Senior Dayne Zorko (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Journalist asking if sport is about winning :eek:.

Now THAT is captain speak. I have always hoped for Rich to be captain, and have not been disappointed with Rocky but..

..I doubt either of them would have been so honest and genuine as Zorko in that interview.

Fire and brimstone from the heart........that is what our team needs imo..

Top marks Zorks, love your passion.

Brisbane midfielder Dayne Zorko holds no regrets over post-loss comments as he prepares to captain the Lions

DAYNE Zorko does not regret a word of the savage spray he delivered to teammates after Brisbane’s bashing at the hands of North Melbourne.

Zorko knows the brutal assessment of the 82-point drubbing will count for nothing unless the Lions deliver a vastly improved performance against Richmond at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Seething Zorko used Monday’s post-recovery press conference to slam Brisbane’s commitment in the loss to the Kangaroos and did not spare himself from the blowtorch.

Missed this one from a couple of days ago.

Think as been fantastic the last month. It's a shame the boys have no reward for their efforts over the last 4 games. Hopefully this weekend surely.

Zorko: The Future is Bright

“I’m extremely committed to seeing the rebuild of the Club through,” said Zorko.

“A lot of blokes have come and gone from the Club in the four years that I have been here but the group we have here at the moment, the young kids coming through, there’s a lot of really good signs.

“If we can keep adding to that, like we did with Dayne Bemas and Bundy Christensen and Mitch Robinson adding experience around the group, then I’m committed as ever because it looks like an extremely bright future at the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions leaders Rockliff and Zorko deny rift

"'Rocky' goes about things really well as captain of this footy club," Zorko said.

"You could see from the reaction from a heap of the boys across social media last night how much of a laugh it was to suggest that we are angry or fighting with each other."

Lessons are invaluable for the young group says Zorko

VICE CAPTAIN Dayne Zorko’s form in the back half of the season has been exceptional. The 26-year old racked up a game high 38 possessions on Saturday against Adelaide and attributes a move further up the ground to getting the most out of his football.

“It’s come with a bit of a positional change, I guess”, Zorko told lions.com.au

“I’ve moved up onto the wing whereas earlier in the year I was playing a bit off half forward and not getting lost, but just not having probably that same zip and speed that I had towards the end of last year.

“It was a bit of a positional change for mine and it seems to have worked wonders.

“I’m enjoying the role on the wing, so hopefully they’ll keep me there.”

AFL Players' MVP: Our Nominees

Three Lions have been nominated as finalists for the AFL Players’ Most Valuable Player.

Dayne Beams, Stefan Martin and Dayne Zorko all received the highest votes among their Brisbane teammates.

In a difficult year for the Brisbane Lions, Dayne Zorko has provided many of the club’s highlights.

The speedy midfielder/forward has led his side for running bounces this season (along with Lewis Taylor), regularly breaking the game open and providing the Lions with some of their best forays inside 50.

Averaging more than 22 disposals, four tackles and three inside 50s per game in 2015, Zorko has kicked multiple goals in five games so far this season.

Dayne Zorko in no rush to extend his contract past 2016 as rumours of unrest persist (Ralphy joining the fray)

BRISBANE vice-captain Dayne Zorko continues to deny rumours of discontent at the Lions, but is in no rush to sign a contract extension at the club.

Zorko and his captain Tom Rockliff have mocked stories they are at loggerheads as rumblings continue about the popularity of coach Justin Leppitsch.

The Lions are keen to sit down with Zorko and extend his contract past its 2016 expiry date as a show of strength in its established stars.

But his manager Adam Hall, of Stride Sports, said Zorko would likely hold off talks for some time yet.

He stressed that Zorko was happy at the club but like all players was desperate to see team success.

“He is happy and he’s contracted until end of next year so there is no rush,” Hall said.

It is understood that while Rockliff and Zorko are close friends, the captain is a more intense leader and his vice-captain much more relaxed.

It means players on the team who have been frustrated with the poor season and Leppitsch’s leadership have at times gravitated to Zorko.

That has meant honest and robust conversations between Zorko and Rockliff but the players continue to maintain they are close friends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back