Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well damn, was really hoping the feedback would be meh much of the same, now I have to watch it.

Elsewhere I've read complaints by people that feel it's more of the same. Only thing I would say is keep an open mind as possible. Where I've read complaints seems to be that people were expecting a 100% brand new movie. Not sure I understand the logic behind that.

It may be that you might think it's more of the same though.

Making movies about comics is almost as hard as making them about video games. You have long deep stories that need to be adapted to a shorter medium, and people go in with pre conceived ideas and bias, and when it doesn't match what they expect they adjust their views accordingly. Even I'm guilty of that with Wandavision.

All I'll say is, the bones of the movie are the same, but it's a MUCH more healthy and complete version, that is tonally different to the original cut.

Elsewhere I've read complaints by people that feel it's more of the same. Only thing I would say is keep an open mind as possible. Where I've read complaints seems to be that people were expecting a 100% brand new movie. Not sure I understand the logic behind that.

It may be that you might think it's more of the same though.

Making movies about comics is almost as hard as making them about video games. You have long deep stories that need to be adapted to a shorter medium, and people go in with pre conceived ideas and bias, and when it doesn't match what they expect they adjust their views accordingly. Even I'm guilty of that with Wandavision.

All I'll say is, the bones of the movie are the same, but it's a MUCH more healthy and complete version, that is tonally different to the original cut.

Tend to lean towards thoughts of posters I've engaged in discussions with. Enough in here to indicate I'll at least like the movie.

It was great that Bruce actually spoke about that appearance of Barry from BvS. Hadn’t even been referenced since then, which is typical of Snyder films unfortunately. Tease or show something once and then it’s largely forgotten.

The epilogue stuff, I think what Snyder is trying to do is to give a few clues as to the next instalment and let his fans use their voices to call for more films. It would be nice to see that fully played out, and to really see the Anti Life done justice. He first teased it over 6 years ago, it’s been a damn long journey to even get to this point.

yeah this is what I meant to say. Apparently this was the first of 5 movies had planned to cover this arc at the of which Bruce does sacrifice himself at the end.

Also just heard that ending scene with MM was originally shot with a green lantern he cast and everything but the studio said no. Not sure how true that is

The talk about the Anti Life Equation which I though I never heard of (but after reading is spread around different parts of DC media like Smallville and Arrowverse) opened the door to a bigger threat down the line. That's the impression I got.

That being said, based on your initial view of it, seems to me they're meeting halfway by giving a satisfying conclusion but still leaving some future threads to be followed through.

Bruce's directly referencing the Knightmare sequence was great too, without getting a full direct play out of that.

This comment by Joker to me is consistent with the themes of the previous movies that there are consequences of 'saving the day'. With Zod/Superman destroying Metropolis, to using the Motherbox to revive Superman. To me if they go down this route, will mean what they've done hear has still caused the Knightmare sequence. I'm really keen to see this Dystopian DCEU... perhaps it gets addressed or wiped clean with the Flash movie.

View attachment 1080312

The talk about 'Lanterns', tease of Atom and Martian Manhunter (who while wanting to see more of, was the 'guiding father type' to the gang.....loved that bit with him pretending to be Martha) as well as the Ant Life Equation and Darkseid had me wanting to know more...much in the same way Wandavision episodes 3 to 8 did.

Re: Run Barry Run, was the same too lol. Part of me wanted to see his previous cameo here as well.

Look, I'm clouded with bias though. I've powered through Smallville with the Mrs (some episodes were really tough) and watched MoS, followed by the far improved version of BvS. So it seemed like a much more consistent third installment of the 'Snyderverse'.

I thought it showed that when DC isn't trying to be Marvel, they're capable of being a great alternative, rather than a competitive substitute.

Glad I wasnt the only one geeking out over the flash. Because of the show he has prob become my 2nd fav DC character. Barry's character was far more coherent here and I smiled when they teased his time travel powers when he first tried to light up the mother box I dont think that happened in the original he just lit it up at the point of impact. Really liked the way the did reversal of time sequence in the final battle apart from Ezra's weird limbs flailing thing hopefully Grant gave him a few pointers when they met. As for their meeting that will prob come up in the flash movie and it was prob shot in cinema ratio for that reason though I hope Grant has slightly bigger role the just re-using that. Mainly I hope they dont blue ball us like wandavision did

Can we officially say ZSJL is a success?

Surely HBO Max has to continue with Zack. I reckon they can conclude the story in one final sequel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its too early to say. Critically most people like it. Commercially gotta wait till the weekend is over in the states. Warner Media have been very cagey about their subscriber numbers for HBO max to protect the shareholders. I dont think they really revealed the full subscriber boost after WW84 because it prob wasnt good. If they get a really good bump they will most likely let the world know. Plus they have Godzilla v Kong coming up soon so its important month for them

yeah this is what I meant to say. Apparently this was the first of 5 movies had planned to cover this arc at the of which Bruce does sacrifice himself at the end.

Also just heard that ending scene with MM was originally shot with a green lantern he cast and everything but the studio said no. Not sure how true that is

for me it would’ve made much more sense to have a Lantern in that final scene. I guess this now explains why - WB are surely going to do a Stewart led Green Lantern film and didn’t want that to be in the Snyder Cut.

As much I like Martian Manhunter, when he did turn up at that final scene I thought to myself “so now he wants to help, but didn’t want to step in when Doomsday and Steppenwolf were running amok” :D

Some other random thoughts:

Really enjoyed that flashback to the original war and alliance with men, Amazons, Atlanteans and the old Gods. Got real LOTR vibes with this, like the last alliance flashback scene in Mordor where they first defeated Sauron.

Zeus and Ares ******* s**t up was sensational.

I always thought the highlight for me would’ve been the solar suit moments. As great as that was, and as great as any mention of the ALE was, for me I just can’t go past the boom tube stand off.

Darkseid. DeSaad. Granny Goodness. Apokolips.

Staring at the League through a boom tube.

It was ******* magnificent. I actually got off the couch and did my best not to wake up the kids, I was absolutely losing my s**t inside. ******* hell I’m going to rewatch that scene again and again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 minutes of Jared Letos joker was enough to show me he was f’ed over in Suicide Squad

100% agree. He was shafted with that editing. From the way Snyder spoke about this from the outset, I get the sense he wanted to give Leto a sense of redemption. And hats off to him for giving it another attempt after the panning he and that film have endured since.

a07bd7f82658b0efd11ea999a28ab9e6.jpg

5 minutes of Jared Letos joker was enough to show me he was f’ed over in Suicide Squad

I feel he still would have been hindered by Ayers direction.

I think Snyder has a better handle on the characters which we wouldn’t have seen in SS.

I think the most amazing thing is that it basically manages to do the work that WB/DC neglected to do building up the lore, background and characters (particularly Barry and Victor) by rushing out this and BvS in the first place.

Only problem is that now I want the sequel that last 10-15 minutes sets up and I know we're never going to get it.

Just finished, * i am exhausted

Not by any stretch amazing, but geeze it's a more in depth fleshed out and better flowing story.
Like the discussion about bringing back Superman just fit so much better

Pacing is so slow, they could trim plenty of fat

The Batman/Joker interaction was bloody great
Victor the star of the show IMO

Every time I saw the Amazons I thought I was watching an all female 300... Just amazing abs everywhere

I actually really liked how Victors dad had the narration role at times as well

Cyborg’s vision of the future through the mother box was brilliant. So much to unpack in that. And of course omega beams, holy s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back