Opinion De Goey: Forward or Midfield?

In which position should De Goey predominantly be played?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If our midfield was firing it wouldnt be much of a discussion. But when you're getting cleaned up in the centre clearances it allows the opposition to play the game ontheir terms. In that context its an interesting discussion. I just wish the coaches would get our midfield sorted so we didnt need to contemplate it.
Surely Sier could be part of the answer here.

You have to wonder, if he were a permanent mid, how long it would take opposition coaches to work out strategies to stifle his influence. As it is they don't get much of an opportunity to figure it out. Is that helping De Goey influence centre clearances?

JDG being used sparingly in the centre is a real weapon. The opposition coaches will be developing strategies to curb him, but Bucks has the upper hand. He controls the move.

The last two games have been fascinating in this regard.

Midfielders & the Midfield are vital, in fact only one thing is more important: Chikos, Snags, Sausage rolls, Goals. Get 4 of these each quarter, you win most games, finish top 4. DeGoey is GOOD at getting these, and good at setting them up. But so are Stevo, Checkers, & Billy. It was a beautiful thing to watch JDG burst from the centre & smack the ball onto Stevo's chest. I haven't seen that done so beautifully since Wayne Richo slapped them onto the chest of my boyhood idol, P. McKenna. DeGoeys strength, Stevo's speed over 20m... Glorious!
This is the way to start.
But Jordy is also great at getting a ball out of a pack, spinning away & kicking long, & running full pelt past Grundy at the right millisecond to take the pill.
The answer is clear. Horses for courses. If the mids aren't killing it, chuck Jordy, & sometimes Stevo too into the fray & let Pendles & Steelo rest a bit. We have more stars than anyone, by a MILE. most can be played anywhere. DON'T let someone get beaten for an hour, mix it up. This is our edge! One of them at least! And yes, we have more than 22 top players. Look at the talent in the Magoos each week.
Forget awards, numbers, game tallys, averages, etc. Learn from what we were forced to do last year because of injuries. Mids aren't the same, neither are forwards, backs, & as Brodes is showing the world, Rucks. Play the guys best suited to the oppo, conditions, etc. Rest guys who are tired/sore. Soon we'll have WHE, Sier, Maybe Wells, & then Daics, Izzy, Wills, Crocs, Tyler, Will Kelly, etc. all capable of being champions. When they show their stuff in the twos, they MUST be rewarded. And NOT with a bullshit trip on the plane as emergency so they end up not playing at all!
Anyway, back to the point. There is NO set position for an outright champ like De Goey. Use him as required, as needed, with the emphasis on where he WANTS to play. Happy players win games.

You have to wonder, if he were a permanent mid, how long it would take opposition coaches to work out strategies to stifle his influence. As it is they don't get much of an opportunity to figure it out. Is that helping De Goey influence centre clearances?
It's a good question, additionally he's probably more explosive when he goes into the midfield because he deals in short bursts up forward rather than the constant grind of the midfield.

If our midfield was firing it wouldnt be much of a discussion. But when you're getting cleaned up in the centre clearances it allows the opposition to play the game ontheir terms. In that context its an interesting discussion. I just wish the coaches would get our midfield sorted so we didnt need to contemplate it.
I honestly think our midfield issues have just been a game plan issue. We win the midfield battle when we get the midfield swarm to the ball. This results in us running in waves and cutting teams apart. In the early games, we were obsessed with avoiding the zone, so our players separated too much trying to be used as hit up targets. Not enough numbers to the ball and thus no run and carry. Quarter 4 against the Dogs, the swarm got back together and we're looking good.

My pregame mantra all year is going to be: Get the swarm to the ball and we win.

