Opinion De Goey: Forward or Midfield?

In which position should De Goey predominantly be played?

• Total voters

Quicky

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
De Goey is a beast whether playing forward or midfield. But in which position does he benefit the team the most? Should De Goey play predominately forward or midfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think he is best value when not closely tagged - he has shot to almost AA level in a very short span of time and is getting much more attention from opposition coaches now.

His best value is as a forward but not if he is being closely tagged so by all means free him up by running him on the ball.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think forward, but rotates through the midfield in the normal rotations. We saw how much Elliott steps up when De Goey not there, so we won't lose too much for periods of time. We have been getting smashed around the stoppages in the first month, so need to win there first.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think last night was the perfect use of him. We needed some grunt in the middle later in the game and he helped us get over the line.

joff

Premium Platinum
Jan 3, 2011
oz
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love him forward but put him in the guts till we sort our mid probs

foreigner

Premium Platinum
Apr 29, 2004
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I think midfield with bursts in the forward line. It allows our other forwards like Cox, Elliott, Stevo. JT and Mihocek to be effective and unpredictable, which proved to work last year and in the last quarter yesterday. When he is at FF all the time we are too predictable.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

jimmy35

Z Man
Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
He is a midfielder but atm he’s too valuable up forward. Could’ve had 4 in the first half except for some wayward kicking and that was a quiet night. Unstoppable bull in the middle though so that’s where he’ll end up in the longer term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
The problem is he has been playing as a strong marking, key position full forward. As good as Billy and co. are, we don't have another one of those... Need a Lynch type player...

caloschwaby

The One and Only
Jan 3, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Renegades, Packers
He can do everything he does now and more if he plays middle

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think he is best value when not closely tagged - he has shot to almost AA level in a very short span of time and is getting much more attention from opposition coaches now.

His best value is as a forward but not if he is being closely tagged so by all means free him up by running him on the ball.
agreed forward. he had 8 shots on goal last night. he is marginally more natural forward then mid. and I don't think he ever will have the elite tank to be a full time mid anyway his more of a burst player. I think the coaching group did a great job in identifying that last night thought that he needed to be swung in the middle to change the game. kudos

Antz

Premium Gold
Mar 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Midfield for mine. Needs to get more midfield time and let Elliot, Stephenson and the other forward group do their job up forward.

swoop42

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
de Goey is valuable in either role so the boring answer is that it all comes down to the state of play, finding a balance and the timing of any move.

Against Richmond we dominated possession and yet without de Goey's dynamic performance up forward I'd argue we would have been behind at the start of the last quarter. He was the difference maker.

Last night the game was on a knife edge, our slow ball movement was starving our forwards of opportunity and our midfield despite the dominance of Grundy needed a spark. Enter de Goey.

I'd start him forward but the reality is we have no need to pigeon hole de Goey as one thing or another so let every game unfold and decide then how best to utilise his talents.

PIrOed

Senior List
Oct 7, 2016
Area Unknown
AFL Club
Collingwood
The thing that struck me last night when DeGoey went into the middle was that all of sudden when Grundy won a tap it started landing in the lap of a midfielder who was on the move and ready to clear the ball. That player was almost always DeGoey. Last year all of Adams, Treloar, Sier and Sidebottom could have been that player. This year Sier hasn't played, Sidebottom is playing off the wing, Adams has only just returned and still finding his feet and Treloar is below his best.

After the grand final the club identified that if they couldn't land a key forward then they needed to strengthen the midfield so that DeGoey could stay forward, hence why they payed such a high price for Beams. If those players can all get up to speed then DeGoey can play forward with runs in the middle. Otherwise it'll have to be the other way around as he is currently the only player from that group firing on all cylinders.

Top Bottom