Senior Dayne Zorko (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Five talking points: Melbourne v Brisbane Lions
4. Great Daynes inspire Lions
Despite being stuck on the bottom of the AFL ladder, the Lions have shown enough this season to suggest they are rebuilding in promising fashion. Chris Fagan's team have made a habit of pushing high-ranked teams in the past six weeks and that continued against the Demons on Sunday. Star midfielders Dayne Beams and Dayne Zorko, who are both in All Australian contention, were outstanding in driving their side's fighting spirit. Zorko was particularly influential in the first half, with 17 disposals, five clearances and one goal. With Zorko slowing down a little after half-time, as he finished with 26 thanks to a hard tag from Jake Melksham, Beams was there to pick up the slack and bring his team back to within striking distance every time the Demons looked to be kicking away. Beams racked up 33 disposals and kicked three goals to the Lions' best player.

AFL Fan Awards: Vote for best midfielder
Dayne Zorko
This criminally underrated Lion has soared to new heights in 2017, despite what has been a tough year for his side. His lightning speed and goal-kicking ability put him in the upper echelon of midfielders in the competition, and he has been a shining light in Queensland this season.

Zorko earns All Australian honours
Brisbane Lions midfielder Dayne Zorko has been selected in the 22-man All Australian team for 2017.

Picked on the half forward line alongside Robbie Gray and Lance Franklin, Zorko is the Lions first All Australian selection since Tom Rockliff in 2014.

In 21 games, Zorko averaged 16 kicks, 4 marks and 9 handballs each match. He also kicked 34 goals and recorded 147 tackles, the fifth highest in the AFL.
ZorkoAAHero17t.jpg

Zorko surprised by buzz around rising Lions
THE BRISBANE Lions may have finished the season on the bottom of the ladder, but the competition's best players are full of admiration for their improvement under new coach Chris Fagan.

Speaking less than 24 hours after earning his first All Australian selection, dynamic midfielder Dayne Zorko was pleasantly surprised by the buzz around the Lions at Wednesday night's function.

"Even talking in the room last night among a lot of the opposition players, they really admire what we've been able to achieve this year," Zorko said on Thursday afternoon. "I was taken by surprise. "That fact it came from so many players was good recognition for the club and it shows we ae on the right track and that they may be potentially worried when we play them down the track."

Although winning just five games and finishing with the wooden spoon, the Lions improved by 14 percentage points – and two wins – on 2016. Zorko's season has been spectacular. He has averaged 25 disposals, seven tackles and kicked 34 goals in a brilliant year.

The diminutive midfielder was overlooked in four drafts before being traded by Gold Coast to the Lions at the end of 2011 and conceded he had doubts he'd reach these lofty heights.

"I think most players do when you keep getting overlooked so many times," he said. "I just tried to continuously work on areas I need to improve my game and at that time it was speed and endurance."

Now the 28-year-old, who is favoured to make it a hat-trick of best and fairests on Friday night, says he is convinced the Lions are on the right track. "I think Chris (Fagan) has really bought in an attitude and culture shift that we want to get better every time we take the field, whether it's playing, training or in the gym," he said. "I consistently run with that mindset now and it's something ingrained with me. "I feel like the club is in a really strong position now. I feel like we've certainly turned a corner. "I think as a team we understand now what it takes and we understand it takes a lot of hard work.

"We've all bought in and we're ready for the ride."
546627-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rival clubs starting to fear Lions
DAYNE Zorko says equal to the thrill of earning his first All-Australian selection was hearing feedback from the game’s elite that the Lions were on the right track.

Brisbane has been little more than an afterthought for the rest of the competition in recent years but Zorko was stunned to hear the new-found respect his club was held in by his peers.

“Talking among the other players at the awards, they really admire what we have been able to achieve this year,’’ he said. “It took me by surprise and the fact it came from so many players was really good recognition for the club and it shows we are on the right track and they potentially might be a little bit worried when we play them down the track. “We don’t necessarily look at wins and losses, we know it is important and what our season is judged on, but we look at the process and how we can get to that last day in September.

“We think as a team now we understand what it takes to do that.” Zorko becomes the second current Lion to be named in the team of the year, following Tom Rockliff’s selection in 2014.

His name now sits alongside club greats such as Michael Voss, Simon Black, Nigel Lappin, Justin Leppitsch, Jonathon Brown, Chris Johnson and Jason Akermanis.

“You never really go into a team sport wanting to win personal awards but when they come along it is great and good recognition for the hard work you’ve put in,” he said. “It is a long list with the likes of Michael Voss and Simon Black and in recent years Rocky has been fortunate enough to make the side. “I am very humbled and honoured to be in the position I am.’’

Zorko has won the past two club championships and is set to add a third on Friday night and has been Brisbane’s best player for several years now. But he said it is his move into the midfield that gained him greater recognition across the competition.

“I’ve spent a lot of time playing forward and on the wing but this year Fages (coach Chris Fagan) and the coaching staff have given me the opportunity to play in the midfield,’’ he said. “I feel like the more time you spend around the ball, it is only natural that you are going to get more of it. “I think taking my opportunities in front of goal too, I kicked 34 goals which is quite a high number for a midfielder in the competition. “I’m lucky to be standing here as an All Australian representative.’’

Zorko crowned top Lion for third time
DAYNE Zorko has placed his name alongside some of Brisbane’s greatest servants by claiming his third Merrett-Murray Medal as club champion.

