Opinion De Goey: Forward or Midfield?

In which position should De Goey predominantly be played?

• Total voters

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Midfield and rest up forward. Imagine him even dragging his midfield player forward. Will dominate

Im still dubious on our midfield being rated so highly. Still feel like it isn't working, time after time we see Grundy first down to the ball, whether that's bad tap work or our mids not positioning right, im not sure. But it needs to be fixed. When De goey went to the midfield last night it looked like it was fixed and we looked so much better and actually got some handball chains going.

Hence why Sier needs to get back in the seniors asap. Of Beams, Sidey, Treloar and Pendles. None are really barge in type mids with their size. nly genuine in and under player is Adams

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Forward.

Mids we have, De Goey forward different level.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he has to start in the midfield. Can then go forward in short bursts during the game - isolated one out.

As good as he is as a permanent forward, we dont lose that much with Stevo back in the goal square.

We have to start taking advantage of Grundy's ruck dominance - De Goey is the answer.

Both, depends on the situation, wether we need in the centre to wrestle back the clearances, but l would start him forward with stints in the midfield.
Last night he should have kicked five goals if he kicked drop punts instead of snaps from dead in front
Would not have then needed him in the middle if he had

Both. Start in the centre for the bounce with Pendles or Beams up at high half forward. Then Degoey heads forward and Pendles or Beams moves into the midfield. Get his clearance work and his forward work with the added advantage of him temporarily losing his defender when he is in the transition between roles.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stevo wouldn't work as stand alone forward in goal square without de Goey there because he is not a real lead and mark player, de Goey is needed forward to take that long and give us a deep, reliable target. Only if the ball is not going down there should he go midfield or late in a tight game.

Stevo wouldn't work as stand alone forward in goal square without de Goey there because he is not a real lead and mark player, de Goey is needed forward to take that long and give us a deep, reliable target. Only if the ball is not going down there should he go midfield or late in a tight game.

I reckon this will change pretty quickly.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon this will change pretty quickly.

You think he can mark overhead and outbody his opponent? I don't think he's quite ready for that and I think the selection committee in between a rock and a hard place with Elliott back, both are equally effective as forwards but Stevo got pushed up not because he is less of a forward but because he has better potential higher up the ground that Elliott. A back handed compliment kicking him out.

You think he can mark overhead and outbody his opponent? I don't think he's quite ready for that and I think the selection committee in between a rock and a hard place with Elliott back, both are equally effective as forwards but Stevo got pushed up not because he is less of a forward but because he has better potential higher up the ground that Elliott. A back handed compliment kicking him out.
Looks alright overhead to me. Not yet strong enough to do it in a contest, but just needs a bit more experience to read the play and confidence and with his pace and agility, he should be able to hit up at the footy on a lead pretty effectively. His final year of juniors was a wingman, but before then, in his junior footy he played as a marking target.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks alright overhead to me. Not yet strong enough to do it in a contest, but just needs a bit more experience to read the play and confidence and with his pace and agility, he should be able to hit up at the footy on a lead pretty effectively. His final year of juniors was a wingman, but before then, in his junior footy he played as a marking target.

Just needs another pre season or two if he wants to be a proper key target I think he would get pushed away too easily at the moment, he can take an overhead grab though but seasoned defenders would exploit his skinny frame at the minute.

Just needs another pre season or two if he wants to be a proper key target I think he would get pushed away too easily at the moment, he can take an overhead grab though but seasoned defenders would exploit his skinny frame at the minute.
I'm just talking uncontested ones where he's created seperation on the lead, which is how JDG takes the vast majority of his marks.

Does not have the tank at the moment to sustain playing in the middle full time.

Forward, then into the middle when required. A plan B, for when our midfield are stinking it up.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only way I can really see Stephenson getting his forward spot back is Thomas getting dropped. Elliott might be the one that pinched Stevo's spot but Elliott is not getting dropped. I don't think Stephenson's frame will allow him to assume De Goey's spot as he might get away with it leading but is still too raw for the body work which De Goey does a lot of, outstrengthening his direct opponent. Until someone can replace De Goey as the main deep focal point who is reliable and can kick 3-4 game De Goey has to remain forward and only be used in desperate scenarios in the middle like he is currently.

JM#1

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless he's going to go close to winning the Coleman, then I say midfield. Especially if it then frees up Elliott to kick his 2-4 goals a game which is effectively what De Goey would do if he was there anyway.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think last night was the perfect use of him. We needed some grunt in the middle later in the game and he helped us get over the line.

Agree . He was the difference in the clearances at the end of the game. I think having him spend time away from the square also freed up Elliott to play with more freedom and room.

Long term, DeGoey is a forward who spends a good amount of time in the middle. He was well coached on Friday and seemed to have more midfield minutes than usual

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Forward with short bursts in the midfield. He is the type of player that’s good anywhere you play him, but to me he is as natural as a forward as anyone you will see. This is where I rekon he is most comfortable and he has those instincts around the goals you can’t teach. put him in the middle and I feel he may struggle with a tag, but put him deep forward and he is an absolute nightmare for oppo coaches.

frantelle

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both. Start in the centre for the bounce with Pendles or Beams up at high half forward. Then Degoey heads forward and Pendles or Beams moves into the midfield. Get his clearance work and his forward work with the added advantage of him temporarily losing his defender when he is in the transition between roles.
I like this idea, especially given the level of planning that the opposition will do in respect to match-ups (focusing on JDG).

The first few weeks will confuse teams until they figure out a pattern and start planning around it.

It's also a good way to maximise the impact of JDG in the middle without taxing him too much. He is obviously our break glass in case of emergency midfielder, so we don't want him running on empty late in the game.

On the downside, it might be a little cute to do something like this.

True, Stephenson has the Potential of being a Good Wingman/Mid but need to get more Experience and Get Stronger to make it work better

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
If we could get our s**t together in midfield, I would definitely say forward. I can't see that happening until Sier is back playing well though. We do have plenty of forward options to play a forward role well but they just aren't as good. I'm inclined to think forward with stints on ball.

Back