Opinion De Goey: Forward or Midfield?

In which position should De Goey predominantly be played?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he is best value when not closely tagged - he has shot to almost AA level in a very short span of time and is getting much more attention from opposition coaches now.

His best value is as a forward but not if he is being closely tagged so by all means free him up by running him on the ball.

I think forward, but rotates through the midfield in the normal rotations. We saw how much Elliott steps up when De Goey not there, so we won't lose too much for periods of time. We have been getting smashed around the stoppages in the first month, so need to win there first.

Forward with spells in the middle.

We have a plethora of excellent mids, we just need to sort out the mess we saw last night so that throwing JDG in to the midfield is a luxury rather than a necessity.

I think midfield with bursts in the forward line. It allows our other forwards like Cox, Elliott, Stevo. JT and Mihocek to be effective and unpredictable, which proved to work last year and in the last quarter yesterday. When he is at FF all the time we are too predictable.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is a midfielder but atm he’s too valuable up forward. Could’ve had 4 in the first half except for some wayward kicking and that was a quiet night. Unstoppable bull in the middle though so that’s where he’ll end up in the longer term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he is best value when not closely tagged - he has shot to almost AA level in a very short span of time and is getting much more attention from opposition coaches now.

His best value is as a forward but not if he is being closely tagged so by all means free him up by running him on the ball.
agreed forward. he had 8 shots on goal last night. he is marginally more natural forward then mid. and I don't think he ever will have the elite tank to be a full time mid anyway his more of a burst player. I think the coaching group did a great job in identifying that last night thought that he needed to be swung in the middle to change the game. kudos

de Goey is valuable in either role so the boring answer is that it all comes down to the state of play, finding a balance and the timing of any move.

Against Richmond we dominated possession and yet without de Goey's dynamic performance up forward I'd argue we would have been behind at the start of the last quarter. He was the difference maker.

Last night the game was on a knife edge, our slow ball movement was starving our forwards of opportunity and our midfield despite the dominance of Grundy needed a spark. Enter de Goey.

I'd start him forward but the reality is we have no need to pigeon hole de Goey as one thing or another so let every game unfold and decide then how best to utilise his talents.

The thing that struck me last night when DeGoey went into the middle was that all of sudden when Grundy won a tap it started landing in the lap of a midfielder who was on the move and ready to clear the ball. That player was almost always DeGoey. Last year all of Adams, Treloar, Sier and Sidebottom could have been that player. This year Sier hasn't played, Sidebottom is playing off the wing, Adams has only just returned and still finding his feet and Treloar is below his best.

After the grand final the club identified that if they couldn't land a key forward then they needed to strengthen the midfield so that DeGoey could stay forward, hence why they payed such a high price for Beams. If those players can all get up to speed then DeGoey can play forward with runs in the middle. Otherwise it'll have to be the other way around as he is currently the only player from that group firing on all cylinders.

Back