De Villiers test future uncertain

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good post, and it's a relevant post that you make - I guess I just don't think that we should be taking our lead on racial sensitivity from CSA or from South Africa's government (cos as those who know a bit about South Africa know, Zuma has been a massive step backwards from the South Africa that Mandela wanted to build.)

You would simply call them non-white players. That's how the black South Africans that I met over there would've preferred to be collectivised.

Isn't the chairman of CSA - who released the statement I mentioned earlier - a 'non white' man?

As such, if he's referring to them as coloured players I tend to think the term is reasonably acceptable.

Isn't the chairman of CSA - who released the statement I mentioned earlier - a 'non white' man?

As such, if he's referring to them as coloured players I tend to think the term is reasonably acceptable.

Maybe you're right. I won't pretend that my "Australian ear" is worth more than people in South Africa with a lived experience of their ethnicity. It just doesn't sound right to me - but no doubt that's due to my Australian/western upbringing.

This is a good post, and it's a relevant post that you make - I guess I just don't think that we should be taking our lead on racial sensitivity from CSA or from South Africa's government (cos as those who know a bit about South Africa know, Zuma has been a massive step backwards from the South Africa that Mandela wanted to build.)

You would simply call them non-white players. That's how the black South Africans that I met over there would've preferred to be collectivised.

I'm wouldn't call it racial sensitivity. It's just that players like Duminy and Philander would not consider themselves black.

So imo lumping everyone who isn't white into "coloured" is pretty s**t but calling Duminy and Philander "Coloured" is not.*

*Then again it doesn't appear that South Africans are all that bothered. It just seems really awkward to us I guess.

As The_Reaper mentioned, in South Africa, "Coloured" is not used in the same way as it may have been in the past in the US or UK (eg. shorthand/slang/derogatory term for "black people"). It is actually the official term for a particular group of mixed-race people:
Coloureds (Afrikaans: Kleurlinge) are a multiracial ethnic group originating in colonial South Africa, who possess ancestry from European, African (Khoisan and Bantu) and Asian (Austronesian and South Asian) ethnic groups. Different families and individuals have a variety of different physical features There were extensive relationships and unions among these diverse peoples in the Western Cape — in which a distinctive Cape Coloured and affiliated Cape Malay culture developed. In other parts of Southern Africa, people classified as Coloured were usually the descendants of individuals from two distinct ethnicities.

The Coloured community is predominantly descended from numerous interracial sexual unions between Western European men and Khoisan women in the Cape Colony from the 17th century onwards.

Coloureds make up roughly the same percentage of the population in South Africa as White people (8.8% to 8.4%). Black Africans make up 80.2% of the population, while Asians make up 2.5%. Given that make-up, it's understandable why you would expect greater representation in a national representative team from the non-white people, considering they are the vast majority of the population. The quota actually specifies "non-white", too - Black African (eg. Kagiso Rabada, Temba Bavuma), Coloured (eg. Vernon Philander, J.P. Duminy) and Asian (eg. Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien) - not "Coloured".

Last edited:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/1106290.html

Seems to be almost an inevitability now. Also seems to confirm what we've all suspected - that he's been angling to give up Tests for a while now.

A real shame.

Yeah it's pretty sad as he is undisputably amongst the elite batsmen of his generation and still has plenty to offer the game.

Disappointing that he has decided he needs to prioritise, but would hope to see him lift the World Cup in 2019 as a way to cap his career.

SA now are almost paying for the sins of past teams.

You'd have to assume if they'd won a World Cup before he wouldn't be making this decision.

For a team who's mental strength in test cricket has been absolutely remarkable basically from the moment they chased 400 in Perth a decade ago, they really seem clueless when it comes to how to get this monkey off the back in one day cricket.

Doesn't this whole scenario - a once in a generation player saying he's giving a format away to spend two years building towards a must-win tournament put even more extreme pressure on to deliver next time?

SA now are almost paying for the sins of past teams.

You'd have to assume if they'd won a World Cup before he wouldn't be making this decision.

For a team who's mental strength in test cricket has been absolutely remarkable basically from the moment they chased 400 in Perth a decade ago, they really seem clueless when it comes to how to get this monkey off the back in one day cricket.

Doesn't this whole scenario - a once in a generation player saying he's giving a format away to spend two years building towards a must-win tournament put even more extreme pressure on to deliver next time?

I don't see it this way at all. The whole reason for this is to allow de Villiers to pursue his personal T20 interests, but still to retain his services for the national team in some form. AB has obviously put the foot down and said there will need to be compromises to enable this to happen, given the importance of the World Cup and he's already reached the pinnacle with the team in test cricket to them it's pretty logical to go for the Cup. Regardless of whether AB is there or not (or playing all formats) there's going to be the natural pressure on them anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the Tests are just for this summer given they have 4 against India and then us. Could see him retiring after the series against us seeing as I believe they've never beat us at home since readmission? Either way it's good news since they play something like 13 Tests between now and then.

Wonder if the Tests are just for this summer given they have 4 against India and then us. Could see him retiring after the series against us seeing as I believe they've never beat us at home since readmission? Either way it's good news since they play something like 13 Tests between now and then.

Correct. Not sure about England in Pakistan or UAE but I think if they defeated Australia in SA, they become the only team to beat everyone everywhere since 1992. Fairly sure Aus haven't won in Pakistan in that time (they won in the UAE in 2003).

Correct. Not sure about England in Pakistan or UAE but I think if they defeated Australia in SA, they become the only team to beat everyone everywhere since 1992. Fairly sure Aus haven't won in Pakistan in that time (they won in the UAE in 2003).
We won in Pakistan in 1998, by my reckoning they'll be the first to do it since we won in India.

Fantastic news for the game. Just too good a player to not be displaying his ability and shores up a struggling South African batting lineup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back