De Goey and Howe to face match bans for in Game Phone use?

Remove this Banner Ad

a rule got broken it doesnt matter which rule if they get away with it then people will break other rules so we need to make an example

i call for an immediate royal commission which will undoubtedly find them guilty and should be sentenced to a lifetime of hard labour in the cheese mines on the moon

A MAN TOUCHED ON PHONE ON TELEVISION WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

A 5k fine would seem appropriate. Do you think a Royal Commission is likely, given that another royal commission has already recently been announced on seperate issues? I can't see this actualising for you, nor do I think a RC is the appropriate response for such a minor issue.

They're screwed if true. All sorts of avenues for abuse/match fixing which is why it's banned in every professional sport, everywhere.

I can understand wanting to inform your family and friends that you're ok. But surely there is someone at the club paid to do comms who could have done it.

https-prod-static9-net-au-fs-4d0bc62b-13e9-46da-a43f-f3727b197224-jpeg.1106035

Either someone opened the box for them or it wasn't locked in the first place.
Pretty irresponsible of club to leave players property unsecured

With some of the comments around this, you'd think they were the first footy players in history to get injured and need to tell friends and family about it.
family and friends are allowed in the rooms usually, coz of covid now that is likely not the case.

I bet this has happened many times without the cameras on.
AFL should focus less time on the minor issue and focus on far more important things.

If the act of using the phone was banned they will be in trouble, which it is.

That the difference in use of the phone can range from 'calling mum to let her know you're ok' which gets you a fine and 'calling your overseas bookie to let him know the change in team plans now two key players are out of the game' which gets you a life ban - would be messy.

They like their rules easy to enforce, so having degrees between zero and career over is complicated and time consuming, I expect they will side with their gambling partners and protect the integrity of the game by taking a firm stand and giving them a suspended fine with a match suspension equal to the number of games they are expected to miss through injury.
except when it comes to umpiring

face rearranged + concussion and he's being judged for grabbing a phone. heartless bastards. but i'd rather talk about souvenir tea towels. what is the deal with souvenir tea towels. i'm not gonna hang it on the wall so i'm reminded that my friends went to europe without me, and they're too flimsy to use. they just move the water from one spot to another. i've had it with these things. i'm throwing them all in the bin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

family and friends are allowed in the rooms usually, coz of covid now that is likely not the case.

I bet this has happened many times without the cameras on.
AFL should focus less time on the minor issue and focus on far more important things.

Ironic that you say "I bet"

The old 'everyone else is doing it but we just got caught" line

I've got no doubt in my mind they were probably using their phones to contact family/friends, although I do think they should be punished because it opens the door for players to get information on the game they wouldn't have had otherwise - and if any of said players using their phones has a gambling problem there's another can of worms.

yep

unfortunately no other outcome would be fair on the league as a whole

before the match starts, was the ENTIRE CFC concussed ?
No ? then what part of lock the case up is hard to understand ?

During the match, the person with the keys, was he/she concussed ?
No ? then what part of don't open the case till end of match is hard to understand ?

(don't worry, phones are still in there...they're not like Schrodinger's cats)

Last edited:
Not a biggie, suspended fines will suffice I'm sure.

But Bucks passing the buck on 360 was funny. DeGoey was concussed. Not fit to play football, so go easy on him for this judgement error.

He did grab Howe's phone & hand it to him. Howe wasn't concussed. Hey mate, put these back, we're not supposed to have them during a game....

Club should be fined - at least $50-100k - they are the ones who are responsible for controlling phone access which they clearly didn’t do.

I said at the time they'd get in trouble for it. I'm surprised the commentators didn't say anything though
You can't expect the commentators to actually know the rules. Imagine that!

You also can't expect the commentators to say anything negative whilst they are broadcasting shirtless injured players in a change room. That could potentially impact their stupid level of access. Cameras in the changerooms are such a terrible initiative.

You can't expect the commentators to actually know the rules. Imagine that!

You also can't expect the commentators to say anything negative whilst they are broadcasting shirtless injured players in a change room. That could potentially impact their stupid level of access. Cameras in the changerooms are such a terrible initiative.

Good point.

Good to see Nafan come out and say that DeGoey had a bit of a brain fade due to concussion, smugly smirking all the while 😇

The number of people on the media who have said it’s fine and there’s no issue is astounding. There needs to be a fine at least for the club and a suspended fine for players. No need to go into reasons why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back