Midfielders & the Midfield are vital, in fact only one thing is more important: Chikos, Snags, Sausage rolls, Goals. Get 4 of these each quarter, you win most games, finish top 4. DeGoey is GOOD at getting these, and good at setting them up. But so are Stevo, Checkers, & Billy. It was a beautiful thing to watch JDG burst from the centre & smack the ball onto Stevo's chest. I haven't seen that done so beautifully since Wayne Richo slapped them onto the chest of my boyhood idol, P. McKenna. DeGoeys strength, Stevo's speed over 20m... Glorious!
This is the way to start.
But Jordy is also great at getting a ball out of a pack, spinning away & kicking long, & running full pelt past Grundy at the right millisecond to take the pill.
The answer is clear. Horses for courses. If the mids aren't killing it, chuck Jordy, & sometimes Stevo too into the fray & let Pendles & Steelo rest a bit. We have more stars than anyone, by a MILE. most can be played anywhere. DON'T let someone get beaten for an hour, mix it up. This is our edge! One of them at least! And yes, we have more than 22 top players. Look at the talent in the Magoos each week.
Forget awards, numbers, game tallys, averages, etc. Learn from what we were forced to do last year because of injuries. Mids aren't the same, neither are forwards, backs, & as Brodes is showing the world, Rucks. Play the guys best suited to the oppo, conditions, etc. Rest guys who are tired/sore. Soon we'll have WHE, Sier, Maybe Wells, & then Daics, Izzy, Wills, Crocs, Tyler, Will Kelly, etc. all capable of being champions. When they show their stuff in the twos, they MUST be rewarded. And NOT with a bullshit trip on the plane as emergency so they end up not playing at all!
Anyway, back to the point. There is NO set position for an outright champ like De Goey. Use him as required, as needed, with the emphasis on where he WANTS to play. Happy players win games.

Did you not watch the pies during Buckleys era?

Both.......

He is a great extractor at center stoppages and seems to have the best connection with Brodie of all our mids. However, he is also invaluable as our most dangerous forward and there is no reason at all why he can't do spells in both spots during a game.

Last edited:
Whatever is the best result in goals scored.

Does his play forward cause more goals

Or

Does his play on the ball cause more goals.

That is the question.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very happy with how he's been used the last two games. His greatest strength is his burst pace and, well, his strength. Deploying him into the centre square for short periods, especially in the second half when other mids are tiring, is the best way to maximise his impact. I just wish we'd made that move against West Coast. Could have made a difference.

I think he's largely forward now for necessity. We need his marking power down there and he's also not at peak fitness. As he gets fitter and WHE returns I think he'll play more and more midfield, but will likely remain predominantly a forward. Against very strong inside teams though, the mix may tend towards the middle as it did against Melbourne last year.

Apart from inaccurate goal kicking he'd be close to leading the Coleman right now. We have other good forwards but none as good as JDG. Keeping a fluid mix of forwards and mids is our major weapon. It was great to see that Elliott got some midfield time last game, we could use his clean hands, pace and quality ball use there. We should continue this high rotation of mids and forwards throughout the year, making us very difficult to plan against.

If we could teach Sier to play as a forward it would be perfect to rotate he and De Goey forward and middle, unfortunately Sier is very much a one position player at the moment. With this in mind a Beams/JDG swap is more likely, especially with Dayne's ability to kick goals from outside 50 as he did against the Lions. Sier's lack of fitness (hopefully this is improving) and flexibility make him difficult to play and even more so now that we have Beams. Even last year, despite often excellent play, his limited game time and late match fade outs were very costly - GF included.

Mostly up forward with stints in the midfield. By midfield only at centre bounces, wouldn't want to waste his stamina accumulating the ball at half back.

Pies should actually try to clone him.
There was an led Superman episode where I think he became two supermans, the problem though was he was half rat power in both bodies.

Maybe we’d get two half de goeys running around at half rat power.

Run him in the midfield all year then unleash the beast it creates in the finals.

1555900445160.png

Am I not doing that right now?

Or do you have a scoop?
Whichever, the answer is yes. I haven't missed a game since the 70's. I schedule O/S trips around the season.

Well he's not playing now so not sure how you could be.

You claimed you haven't seen a player put it lace out on a forwards chest since the 70s players you listed.
So I took it you never watched the best field kick to ever play the game play then. Nathan Buckley did it regularly.

Well he's not playing now so not sure how you could be.

You claimed you haven't seen a player put it lace out on a forwards chest since the 70s players you listed.
So I took it you never watched the best field kick to ever play the game play then. Nathan Buckley did it regularly.
Best kick of the footy I ever saw.

Both.......

He is a great extractor at center stoppages and seems to have the best connection with Brodie of all our mids. However, he is also invaluable as our most dangerous forward and there is no reason at all why he can't do spells in both spots during a game.

As Long as he Kicks Straight

He is so good at centre bounces, what if he is at the majority of centre bounces then another mid like Beams, Adams, etc sit at CHF and swap with De Goey after the bounce.

We’d win the majority of those clearances so the ball is going into our forward line so a swap would be easy.

Back