Universal Love DBJ re-signs!

Great stuff!

DBJ's meteoric rise just goes to show that young players need time and they need opportunity. Every player on our list has talent and potential, otherwise they wouldn't be there. A bit of faith can go a long way.

Best 'hidden in plain sight' player since I can't remember when. I saw him play a whole heap of games in the SANFL and with my incredible judgement declared him a worthless bust. But from the pre-season this year - wow! I said elsewhere recently he was our most important unsigned player and so glad to see that resolved.

Now for Mitchell and Krak, then time to close the books. Come at me!

Best 'hidden in plain sight' player since I can't remember when. I saw him play a whole heap of games in the SANFL and with my incredible judgement declared him a worthless bust. But from the pre-season this year - wow! I said elsewhere recently he was our most important unsigned player and so glad to see that resolved.

Now for Mitchell and Krak, then time to close the books. Come at me!

Hopefully the books get closed before we get to that one.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I talked my wifes boss (she is his PA) who is a staunch Carlton supporter to be Darcy's player sponsor this year after watching him debuting against Essendon.

The upside to this is that I get to go along to all of the corporate functions.

Darcy is an incredibly grounded and genuinely nice guy - well done on literally dragging your football career from the gutter.

Dave Omsby

Club Legend
May 18, 2014
Aldinga, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I couldn't believe Darcy didn't get a mention in about 8 journalists top 5 rising star contenders .
I guess I haven't seen the others so much but Darcy didn't get dropped all year and was very impressive

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I couldn't believe Darcy didn't get a mention in about 8 journalists top 5 rising star contenders .
I guess I haven't seen the others so much but Darcy didn't get dropped all year and was very impressive
He had an excellent year. His real asset was his consistency, and standing out in a crappy Port effort all year. But the reality is that there are players that played great in great teams throughout the year. So IMO Darcy is not even in consideration for the gong

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He had an excellent year. His real asset was his consistency, and standing out in a crappy Port effort all year. But the reality is that there are players that played great in great teams throughout the year. So IMO Darcy is not even in consideration for the gong
But surely, playing well in a massively under performing team, when the leaders aren't leading, is more impressive than playing well in a great team where you're not put under constant pressure from your team-,mates' clangers.

But surely, playing well in a massively under performing team, when the leaders aren't leading, is more impressive than playing well in a great team where you're not put under constant pressure from your team-,mates' clangers.
If the awards weren't about generating column inches, you'd be correct.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I cant understand people complaining that Darcy didnt get a vote. I am not surprised, and didnt expect him to get any. he played well throughout the year, was very consistent, and was a good find & rare highlight for our season. But he was up against Callum Mills, Caleb Daniel, Jacob Weitering, Jade Gresham, Christian Petracca, Darcy Parish, Darcy Moore, Clayton Oliver and Lachie Weller. That is NINE players before him that had absolutely ripper seasons, and just shon in their teams. I watched a lot of footy this year besides Power games, and I can tell you that one-eyed Port supporter that I am, I wouldnt even be able to give Darcy ONE point if I was voting. remember they vote 5 down to 1. My top five are 5] Callum Mills, 4] Jacob Weitering, 3] Caleb Daniel, 2] Jade Gresham, 1] Christian Petracca/Darcy Moore. IMO Darcy is around 7th or 8th ... out of the points.

Does that mean he has been slighted? Not in the least, he is up against some elite talent here, and to be singled out in the top-23 players of the season has to be something special. If he continues to build on this year he has a bright future ... something acknowledged by most of the media, even if they didnt award him any points.

Well done young Darcy! In among a very elite group of youngsters!

Last edited:
I cant understand people complaining that Darcy didnt get a vote. I am not surprised, and didnt expect him to get any. he played well throughout the year, was very consistent, and was a good find & rare highlight for our season. But he was up against Callum Mills, Caleb Daniel, Jacob Weitering, Jade Gresham, Christian Petracca, Darcy Parish, Darcy Moore, Clayton Oliver and Lachie Weller. That is NINE players before him that had absolutely ripper seasons, and just shon in their teams. I watched a lot of footy this year besides Power games, and I can tell you that one-eyed Port supporter that I am, I wouldnt even be able to give Darcy ONE point if I was voting. remember they vote 5 down to 1. My top five are 5] Callum Mills, 4] Jacob Weitering, 3] Caleb Daniel, 2] Jade Gresham, 1] Christian Petracca/Darcy Moore. IMO Darcy is around 7th or 8th ... out of the points.

Does that mean he has been slighted? Not in the least, he is up against some elite talent here, and to be singled out in the top-23 players of the season has to be something special. If he continues to build on this year he has a bright future ... something acknowledged by most of the media, even if they didnt award him any points.

It was a very competitive field this year. Normally you get half a dozen or more token nominations in the back half of the season but this year there were still guys like Moore, Mills, Barrass, Wright, etc, not getting nominated until late in the season. Pretty much every name on that list look like near certain 100 gamers to me. No shame for DBJ not to poll a vote.

Roy Laird could learn a thing or two from you, young man.

It's called graciousness, Spooked By Planes.

Back