The Swansong - Departed Musicians

Remove this Banner Ad

DLL98S4U8AI4pQY.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m shattered. A love affair that spanned four decades. Tom produced great music because he listened to great music in his teenage years. In his music you can hear Dylan, Byrd’s, Beatles and The Rolling Stones. His jangly guitar, his raunchy riffs and his wonderful lyrics took me to a happy place. Loved his work with the Traveling Wilburys. Cool Dry Place is a classic. Full Moon Fever is one of the greatest LPs of all time.

For an unknown reason I recently listened to a number of his albums on YouTube. I must have read Wikipedia at the same time. I had it in my mind that he was a Texan. I found out he wasn’t. He was born in Gainesville, Florida. I also found out that his first band was called Mudcrutch.

Have a listen. It was there from the start.

Safe travels Tom Petty. You were always an oasis of greatness in a desert of mediocrity.:cry:

I’m shattered. A love affair that spanned four decades. Tom produced great music because he listened to great music in his teenage years. In his music you can hear Dylan, Byrd’s, Beatles and The Rolling Stones. His jangly guitar, his raunchy riffs and his wonderful lyrics took me to a happy place. Loved his work with the Traveling Wilburys. Cool Dry Place is a classic. Full Moon Fever is one of the greatest LPs of all time.

For an unknown reason I recently listened to a number of his albums on YouTube. I must have read Wikipedia at the same time. I had it in my mind that he was a Texan. I found out he wasn’t. He was born in Gainesville, Florida. I also found out that his first band was called Mudcrutch.

Safe travels Tom Petty. You were always an oasis of greatness in a desert of mediocrity.:cry:

He's like the conduit, the guy that linked them all up.

On the George doco, his stories (the Roy Orbison phone call, the ukele story), Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Cash, he was the one that carried the torch.

Got to see Tom Petty perform a few times when living in the United States. One of the few performers I've seen multiple times that I can say without a shadow of doubt that he brought it absolutely every time. There was no mailing it in with Tom Petty.

Wow, Just Wow!

I remember having a chat with Chicago Mike outside a coffee shop which was across the road from Bill Wyman’s Sticky Fingers restaurant in London. We were coming to the end of his Rock’n’roll tour of London which had been a great experience for a tragic like me. We’d been to Abbey Road Studios, driven past the pharmacy (no longer there and now a Maccas) where Mick had met Jimmy who looked mighty ill and the pubs where the Stones and The Beatles use to drink. There was lots more but this is not the point of the story.

I had my coffee in my hand and took a sip.

“What about The Easybeats Chicago Mike?”

A blank look was followed by “Never heard of them”.

I knew then that my tour guide wasn’t a real fan of 60s London music.

George Young was a member of The Easybeats. The first Australian band to make it big overseas. ‘Friday on my Mind’ reached number 2 on the charts in England. Not bad when you consider the competition.

The band was short lived but not the talents of Harry Vanda and George Young. They performed as Flash in the Pan and had a couple of hits. However it was there production and songwriting at Alberts that set them apart. Plenty of hits for JPY and Stevie Wright. Famously producing AC-DC and The Angels in the early days. George had to help out his younger brothers Angus and Malcolm. There’s plenty more...

Vale wee Scot. Say hello to Bon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back