Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk is that there hoping Affleck will enjoy doing the flash movie and stick around or they will look at replacing him with Keaton

According to Muschietti, although The Flash is clearly Barry’s story, Affleck’s Bruce Wayne will play an important part in the young hero’s emotional story, acting not just as a mentor figure that he can bond with over that perennial shared superhero experience — dead parents — but will act as a Bat-baseline for when multiversal wackiness gives poor young Barry a second Batman to deal with. But both Keaton and Affleck’s presence in The Flash is far more important than either fanservice or even Barry’s journey.

The DCEU is trash though because it will always be hard to blend the darkness that Batman deserves with Fantasy magic. At least with a Bat universe you can be tonally consistent.

They sought if did the same thing with the tech base of Ironman and the fantastical of Thor.

It’s possible to get right and the later stuff from DCU has been great.

Last edited:
I thought they might go the route of Tony in the Spiderman movie, as sort of the mentor for Flash, like Tony was.

Again, this is just what I’m hearing and reading but that shepherding type role is more so the Keaton Batman. Affleck to feature as well in a smaller capacity and talks are ongoing for a Bale cameo.

Thankfully no mention as yet of Clooney :D

The DCEU is trash though because it will always be hard to blend the darkness that Batman deserves with Fantasy magic. At least with a Bat universe you can be tonally consistent.

I wouldn't go as far as trash but think Batman's involvement in JL should be limited. Most people will laugh at this but the Animated Movie universe has the tone bang on.

I also don't want it coming off like im slagging Batman, of all the movies, this is the one Im looking forward to.

Again, this is just what I’m hearing and reading but that shepherding type role is more so the Keaton Batman. Affleck to feature as well in a smaller capacity and talks are ongoing for a Bale cameo.

Get the Bat Credit Card out and Clooney will be IN!

I wouldn't go as far as trash but think Batman's involvement in JL should be limited. Most people will laugh at this but the Animated Movie universe has the tone bang on.

I also don't want it coming off like im slagging Batman, of all the movies, this is the one Im looking forward to.

Trash is a very harsh description. Sure, maybe that applied a few years ago. But since the reshuffling at exec level (under Hamada’s leadership) and greater focus on content and characters rather than studio intervention, they’ve been doing fine.

Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam etc are much better. The DC Black Label experiment with Joker also delivered. There’s some clear upside to what they’re trying to do now.

If only Kilmer didn't have throat cancer and aged a bit more gracefully. He was a great Batman

If only Kilmer didn't have throat cancer and aged a bit more gracefully. He was a great Batman
Still turning up in Top Gun’s sequel. Heard him speak and his voice is not great so wonder if they will dub him, or perhaps just write his illness into the film.

Might be able to cameo in Flash but I think most people would prefer it if George and Val were just left aside.

I’m actually slightly less excited by Affleck turning up. He was great in the role but having multiple Batmen showing up doesn’t sit right. I suppose we’ll see.

Correct. The scope of which remains to be seen and likely doesn’t require the same physical prep he’s had to do with the other films.

more as Bruce Wayne than Batman?

more as Bruce Wayne than Batman?

Yes, very likely. The physical prep took a toll on him and he relapsed many times to alcoholism (according to an earlier Affleck interview). So am not sure he wants to revisit that requirement.

My understanding is he will feature in a time travel style cameo similar to the scene of Barry in BvS where he appeared in front of Bruce in the bat cave.

They sought if did the same thing with the tech base of Ironman and the fantastical of Thor.

It’s possible to get right and the later stuff from DCU has been great.

Correlations aside Ironman isn't Batman. There wasn't a mainstream understating or expectation. Batman will always be best a fallable man, Ironman was made into a god.

Correlations aside Ironman isn't Batman. There wasn't a mainstream understating or expectation. Batman will always be best a fallable man, Ironman was made into a god.

He wasn’t made into a god like character power wise till after Iron Man 3.

It’s still being able to mix different genres and it’s possible to have Batman in the DCU and done well.

Hell even the Batfamily has a lot of characters that aren’t “dark”.

He wasn’t made into a god like character power wise till after Iron Man 3.

It’s still being able to mix different genres and it’s possible to have Batman in the DCU and done well.

Hell even the Batfamily has a lot of characters that aren’t “dark”.

It's not purely about darkness, but being grounded. Batman universe works so well due to the obvious allegories with mental illness and trauma. Mix it with aliens and it hurts the allegory and makes it just a story. It's like Game of Thrones. That show forgot about the human grounding and it became about Dragons. Much like Marvel did with time travel. The more expansive you make it, the closer you tread to nonsense. Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam worked because they were self contained, no blending of tones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not purely about darkness, but being grounded. Batman universe works so well due to the obvious allegories with mental illness and trauma. Mix it with aliens and it hurts the allegory and makes it just a story. It's like Game of Thrones. That show forgot about the human grounding and it became about Dragons. Much like Marvel did with time travel. The more expansive you make it, the closer you tread to nonsense. Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam worked because they were self contained, no blending of tones.

Except they have worked. Justice league was a mismatch of ideas but it has been shown before it can be done and the Avengers and Marvel flicks show you can get the mix right.

Except they have worked. Justice league was a mismatch of ideas but it has been shown before it can be done and the Avengers and Marvel flicks show you can get the mix right.

Avengers and Marvel showed it can work if most people don't have preconceived expectations of the characters. That is a reality that will never happen for DC. And even still it worked in a popcorn movie sense. The universe was a great execution of a long story, but not a single film came close to the greatness of the Dark Knight. It was a success with caveats.

Avengers and Marvel showed it can work if most people don't have preconceived expectations of the characters. That is a reality that will never happen for DC. And even still it worked in a popcorn movie sense. The universe was a great execution of a long story, but not a single film came close to the greatness of the Dark Knight. It was a success with caveats.

Preconceived? They have pretty much nailed each character.

The rest of your post I disagree with completely. Dark knight was great but it wasn’t as perfect as some push.

The rest of your post I disagree with completely. Dark knight was great but it wasn’t as perfect as some push.

Dark Knight definitely went about half an hour too long for mine.

They didn’t even portray Tony as an alcoholic, they babied the universe. People didn’t care because they had no preexisting relationship. Which is fine people bought it, but it's also why they'll never achieve anything truly great unlike DC films which adopt adult concepts. Joker also out performs any Marvel film by a veritable mile, and Watchmen is a better ensemble than any Avengers.

Last edited:
Dark - tick
Gritty - tick
Rain - tick
grizzly voice - tick
Interestingly the commissioner’s name is Pete Savage. Seems forgettable but it was a name used in the 60s series for a member of one of Gotham’s prominent families. Suspect it’s an Easter egg.

Reckon Gotham’s past will play a part in the film and have a lot to do with Ridler’s spree.

Looks very good.

Hope they didn’t show all the best bits :D

Agreed, the Blue Monday track from the first trailer was great. Hard to beat

To be fair that was shown in the first trailer too.

haha yes!

Guardians of the galaxy really propelled retro music into the 00s and beyond, as a key to a successful movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back