Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep that's the photo I'm referring to. Didn't make the final movie though. Perhaps it's meant to be Grayson killed by Joker, but that wouldn't make sense. Has to be Todd surely as you can't have both Todd and Grayson dead in this universe right?

But then again with DC's track record of making s**t up as they go along, who knows.

Yes completely agree. Seems they're going for quantity over quality. Should be the other way around.

I wish they could just make one good, coherent film and then go from there. Instead, we're getting movies jumbled together with bits and pieces from its history.

A bit of The Dark Knight Returns mixed with Death/Life of Superman mixed with elements of Injustice and Death In The Family. And now Birds of Prey, Sirens and Justice Leage Dark?

******* hell. I'd trade all of these new movies in production for a high quality Batman solo. I don't know if Johns is tasked with making as many movies as they can, but **** at some point we need a decent film that finally steers it back on track.
If the Grayson grave didn't make it into the final theatrical or ultimate cut of bvs then it really doesn't count as being part of the story does it ? (I've thought for a while that the solo batman film will feature Jason Todds reappearance as red hood and perhaps a team up between him and deathstroke and maybe this is why bvs and suicide squad didn't really touch the death of robin)

I get your point about quality over quantity but marvel did the same thing with the mcu (having all the pre avengers films in the works prior to Iron Man being a success) I think that's the way it has to be when doing these universes

If the Grayson grave didn't make it into the final theatrical or ultimate cut of bvs then it really doesn't count as being part of the story does it ? (I've thought for a while that the solo batman film will feature Jason Todds reappearance as red hood and perhaps a team up between him and deathstroke and maybe this is why bvs and suicide squad didn't really touch the death of robin)

I get your point about quality over quantity but marvel did the same thing with the mcu (having all the pre avengers films in the works prior to Iron Man being a success) I think that's the way it has to be when doing these universes

Red Hood rumours have been floating around for some time and I think that would be an excellent story. If they do it correctly of course, which is always the reservation I have given what has been dished up so far.

And this is very different to what Marvel have done. Remember, this was the original film schedule when the DCEU was announced 2 years ago:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25, 2016
Suicide Squad - August 5, 2016
Wonder Woman - June 23, 2017
Justice League - November 17, 2017
The Flash - March 23, 2018
Aquaman - July 27, 2018
Shazam - April 5, 2019
Justice League Part Two - June 14, 2019
Cyborg - April 3, 2020
Green Lantern - June 19, 2020

From the above, it seems JL 2 has been shelved to open the door for The Batman. Shazam has also been pushed back I believe.

The new concepts I'm referring to (Sirens, Birds of Prey, JL Dark and now Nightwing) are all in addition to the above. It has grown in size and scale considerably since inception. And still with no one coherent, outstanding film.

Hell we've now even got Mel Gibson in discussions to direct SS 2. It's getting a bit out of hand IMO. Sure if they're all well executed films, then there's plenty to look forward to.

But from what the track record suggests, DC are still making s**t up as they go along. At the time of MoS, the opening film of the universe, there was still the intention of combining with Nolan and Bale.

That screams of a lack of plan and outline for the universe. Johns is the man tasked with righting the wrongs and I'm much more at ease with him involved but the concern is he's come in too late to ensure WW and JL deliver.

If they're smart they'd just copy the animated film as there isn't really a need to alter the Jason Todd/Red Hood side of things at all for this universe

And in regards to Marvel they pretty much had the next 4 years from Iron Man planned so it's somewhat similar if not exact (They claim they had infinity war planned from the beginning but I reckon they just shoved thanos at the end of avengers and hoped they'd work it out later )

Think they should go Miller style with the Batman movie, age Affleck up to 65ish and go really dark. Back there original vision and don't try and replicate the Marvel universe. Could do some interesting hints to stuff that happened in coming JLA movies.

At the time of MoS, the opening film of the universe, there was still the intention of combining with Nolan and Bale.
Which is really what they should have done; thrown the kitchen sink at Bale to get him to make small appearances rather than more full-length features. Then it would have seemed liked they had a solid foundation for their universe rather than the ad-hoc approach they have taken since.

Which is really what they should have done; thrown the kitchen sink at Bale to get him to make small appearances rather than more full-length features. Then it would have seemed liked they had a solid foundation for their universe rather than the ad-hoc approach they have taken since.

I believe they did throw a shitload of money at both Bale and Nolan to go again. But I just don't think it would have worked if so, for a number of reasons.

