Player Watch Dayne Beams

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually people suffering depression find moving beyond the walls of their house an onerous task, let alone running art classes and doing guest appearances at sportsman's nights. Certainly that's been my experience of depression. So can we rule that out as a contributor to Beam's issues?

That's a broad brush TGG.

My experience with depression is that some people are able to remain functional but others are debilitated.

There's also the grey area that some activities trigger the dark feelings whereas others seem to help. I'd say that in the case of Beams art classes help and the guest appearances could be cathartic as they afford him the opportunity to speak .

To be frank, I'm a bit cynical about Beams but I'm trying to be fair.

I'd like to club to facilitate an end to this so we can all get some closure from this sorry tale, but I accept that this might not occur in my expected timeframe.

I was merely using that as an example of how a previous provision in the CBA worked. Don't get carried away.
Although Swanny was also a member of the "rat pack" he had a genuine career ending injury and I think it is worth remembering this and also I think Swan,s exit will be vastly different to Beams.

That's a broad brush TGG.

My experience with depression is that some people are able to remain functional but others are debilitated.

There's also the grey area that some activities trigger the dark feelings whereas others seem to help. I'd say that in the case of Beams art classes help and the guest appearances could be cathartic as they afford him the opportunity to speak .

To be frank, I'm a bit cynical about Beams but I'm trying to be fair.

I'd like to club to facilitate an end to this so we can all get some closure from this sorry tale, but I accept that this might not occur in my expected timeframe.
I think your correct I do not think it will happen any time soon and I think you right to be cynical about Beams just check his history and it is hard to be anything but cynical.

I'm not speaking to Dayne's status, but my own shambolic relationship with depression hasn't prevented me from making and keeping various professional and social commitments. The depression might well be ongoing, but so is life, and so most sufferers find a way to (mostly) shuffle through.

That doesn't mean I'd be able to operate in an elite sporting environment (fine physique notwithstanding), and I've often cancelled or postponed my commitments because of mental immobilisation, but I guess my point is that functionality is still possible.
Fair enough. Depression can affect people in different ways.

Inability to sleep longer than 2-3 hours a night greatly inhibits my ability to function in the community or even link together words on bigfooty. Too many waking hours spent alone in the dark create unwanted anxiety time. Being constantly tired affects my ability to be the laconic and funny self I used to be. In the daytime I worry how I will sleep that night, knowing that I won't. That's the most debilitating effect of my depression.

There are issues other than depression eroding Beams' ability to perform at the highest level or,indeed, even visit his workplace and be warmly received by players. At this stage, we are just guessing the nature of his afflictions. The most intriguing aspect of Beams problem is the seeming lack of sympathy and support from his former teammates.
Some people are at their happiest moment before attempting self harm. Its incredibly hard to spot.
Or before suicide.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, its probably me....

Can i just add that i use the term self harm because not all acts are designed to achieve death or succeed.
Once people have made the decision to suicide they often seem calm and relaxed. Yes I understood why you used self harm and almost felt that further comment was not required.

Fair enough. Depression can affect people in different ways.

Inability to sleep longer than 2-3 hours a night greatly inhibits my ability to function in the community or even link together words on bigfooty. Too many waking hours spent alone in the dark create unwanted anxiety time. Being constantly tired affects my ability to be the laconic and funny self I used to be. In the daytime I worry how I will sleep that night, knowing that I won't. That's the most debilitating effect of my depression.

There are issues other than depression eroding Beams' ability to perform at the highest level or,indeed, even visit his workplace and be warmly received by players. At this stage, we are just guessing the nature of his afflictions. The most intriguing aspect of Beams problem is the seeming lack of sympathy and support from his former teammates.
Or before suicide.

There is a lot of guesswork in relation to Dayne. It seems to go beyond depression, but in any case he's a man in need of help and I hope he gets it.

I usually sleep too much when those clouds roll in, and become near-manic and sleepless when they roll away again, as if to make up for lost time. A bit of regularity would be appreciated.

+ $1 mill on a ruck.....Baw haw haw.... tigers won two priemierships without a ruck....smart spending!!!! Beams, Grundy ....and the grand muppet Eddie to continue at the helm....talk about self implosion....when you guys are running 8-10 this year, de goey will take the 5 year $5 mill offer at shinboners.....collapse complete...Baw haw haw

And you could have won three....how do you spell that again??? in a row....if a certain club hadn't intervened!
You're welcome.

