Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely it would mean this. Affleck too is also currently filming additional scenes.

Was an absolute failure of the earlier Snyder movies to overlook this. The trailer tease of “ha ha, jokes on you Batman” was absolutely magnificent.

To then not even have it mentioned beyond that really was ridiculous. A very poor decision that seemingly he’s trying to atone for.

One of the stronger parts of BvS for me was how complex and broken Bruce was. So seeing the Joker’s subplot fleshed out is really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the stronger parts of BvS for me was how complex and broken Bruce was. So seeing the Joker’s subplot fleshed out is really cool.

It provides a great deal of context as to why Bruce does what he does in BvS. And why he is so callous.

Joker and Harley killing Todd, graffitiing his suit for Batman to find, Batman hunting Joker for revenge and beating the living s**t out of him (knocking his teeth out, hence the metal grill), and then Joker getting the ‘damaged’ tattoo on his forehead to mock Batman.

So much happened that barely gets a passing mention, that likely would’ve been a much better film than Suicide Squad ended up being for example.

It provides a great deal of context as to why Bruce does what he does in BvS. And why he is so callous.

Joker and Harley killing Todd, graffitiing his suit for Batman to find, Batman hunting Joker for revenge and beating the living sh*t out of him (knocking his teeth out, hence the metal grill), and then Joker getting the ‘damaged’ tattoo on his forehead to mock Batman.

So much happened that barely gets a passing mention, that likely would’ve been a much better film than Suicide Squad ended up being for example.
To me, this just confirms that they tried to do too much, too soon. These storylines could have been fleshed out on multiple films but DC wanted to catch up to Marvel quickly. Turning BvS into a four hour behemoth won’t solve the problem, imo.

To me, this just confirms that they tried to do too much, too soon. These storylines could have been fleshed out on multiple films but DC wanted to catch up to Marvel quickly. Turning BvS into a four hour behemoth won’t solve the problem, imo.

Yes that’s been well known and established for a long time now. Trying to do too much too soon.

It's Justice League getting the treatment, not BvS.

It's Justice League getting the treatment, not BvS.
Sorry, typo. Trying to cram all these quite important back stories into two films was the problem and I don’t think the Snyder cut is going to fix it.

Imagine if they’d simply stayed the course and followed Man of Steel with Wonder Woman and Aquaman, with maybe the Flash after. Obviously we don’t know if the films would have been the same without the seeming failure of BvS to motivate them, but they would have been much better placed to introduce Batman’s back story into a Man if Steel sequel without all the other superfluous stuff.

Posted this in the WW thread:

Saw it today, great to be back in cinemas. No spoilers in this post, will discuss in further depth another time when others have seen it.

Wonder Woman 1984 delivers, well worth the wait. For me the first film is comfortably better (even with that over the top end fight with Ares).

Hans Zimmer’s work is always great it seems, fantastic score particularly with an action set piece in Egypt and the usage of A Beautiful Lie towards the end.

Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig could tell really enjoyed the material they were given, both were great. I was surprised at how much screen time they’re given, Pedro especially. He’s on fire of late, nice to see him recently in The Mandalorian and then straight into this.

The only negatives for me were the running time, I felt it was perhaps unnecessarily long. And surprisingly again, how little (comparatively speaking) we see of Diana. Overall though, highly recommended. 7.5/10 for me.

Weird part is how, despite their obvious desire to race to the big team up film, they ultimately got there with one less film and in the same number of years as from Iron Man to Avengers.

The problem was having no plan. Suicide Squad did nothing really to set up Justice League, WW should have been left out of BVS altogether and they may as well have done Aquaman before JL given they ended up doing it anyway.

Could have been much smoother if they’d gone MOS, WW, Aquaman, Flash (perhaps introducing Cyborg) then BVS (with a much simpler plot) before Justice League, and ditched SS.

Posted this in the WW thread:

Saw it today, great to be back in cinemas. No spoilers in this post, will discuss in further depth another time when others have seen it.

Wonder Woman 1984 delivers, well worth the wait. For me the first film is comfortably better (even with that over the top end fight with Ares).

Hans Zimmer’s work is always great it seems, fantastic score particularly with an action set piece in Egypt and the usage of A Beautiful Lie towards the end.

Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig could tell really enjoyed the material they were given, both were great. I was surprised at how much screen time they’re given, Pedro especially. He’s on fire of late, nice to see him recently in The Mandalorian and then straight into this.

The only negatives for me were the running time, I felt it was perhaps unnecessarily long. And surprisingly again, how little (comparatively speaking) we see of Diana. Overall though, highly recommended. 7.5/10 for me.

Totally agree with the above. Had a lot of heart this movie and was really well written. Excited what Patty Jenkins will do with Rogue Squadron.

Pascal and Wiig both really showed their chops. Even Pine was solid too I thought.

Both my wife and woman sitting in front of us completely lost their s**t in our session during the credit sequence. Was a nice touch the sequence itself and their reaction haha.

Weird part is how, despite their obvious desire to race to the big team up film, they ultimately got there with one less film and in the same number of years as from Iron Man to Avengers.

The problem was having no plan. Suicide Squad did nothing really to set up Justice League, WW should have been left out of BVS altogether and they may as well have done Aquaman before JL given they ended up doing it anyway.

Could have been much smoother if they’d gone MOS, WW, Aquaman, Flash (perhaps introducing Cyborg) then BVS (with a much simpler plot) before Justice League, and ditched SS.

Don't want to go on an anti Star Wars rant, but the sequels are guilty of this also. Rian and Abrams cop a lot of heat, but that also showed collectively what happens when you do everything on the fly.

I don't think Snyder cut is about fixing the DCEU or the film itself, it's simply releasing a version of the movie that is vastly different from the original vision of the film. I don't see the issue personally.

Totally agree with the above. Had a lot of heart this movie and was really well written. Excited what Patty Jenkins will do with Rogue Squadron.

Pascal and Wiig both really showed their chops. Even Pine was solid too I thought.

Both my wife and woman sitting in front of us completely lost their sh*t in our session during the credit sequence. Was a nice touch the sequence itself and their reaction haha.

Pine too was very good, pretty strong performances from all of the leads. Refreshing to see them know their characters so well.

That’s gold :D

Yes the credits scene was a nice touch. Followed straight away with acknowledging Linda Carter in the credits. Amazingly, most of the people in my cinema had already walked out by then.

Possibly because it’s been so long at the movies that people have forgotten mid/post credits scenes are a thing. To be fair as well DC haven’t always done them, but still it’s worth hanging around for a few more minutes just to see....

Don't want to go on an anti Star Wars rant, but the sequels are guilty of this also. Rian and Abrams cop a lot of heat, but that also showed collectively what happens when you do everything on the fly.

I don't think Snyder cut is about fixing the DCEU or the film itself, it's simply releasing a version of the movie that is vastly different from the original vision of the film. I don't see the issue personally.
The bizarre part about Star Wars is that it’s under the same roof as Marvel, yet they ignored their own blueprint.

Everyone wanted to like the new trilogy, but it was just all over the place.

DCEU got off on the wrong foot. Good that they’ve made a few ok films since but they stuffed it and it’s a multi billion dollar issue for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bizarre part about Star Wars is that it’s under the same roof as Marvel, yet they ignored their own blueprint.

DCEU got off on the wrong foot. Good that they’ve made a few ok films since but they stuffed it and it’s a multi billion dollar issue for them.

If anything, I believe this reflects even better on how well Marvel/Feige executed their business plan. Many other studios tried to replicate some form of shared universe, none of them really reached the lofty heights of Marvel.

Even Lucasfilm as has been mentioned, couldn’t get together a coherent sequel trilogy. It happens. DC tried, and didn’t have the leadership in place to execute.

I’m glad they’re playing to their strengths and focusing on character derived stories which have been significantly better. The last few years have been delivering, the universe is back on track.

Even the “Black Label” Joker is worth acknowledging, that was a risk to undertake however it paid off. I’m liking the future slate which continues a simple premise, acquire good filmmakers with quality characters and casting and let them do their thing.

If anything, I believe this reflects even better on how well Marvel/Feige executed their business plan. Many other studios tried to replicate some form of shared universe, none of them really reached the lofty heights of Marvel.

Even Lucasfilm as has been mentioned, couldn’t get together a coherent sequel trilogy. It happens. DC tried, and didn’t have the leadership in place to execute.

I’m glad they’re playing to their strengths and focusing on character derived stories which have been significantly better. The last few years have been delivering, the universe is back on track.