The goal-kicking midfielder capped off his finest season, which included his first selection in the All-Australian squad, with a 53-vote win over captain Dayne Beams. Former captain Tom Rockliff was third with 214 votes.

Zorko was presented with the medal by chairman Bob Sharpless and club legends Kevin Murray and Roger Merrett at a gala function at the Brisbane Convention Centre last night.

The 28-year-old has now won the past three club championships to sit alongside premiership heroes Simon Black and Jonathan Brown as three-time winners.

Premiership captain Michael Voss won two club championships at the Brisbane Bears and another three for the merged club. Kevin Murray holds the Fitzroy record with nine best and fairests. Zorko kicked 34 goals and averaged 25 disposals over 21 games as he flourished under new coach Chris Fagan.

46f6556d944ef93dfa50563ec1cd2771

He said Fagan’s decision to move him into the midfield more permanently was the reason for his most successful season. “I’ve spent a lot of time playing forward and on the wing but this year Fages (Fagan) and the coaching staff have given me the opportunity to play in the midfield,’’ he said. “I feel like the more time you spend around the ball it is only natural that you are going to get more of it. “I think taking my opportunities in front of goal too. “I kicked 34 goals which is quite a high number for a midfielder in the competition.’’

Zorko was also recognised as the Hyundai Club Player of the Year, for a second year running.

Lion caps off big week with third straight B&F
DAYNE Zorko has capped a great week, making it a hat-trick of Merrett-Murray Medals by winning the Brisbane Lions' best and fairest on Friday night. Zorko (277) finished ahead of captain Dayne Beams (224) and vice-captain Tom Rockliff (214) to add to his 2015 and 2016 crowns.

It comes just two days after the 28-year-old also earned his first All Australian selection. Zorko had a magnificent season, averaging 25 disposals, seven tackles and kicking 34 goals playing primarily as a midfielder.

The Lions magician was presented his medal by chairman Bob Sharpless and the men it is named after - Kevin Murray and Roger Merrett. Zorko equals Lions greats Simon Black, Jonathan Brown and Michael Voss as triple winners, although Voss also won two more club champions with the Brisbane Bears.

"This year 'Fages' (coach Chris Fagan) and the coaching staff gave me the opportunity to play in the midfield," Zorko said. "And the more time you spend around the ball, it's only natural you're going to get more of it. "I think taking my opportunities in front of goal (also helped)."

The voting process allows Fagan and his five assistant coaches to give a maximum of four votes a match (so a maximum score of 24) based on the player’s overall performance, delivery on all team criteria and execution of trademark.

Congratulations Dayne, my brother went to high school with you, I think you went to Benowa High School he was a year behind you.

Player Review: Dayne Zorko
2017 was a defining season for Brisbane Lions veteran Dayne Zorko. The midfielder hit career-best form and was recognised as one of the best players in the country, receiving his first All Australian blazer.

“The Magician” kicked the most goals for the Lions this season, finishing with 34 in his 21 games. He was awarded his third consecutive Merrett-Murray Medal as the Club’s Best and Fairest and equalled Lions veterans Simon Black, Jonathan Brown and Michael Voss for the most Merrett-Murray Medals [Voss previously won two Club Champion awards with the Brisbane Bears].

Nothing, not even an infected leg, could stop Zorko towards the tail end of the season. He is fired up for the Lions to achieve more on-field success in 2018.

Statistics:
  • Games: 21
  • Disposals per game: 25.0
  • Tackles per game: 7.0
  • Marks per game: 3.8
  • Kicks per game: 16.2
  • Total goals: 34
Highlights:
  • Named vice-captain as part of the Lions’ seven-man Leadership Group
  • Highest goalkicker for the Club this season with 34 goals
  • Awarded his first All-Australian blazer
  • Awarded the Merrett-Murray Medal for the Lions’ Best and Fairest for a consecutive third year
  • The AFL’s fifth highest tackler
WEBPRZorkoText.jpg

Coaches’ Comment, Dale Tapping Midfield Coach:

Dayne had a terrific season and was rewarded with AA selection on the back some outstanding performances. His ability to go inside as a mid and then go forward to impact the scoreboard was a major threat to the opposition. His leadership also went to another level which was important with our young group.

In their own words:

“I am very humbled and honoured to be in the position I am. “You never really go into a team sport wanting to win personal awards but when they come along it is great and good recognition for the hard work you’ve put in.

“We don’t necessarily look at wins and losses, we know it is important and what our season is judged on, but we look at the process and how we can get to that last day in September. “We think as a team now we understand what it takes to do that.”

Fagan was equally as excited for Dayne Zorko’s promotion to vice-captain.

“After having such a successful season on-field last year, this is reward for effort for ‘Zorks’ in his off-field attitude as well," Fagan said.

"Having recently played for Australia and been around the best players in the game, we know he will bring that strong work ethic and resilience to our group.
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-02-07/2018-leadership-group-

Finals dream alive for Brisbane Lions' Dayne Zorko but more hard work to do

"I would absolutely love to play in a final, that would be amazing. It would mean a lot. I have put in a lot of hard work over the past six years," he said.

"Hopefully, with the list we have got now, and we are constantly building on that list and getting better, hopefully, that's to come in years to come. I will be really looking forward to the opportunity when it does come."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...but-more-hard-work-to-do-20180206-h0uewf.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back