Anyway, the history of DC's shared universe plans has been mired with indecision and lack of planning for many years now. For example, a Justice League film was going to be released in 2009/10, featuring the likes of Armie Hammer as Batman and Megan Gale as Wonder Woman. Directed by Miller who I hope still comes on board down the track.

http://comicsalliance.com/justice-l...er-cast-photo-armie-hammer-adam-brody-common/

But it was canned after the success of The Dark Knight and the writers strike. Since then they let Nolan finish his trilogy and then kick things off again with a rebooted Superman. There hasn't been much synergy thus far with DC's plans, in stark contrast to Marvel and thus we have now a rushed and cobbled together universe.

I believe they did throw a shitload of money at both Bale and Nolan to go again. But I just don't think it would have worked if so, for a number of reasons.

Anyway, the history of DC's shared universe plans has been mired with indecision and lack of planning for many years now. For example, a Justice League film was going to be released in 2009/10, featuring the likes of Armie Hammer as Batman and Megan Gale as Wonder Woman. Directed by Miller who I hope still comes on board down the track.

http://comicsalliance.com/justice-l...er-cast-photo-armie-hammer-adam-brody-common/

But it was canned after the success of The Dark Knight and the writers strike. Since then they let Nolan finish his trilogy and then kick things off again with a rebooted Superman. There hasn't been much synergy thus far with DC's plans, in stark contrast to Marvel and thus we have now a rushed and cobbled together universe.
I wouldn't expect Nolan to jump on board, he's too much of an individual filmmaker; but I think they could and should have gone harder for Bale in order to provide that connection and synergy you speak of. They shouldn't have been spooked from doing a Man of Steel sequel and further establishing Superman before bringing them together. DC have been left behind by Marvel, in part by bad luck (if the success of the Dark Knight trilogy can be called bad luck, but it prevented them from starting to bring the movies together) and in part by their own bad decision making. Instead of laying the groundwork, they want to fast forward to where Marvel are now. The current mess is the end result.

As much as I love The Dark Knight and the whole trilogy I was happy to leave it behind after rises

Affleck really showed how batman should be played so I'm kinda over Bale (and merging Nolans Batman into the dceu even from day one wouldn't have worked at all)

I didn't watch the Oscars yesterday but saw a small clip where Mel Gibson was interviewed and asked about the Suicide Squad rumours - I think the most exciting thing was he seemingly confirmed there had been talks (mentioned that he had met some people but nothing was set it stone yet). Would be pretty cool to see this happen but won't get too excited just yet given the track record of directors coming and going in the DCEU.

Oh and apparently Suicide Squad won an Oscar for hair and makeup - a small win for the DCEU/WB I guess :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I'm glad that never happened.

It's quite amazing how close to reality this actually came. Not many realise how far advanced the movie was. Although Batman Begins was a great film (my favourite of the trilogy), it wasn't that large a financial success.

WB were already moving full steam ahead with other films with the aim of making a shitload more money. Only the writers strike and overwhelming success of TDK caused it to be shelved. I remember reading about Nolan and Bale being concerned that the JL movie would interfere with what they're working on, and after TDK they obviously had the bargaining power in their favour.

As much as I love The Dark Knight and the whole trilogy I was happy to leave it behind after rises

Affleck really showed how batman should be played so I'm kinda over Bale (and merging Nolans Batman into the dceu even from day one wouldn't have worked at all)

Yep it never would have worked and glad it wasn't forced together. For many reasons.

But I wouldn't say I'm over Bale. Both depictions were at various stages of Bruce's lifespan. Affleck is much more aligned with Miller's work which I'm very much a fan of, so I resonate more with it. By the same token, Miller's Year One influence was also palpable in Batman Begins which is why it remains my favourite.

It's quite amazing how close to reality this actually came. Not many realise how far advanced the movie was. Although Batman Begins was a great film (my favourite of the trilogy), it wasn't that large a financial success.

WB were already moving full steam ahead with other films with the aim of making a shitload more money. Only the writers strike and overwhelming success of TDK caused it to be shelved. I remember reading about Nolan and Bale being concerned that the JL movie would interfere with what they're working on, and after TDK they obviously had the bargaining power in their favour.

Yep it never would have worked and glad it wasn't forced together. For many reasons.

But I wouldn't say I'm over Bale. Both depictions were at various stages of Bruce's lifespan. Affleck is much more aligned with Miller's work which I'm very much a fan of, so I resonate more with it. By the same token, Miller's Year One influence was also palpable in Batman Begins which is why it remains my favourite.
Aren't Bale and Affleck's portrayals an older, grizzled Batman (by the end of Rises)? I would have thought Bale's version would have dovetailed nicely into where Batman was supposed to be at by the time of BvS.

Aren't Bale and Affleck's portrayals an older, grizzled Batman (by the end of Rises)? I would have thought Bale's version would have dovetailed nicely into where Batman was supposed to be at by the time of BvS.

Yes many element of TDKR was used for Rises. The long absence, you're in for a show tonight etc.