Even the “Black Label” Joker is worth acknowledging, that was a risk to undertake however it paid off. I’m liking the future slate which continues a simple premise, acquire good filmmakers with quality characters and casting and let them do their thing.
Yeah I have a chuckle about the infamous Dark Universe cast shot once in a while. Very hard to execute and many have tried.

The DCEU was particularly egregious though - they had a blueprint from their nearest rival and blew it spectacularly. They’ve redeemed it somewhat, but grossing <$700m in JL is criminal. Think part of the problem is they had little faith in anyone other than Batman and Superman in solo flicks and thought they needed to introduce them first.

The irony is that WW and Aquaman were massive hits.

First impressions are that i enjoyed but you just gotta switch your brain off as the plot and explanations of how and why things are very very basic and not something I expected going in. I guess that wasnt the point of the film or something Jenkins cared overly about but it does feel a bit lazy.

Also it just occured to me the ending is very similiar to the season 1 finale of Supergirl which coincidentally also featured Maxwell Lord.

Gadot still isnt a great actress but she improved since the last movie and did ok in some of the more emotional scenes.

Wiig did well but as one reviewer pointed out Cheetah really had no purpose in the film ultimately. Especially with the expectation of her being the main villian for some.

Not a lot of depth but I didnt think it was a bad film. Though i think harsher critics will prob not like it much.

In defence of Star Wars, I don’t think initially they wanted to follow the blueprint of Marvel. They wanted to follow the blueprint of the original trilogy, with different writers and different directors bringing their own ideas and energy. They probably saw the blueprint of the prequels and wanted to avoid one person having so much sway in case they got it just as wrong. What they missed was having an overarching vision, even if it was regularly tweaked, which the original films were. Most of the big dramatic reveals were developed across the trilogy.

I also don’t want to see it follow the Marvel blueprint. Marvel films are about superheroes all on Earth; it kinda makes sense they’d run into each other. Star Wars is a giant galaxy. There template should be stories from all corners. The more they try to link it, the smaller the universe feels.

I also don’t think we need several versions of the same thing. We already have Marvel. So maybe in the long run, DC’s failure will make films more interesting. There wouldn’t have been room for Joker in a shared universe.

c998eef8758517c2b623d96564d1542a.jpg

Looks terrifying!

He mentioned a while ago the look will be altered from the Suicide Squad version. That’s a good thing I feel.

I hope so because the SS version is complete aids.

I hope so because the SS version is complete aids.

Yes it certainly seems a considered move to disassociate this version from the SS depiction. Which I can only think is a good thing given the reception and the connotations people have with that movie in general.

Overall though, Leto is supposedly just in one scene for this. Which I sure as hell hope is a flashback etc to do with the murder of Todd - something Snyder/DC has been teasing since mid 2015 in the comic con BvS trailer, but never heard or mentioned again since.

I guess we’ll find out next month.

Surely we will be getting more than a flashback.

This Cut will include heavily more of Knightmare scenes.

We might get something like Deathstroke and Joker aiding Batman.

Surely we will be getting more than a flashback.

This Cut will include heavily more of Knightmare scenes.

We might get something like Deathstroke and Joker aiding Batman.

Just judging by Snyder’s comment:

"I'm not going to tell you what happens in the little scene, but some water has gone under the proverbial bridge between when last we saw Joker and this appearance. He's a road-weary Joker, I guess that's a way of saying it," Snyder recently told Beyond the Trailer.

possibly just a big misdirect though, it’s not like Hollywood has ever lied before.

I wonder if Ayer will ever get his cut of Suicide Squad released. That is supposed to feature a lot more of the joker and leto's better work.

Might depend on the success of Zack's release. On the other hand Ayer's cut is fully complete, it just needs to be re-edited. Unlike Zack's which required a further $80 million (I believe). With the audience demand from loyal fans it'd be a good incentive for them to release the film to their new HBO Max service.

Just judging by Snyder’s comment:

"I'm not going to tell you what happens in the little scene, but some water has gone under the proverbial bridge between when last we saw Joker and this appearance. He's a road-weary Joker, I guess that's a way of saying it," Snyder recently told Beyond the Trailer.

possibly just a big misdirect though, it’s not like Hollywood has ever lied before.

Oh interesting

11 more days and we get a new trailer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back