wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Old people wear them.

...and the 2nd best basketball player in the World.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Every time I hear about another elite sportsperson, who is getting an paid outrageous amount of money to do the kind of thing millions of kids would kill just to have the opportunity to do what theyre doing, take "time away" for "mental illness", i find myself wondering how much of it is really the kind of soul-destroying, bottomless pit black dog type of real depression/"mental illness", as opposed to being simply a deflated and despondent Im-a-victim type mindset which, like weeds amongst your tomato plants, finds fertile ground in the comparatively unresilient minds of this younger generation of millenials/gen z's. When one grows up in an environment - whether at home, school, sports clubs wherever - where one has been told they're a winner at everything and been wrapped up in fairy floss all their lives by helicopter parents, and who measure their self-worth in how many likes they get on their faux-real life staged insta pics its hard to develop the normal mental resilience and motivational behaviours in order to cope with the experiences of failure, having to take personal responsibility for ones own actions and the confronting reality in the face of rejection that there is always someone out there who is better at something than you are unless you work hard and put in the effort to achieve and life isnt going to be handed to you on a silver platter like it may have been previously. I wonder how much of this increasing "mental illness" trend seen in young people is more down to this extreme cognitive dissonance and the shock to their systems when experiencing the harsh reality of life for perhaps the first time whilst not having developed in their childhood/teenage years the mental skills and faculties needed to cope in a well-adjusted way instead of it causing psychological injuries or disturbance; than it is to an actual increased incidence of real clinical depression or personality-type disorders (save for narcissism...we all know thats definitely on the rise 😳) amongst the population?
You have described a reason for gen z suffering from depression. How does this differ in impact from soul-destroying, bottomless pit black dog type of real depression/"mental illness? Should this be treated or viewed differently?

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You have described a reason for gen z suffering from depression. How does this differ in impact from soul-destroying, bottomless pit black dog type of real depression/"mental illness? Should this be treated or viewed differently?
Yes, well the form I was talking about was clinical major depressive disorder, which can be caused by a number of things ie. trauma, abuse, severe stress, biochemical factors including PND, long term substance abuse etc no one person is the same, but underpinning all of these causalities there is strong research that, and it is generally accepted (well certainly all the experts in their respective fields i have had dialogue with over the years with my work have regarded it as fact) that major clinical depression is in most causes caused by neurotransmitter dysfunction and the disruption to the pathways of specifically serotonin, dopamine and...noradrenaline I think from memory it is? Lol im a lawyer not a doctor, but Im 99% sure its those three, in addition to some structural differences in the size of certain parts due to the brain shrinking in persons who are depressed. Which are in most cases the result of genetics, a smaller portion due to environmental factors that cause the biochemical imbalance.

So yes I'd say that there is a very large difference between the two, one largely is the result of a physiological dysfunction and biochemical imbalances in the brain due to genetic or other factors which one generally has no control over or at present time can be remedied apart from with long term antidepressant and other pharmacological treatments and interventions, cognitive-based treatment methods have had some but are largely regarded as being ineffectual in treating this form of depression. The other is more caused by psychosocial factors rather than having its root cause in neurotransmitter dysfunction, which means it is perhaps more of a 'temporary' or perhaps more regularly recurring form of depression...I personally do not consider this as 'clinical' depression as a way of separating the two which I often need to in my line of work, but thats a personal viewpoint others im sure would have a different view which is fine we're all entitled to our own. This latter form of depression Im referring to is however able to be successfully treated, if not cured at least able to be kept somewhat under control by the individual with cognitive behavioural treatment and therapies that focus on improving their in a nutshell their mental resilience, psychological coping skills and their ability to regulate their mood, motivational and interpersonal skills. So to sum it up, one type there is little control over the condition (save for gobbling psychotropics like tic tacs), the other the sufferer is enabled a degree of control and influence over their illness

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or the boots are s**t and he has a bit of honesty about him?
Lol i believe after all of the tangent walkabouts and robust debate about the socially-defining challenges and moral dilemmas we are facing as a society, that was precisely the point we're all in varying degrees of agreement or not about. Some of us think that sure Beamsy, the boots might be s**t but the shoe obviously fit when they were paying you to say how good they were which you had no problem with and fulfilled your end of the commercial arrangement no probs everyones a winner and winners are grinners. But to turn around when theyre no longer paying you to be a insta mouthpiece just like any other plastic 'influencer' out there, and say the boots u previously extolled the virtues of are s**t and then use it to pimp the rival product of whos currently bankrolling and thus dictating to you what your personal style and tastes are...it makes you look like a dick. An ungrateful and completely un-self-aware dick at that who doesnt realise hes just making himself look like he'll sell his soul to the highest bidder and theres no real genuineness behind the shameless pimping of commercial inducements to his thousands of little kid fans, who'll then no doubt run and beg nag scream and cajole their poor parents into buying the same footy boots as beamer wears. But they're too young and innocent to the wicked and insidious ways of the world to realise theyre simply buying a lie and their behaviour as "consumers" is being manipulated. And think beamsy should have at least retained what little shred of dignity he has left after all this influencing monkey business hes engaging in by maintaining a somewhat dignified silence in that you dont slag off your ex anythings in public, its an unwritten rule in life.