+ $1 mill on a ruck.....Baw haw haw.... tigers won two priemierships without a ruck....smart spending!!!! Beams, Grundy ....and the grand muppet Eddie to continue at the helm....talk about self implosion....when you guys are running 8-10 this year, de goey will take the 5 year $5 mill offer at shinboners.....collapse complete...Baw haw haw
Baw haw haw? What are you, an 80s cartoon character?

I'll never understand why people feel the need to do this. Do you feel good now ?

I've been on this site for nearly 16 years and i have never even visited the Richmond board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood why other clubs fans always enjoyed potting and abusing other teams lower down the order, or going through leaner periods.

Above we have a Richmond fan getting excited about another club potentially declining (not even yet having declined), as if they themselves didn't stumble and all but account for nothing for the best part of 25-30 years.

Every club goes through good and bad times, it's just a shame how quickly some forget the lows.

Last edited:
You should be banned for life just because of your queer baw haw haw what the hell is that ?. You absolute mug can't wait for Richmond to go garbage again so we dont have to hear from use for another 40 years.

Very few of us do. I’m simply presenting a scenario where you could both be right.

I also agree re his entitlement, however I would be surprised if there wasn’t something in AFL contracts about gross misconduct. Then the narrative becomes one of does a players mental well-being absolve them from a potentially serious transgression. It’s serious business no matter which angle you take which is why I doubt it will be resolved until the very last minute that the SSP can be utilised.

It’s a fact that there was players at Collingwood exploiting that loophole. I’m just kite flying and having a hypothetical discussion with Beams name in the mix. Although if that quad injury was a quad injury it is the most bizarre in league history, IMO.

Beams said himself at the time that in his enthusiasm to get back ASAP he pushed over and above what the training and medical staff were asking him to do and re-tweaked the quad which put him back to square 1 in his rehab. I guess the fact he re-tweaked it would have extended the 2nd rehab process.

Baw haw haw? What are you, an 80s cartoon character?

Your post made me wistful. I then recalled one of my favourites from old times, the (obviously) unforgettable Jabberjaw. He was a 15-foot great white shark who drummed with an underwater band in the 1970s. They don't make them --sharks or cartoons-- like that anymore.

It seemed appropriate to posit this memory. Apologies for overshare.

If he can function okay at a sportsman,s night you would think he is able to train,you cannot have lt both ways,I wonder what he will say at the speaking date and I did note that memorabilia will be sold on the night so that maybe another source of income.

The longer this drags on the worse it becomes and surely people realize that he does not give a stuff about the "Mighty Pies",just show him the door and have done with it.

Yeah, just pay him out his alleged $400k a year for the remaining 3 years of his contract, take the $1.2m hit to the salary cap, and then pretend we wont/can't be sued for wrongful dismissal... what could possibly go wrong.

Beams said himself at the time that in his enthusiasm to get back ASAP he pushed over and above what the training and medical staff were asking him to do and re-tweaked the quad which put him back to square 1 in his rehab. I guess the fact he re-tweaked it would have extended the 2nd rehab process.

What about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th because it was a lot more than 1 setbacks and if you were serving a suspension being covered up by injury what would you say on the record whenever you suffered setbacks right in the eve of returning? It was the most suspect injury I can remember.

What about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th because it was a lot more than 1 setbacks and if you were serving a suspension being covered up by injury what would you say on the record whenever you suffered setbacks right in the eve of returning? It was the most suspect injury I can remember.

May well have been multiple other "setbacks" through both rehab periods but all I was doing was paraphrasing what he said at the time.

He missed 15 rounds of senior footy. I assume he played a VFL game or 2 before returning and given the extended absence likely underwent a mini-preseason before returning to any level so there's 3-5 weeks of his senior absence explained which would leave 4 or 5 or 6 weeks (based on your 16 week timeframe) for each of his rehab periods. How bad was his initial injury, how bad was the recurrence, how do they compare with other players with quad recoveries? Just doesn't seem all that bizarre to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back