One of BvS' critical flaws is it did not explain the position this Bruce Wayne was in. When I first heard of the concept, I too thought it was a Bruce returning from 'retirement' with the emergence of the Superman threat, destruction of Metropolis etc.

But the film left it ambiguous, it sounds like he's been active for that 20 year timeframe. Without any extended breaks etc. This was extremely poorly done.

The death of Robin was the absolutely perfect catalyst for his retirement. And why he is so broken, angry, grizzled by the time Superman emerges. However, it was completely glossed over aside from a two second scene where he stares at his desecrated suit.

When I saw this moment in the SDCC trailer, I lost my s**t. I loved the concept. But it was a stupid decision it was not to explore this further.

What an opportunity missed.

I'm willing to give Ayer a second chance and also let's hope the studio doesn't rush him this time.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result....

but I somehow agree - I don't mind giving Ayer another chance....

I think his acknowledgement that he stuffed up with Suicide Squad and should have gone with the Joker as the main villain restored some of my faith in him.

Plus a Gotham City Sirens movie would be much smaller in scope than Suicide Squad (smaller roster of characters and hopefully easier to tie into the rest of the DCEU given other movies would have come out by then).

I'll probably regret saying it but I guess I'm just an optimist lol.

Yes many element of TDKR was used for Rises. The long absence, you're in for a show tonight etc.

One of BvS' critical flaws is it did not explain the position this Bruce Wayne was in. When I first heard of the concept, I too thought it was a Bruce returning from 'retirement' with the emergence of the Superman threat, destruction of Metropolis etc.

But the film left it ambiguous, it sounds like he's been active for that 20 year timeframe. Without any extended breaks etc. This was extremely poorly done.

The death of Robin was the absolutely perfect catalyst for his retirement. And why he is so broken, angry, grizzled by the time Superman emerges. However, it was completely glossed over aside from a two second scene where he stares at his desecrated suit.

When I saw this moment in the SDCC trailer, I lost my s**t. I loved the concept. But it was a stupid decision it was not to explore this further.

The other potential mess they've created is that if the Nightwing movie goes ahead, how do they explain Dick essentially leaving Bruce and Alfred alone to their devices - especially a broken and dejected Bruce after Robin's death. Dick (and whatever other members of the Bat family who come into the DCEU) would always watch out for Bruce and Alfred, doesn't really make sense that the inner circle of characters would stay idle while a hate filled Bruce goes on a crusade against Supes IMO...

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result....

but I somehow agree - I don't mind giving Ayer another chance....

I think his acknowledgement that he stuffed up with Suicide Squad and should have gone with the Joker as the main villain restored some of my faith in him.

Plus a Gotham City Sirens movie would be much smaller in scope than Suicide Squad (smaller roster of characters and hopefully easier to tie into the rest of the DCEU given other movies would have come out by then).

I'll probably regret saying it but I guess I'm just an optimist lol.

The other potential mess they've created is that if the Nightwing movie goes ahead, how do they explain Dick essentially leaving Bruce and Alfred alone to their devices - especially a broken and dejected Bruce after Robin's death. Dick (and whatever other members of the Bat family who come into the DCEU) would always watch out for Bruce and Alfred, doesn't really make sense that the inner circle of characters would stay idle while a hate filled Bruce goes on a crusade against Supes IMO...

Correct. I'd find it very hard to believe Nightwing already exists in this setting. Why would Grayson desert Bruce at this stage of his life? He would never allow him to descend to the brutal, murdering levels we saw in BvS.

But it's like Kevin Smith said, it appears Snyder had only ever read one Batman comic - TDKR.

I remember reading about Nolan and Bale being concerned that the JL movie would interfere with what they're working on, and after TDK they obviously had the bargaining power in their favour.
Unfortunately it was for this reason that Batman never appeared on Smallville

I never found this element of bvs hard to understand

Even if you don't know the comics I think everyone knows enough about Batman to understand why after 20 years he'd be the kind of person he's become, if you know the comics then you'll think of the whole Jason Todd storyline when you see the suit or of Harvey Dent when he talks about "how many men have stayed good" but even for the average moviegoer who doesn't recognise these nods they'll get the idea (or at least they should have but it seems a lot of people refused to use their brains when watching bvs as a lot of the critical complaints in regards to story were answered in the actual movie)

Correct. I'd find it very hard to believe Nightwing already exists in this setting. Why would Grayson desert Bruce at this stage of his life? He would never allow him to descend to the brutal, murdering levels we saw in BvS.

But it's like Kevin Smith said, it appears Snyder had only ever read one Batman comic - TDKR.
I reckon the angle they'll take is that Dick deserted Bruce because he started to kill and show little remorse (there's a great story there between the death of robin and the relationship between Bruce and Dick around this time so let's hope WB can get it right)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back