right way to go about it. I'm sure he meant no harm.

Would have come down to money.

Dayne is on our list.

Dayne is an A grade level player.

Dayne plays well, we’re a better side.

Whether he should have been brought in or not for the picks given, different discussion.

But we have him, he has sensitive matters in his life.

Why people (come across with a relish) to give him a kick when he’s down, says more about them.

I’d rather he succeeds for us, as we are better with him playing than not.

I’d rather he be well as that speaks to human decency.

That simple.

Dayne is on our list.

Dayne is an A grade level player.

Dayne plays well, we’re a better side.

Whether he should have been brought in or not for the picks given, different discussion.

But we have him, he has sensitive matters in his life.

Why people (come across with a relish) to give him a kick when he’s down, says more about them.

I’d rather he succeeds for us, as we are better with him playing than not.

I’d rather he be well as that speaks to human decency.

That simple.
The elephant in the room Saintly is he has a big mouth and not shy to use it.

Has always been a good player but has always been erratic in his personal life.

How long does that fly if he isn't contributing to the side?

He needs to mature properly and become the player and man that he always should have been.

Loud mouthing about sponsors in social media is NOT mature for an AFL footballer.

He is a collingwood player and as such has my support but - at present - NOT my respect.

Time for him to step up.

Most people with mental health issues have made public statements about removing themselves from social media and the positive effects it has had on them.

Clearly Dayne doesn't feel like doing that he is fair game in my opinion.

Most people with mental health issues have made public statements about removing themselves from social media and the positive effects it has had on them.

What he has done is turn off comments and messages from anyone but those that he follows. It stops the idiots.

I'd have thought that most people with mental health issues haven't said boo to anyone let alone made public statements.

What he has done is turn off comments and messages from anyone but those that he follows. It stops the idiots.

GET OFF IT COMPLETELY

He can still see negative comments in the public feed he can still see comments anything related to Collingwood.

Let's not forget he still opens himself up for criticism posting cryptic crap on Instagram.

Has always been a loose cannon and has to get it into his head that 'daddy' Mick isn't there to shield him anymore.

NEVER a fan of his return but hoped to be proven wrong.

Not going well so far.

Time to grow up Dayne and start being part of the solution.
You really are a nasty little piece of work sometimes...

You're obsessed by Dayne Beams, but I'm curious as to why it's fair game to slander/bully/harrass someone because they choose to be on social media? Or have I misinterpreted what you mean by 'fair game'?

You're obsessed by Dayne Beams, but I'm curious as to why it's fair game to slander/bully/harrass someone because they choose to be on social media? Or have I misinterpreted what you mean by 'fair game'?

Fair game for actions to be commented on, for example, the New Balance post, wants to make things public then the public will comment.

Just wow at some of the comments on here......

He can do as he wishes, it is his life - just because he plays for collingwood doesn't give us the right to judge what he does or doesn't do.

He is never going to be the Pendles like posterboy some ppl seem to think he should. If he gets his body right, we are a better team. That's all there is to it.

It isn't his fault Collingwood payed overs for him. Don't let that cloud your opinions of him.

Rant over........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back