Others are of the opinion that he has mental illness so that excuses him from the scrutiny or reproach of anyone, either that or because he's back in the black...and white 😂

Last edited:
If Beams hated New Balance so much he could have stopped wearing them and handed back the money.

Pretty poor way to treat a company that sponsored you.

Thank god we've got someone fighting for the underdog multinational corporations.

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Am still no clearer what all these things are that he has supposedly gone through... drug induced, gambling, rape case, family death related. No idea. All I know is that people keep saying “gee, he’s in a bad place... if only you knew half of what he’s gone through”. How did the club not know about this, if it’s so bad and career ending

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just an update. Beams hasn’t been training this week or last. Mental health is the reason he has given.

Word from inside the club is he will likely never be in a position to play again.

I can tell you the players and officials are all completely over him. If only you knew half of what has gone on with him.
Sorry ... but... who are you? And who exactly is your source for this information?

There has been so many rumours fly about in this thread. A majority of which have never proven to be true. I am getting sick of it. Give this man a break.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Sorry ... but... who are you? And who exactly is your source for this information?

There has been so many rumours fly about in this thread. A majority of which have never proven to be true. I am getting sick of it. Give this man a break.

I think we should just be thankful it’s going to put an end to the NB boot chat!

It’s one of those ones that if proven false should result in a permaban, but unfortunately it’s the type of comment I can’t shake as having truth to it so I’m not going to buy in yet one way or the other. You can be sure it won’t stay under wraps long if it’s legit.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just an update. Beams hasn’t been training this week or last. Mental health is the reason he has given.

Word from inside the club is he will likely never be in a position to play again.

I can tell you the players and officials are all completely over him. If only you knew half of what has gone on with him.
Don't leave us hanging, how do you know this? Are you a Carlton supporter?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol i believe after all of the tangent walkabouts and robust debate about the socially-defining challenges and moral dilemmas we are facing as a society, that was precisely the point we're all in varying degrees of agreement or not about. Some of us think that sure Beamsy, the boots might be s**t but the shoe obviously fit when they were paying you to say how good they were which you had no problem with and fulfilled your end of the commercial arrangement no probs everyones a winner and winners are grinners. But to turn around when theyre no longer paying you to be a insta mouthpiece just like any other plastic 'influencer' out there, and say the boots u previously extolled the virtues of are s**t and then use it to pimp the rival product of whos currently bankrolling and thus dictating to you what your personal style and tastes are...it makes you look like a dick. An ungrateful and completely un-self-aware dick at that who doesnt realise hes just making himself look like he'll sell his soul to the highest bidder and theres no real genuineness behind the shameless pimping of commercial inducements to his thousands of little kid fans, who'll then no doubt run and beg nag scream and cajole their poor parents into buying the same footy boots as beamer wears. But they're too young and innocent to the wicked and insidious ways of the world to realise theyre simply buying a lie and their behaviour as "consumers" is being manipulated. And think beamsy should have at least retained what little shred of dignity he has left after all this influencing monkey business hes engaging in by maintaining a somewhat dignified silence in that you dont slag off your ex anythings in public, its an unwritten rule in life.

Others are of the opinion that he has mental illness so that excuses him from the scrutiny or reproach of anyone, either that or because he's back in the black...and white 😂
Being a Barrister (as you say you are) wouldn't you need some evidence to make your argument against Beams?
Could you provide us with that evidence so we can test it?

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Being a Barrister (as you say you are) wouldn't you need some evidence to make your argument against Beams?
Could you provide us with that evidence so we can test it?
Sorry, what argument am i "making against beams"? I made a comment on how i perceived the public comments that he made in light of the fact he had previously been quite happy to accept their sponsorship money and pimp out their product then when the commercial deal was concluded he bags them out. I made no other comment about him or his life or the challenges he is facing, apart from some general social commentary based on my own experiences which I did not in any way infer that that was about him. Redirect counsellor 😂

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Conjecture, hear say, rumors and buggerlugs down at the TAB at the pub are what they are.
We have until March to find out.
I really hope Dayne is well. If he isn't, I hope he is getting the support he and his family need.
To suggest anything else like the whole club is sick of him or why didn't we see it coming is LNP victim blaming 101.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry, what argument am i "making against beams"? I made a comment on how i perceived the public comments that he made in light of the fact he had previously been quite happy to accept their sponsorship money and pimp out their product then when the commercial deal was concluded he bags them out. I made no other comment about him or his life or the challenges he is facing, apart from some general social commentary based on my own experiences which I did not in any way infer that that was about him. Redirect counsellor 😂
Counsel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back