Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Have seen a few instagram vids he's put up focasing in his art... and really seems to be loving it.

His selling of his medal really took me by surprise and was really happy to see he was doing things his way... it was a symbol to me of him breaking the shackles... taking control of who he wants to be.

All signs to me are that he wants to move forward on his own road.

I did hear a rumour that he may announce his retirement this week, the source is irrelevant because it's a rumour and the source is not him, his wife or his kids...

but it does bring me to ask... is this really happening?

If he does retire, I will be happy for him. Taking control of his own road, in fact, carving it out with a bull dozer. If it's untrue, I hope he can find happiness back in a place he has struggled to find it for years.

Side by Side forever Beamer.

No matter what path you walk, I love ya.

I like Dayne Beams, I wish him luck of for the rest of his life, however he’s no saint as beams have cost us two kids which could’ve end up stars and I’m sure the kids in 2018/2019 draft wanted to play for Collingwood.

Have heard from someone at the club, that he has already told the players he won’t be back. He’s trying to get his head around when to make it official out in the media ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

If he retires, there's no doubt that there will be a lot of negative comments about the merit of the trade.

In hindsight, it has turned out to be a shocker.

I try never to judge a decision in hindsight. I try to look back at the evidence and information available at the time the decision was made and see if the decision was correct at the time.

The Need for Beams
We were coming off a very close GF loss, and it was largely accepted that we were 1 quality mid short. For all the talk about lack of KPPs, it was really the midfield that let us down on GF day. Dayne Beams was a quality midfielder who could have filled that void.

On the flip side, it could be argued that our midfield was dominant all year, and only let us down on GF day. Sidebottom was well held, Pendles was suffering from countless injuries, Treloar was underdone following his hamstring surgery and Sier was only an 11 game player. So perhaps we could have banked more on internal improvement as opposed to trying to buy it.

The Window of Opportunity
I have no issue with a club going hard when they are in a window. We ultimately lost picks 17 (2018) and 17(2019) out of the deal, and I would argue neither would be serving us any purpose whilst in this window. So attacking a quality player had my blessings. I believe you should be more conservative when you are in rebuilding phase, as you want to bank quality young players. The question therefore is whether Dayne Beams was the correct player to target.

The Actual Trade
I maintain that the actual deal done wasn't too bad. We were always going to take Quaynor and Kelly with our first 2 picks. Quaynor was bid on at pick 13, so we would have had to use pick 17 on him. We got enough points from the deal to secure Kelly as well without going into deficit. So to come our with Beams, Quaynor and Kelly was our objective...and we did that.

We lost pick 17 this year (would have been 16 but bunked down for GC priority). But I think we would have been pretty wrapped with Bianco and Rantall. We basically said to Bianco we were no chance of getting him because he'd be gone by our pick. And we obviously rated Rantall even higher because we took him ahead of Bianco even though he was available. Time will tell whether the net difference between pick 17 or Rantall will be that high.

The only question becomes whether we could have used 2 first round picks in a more beneficial trade.

Opportunity Cost
We could never know what was available...but did we miss out on other opportunities because we chased Beams? Ie, Dylan Sheil was on the market for a similar price, or we could have made a play at Saad. Could we have thrown more money at Tom Lynch? Could we have entered the Coniglio race this year? We'll never know because we threw our eggs into the Dayne Beams basket.

At a minimum, I think it cost us James Aish last year because we had a salary cap squeeze.

The Physical and Mental Issues
Only those internal could tell us as fact whether we were aware of the mental issues Dayne is facing. We all know he was battling after the loss of his dad...but did we know the extend of his battle? Or more particularly...SHOULD we have known the extent of his battle.

There are rumours around the gambling debts. Are these rumours true? And if so, should that have been the red flag?

He had physical ailments which had kept him away from a lot of footy. He had hip surgery early last year as well. Was our physical thorough enough? Or were we blinded by the romance of bringing back a premiership player and club champion?

Finally, is he a good bloke? He bailed on us once, and did the same to Brisbane after telling everyone he would never leave at the best and fairest night. All questions that only those internal can answer.

Non Pies mates?

giphy.gif
if you have any more relevant GIFs, jokes or comments, this thread offers ample opportunity to let loose anything amusing you've left unsaid or even said but could restate with even the slightest of variation. I understand that there seems to be movement on the board as the word is passed around that an announcement is imminent, but I am only interested now in the decision not the preamble to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back