Opinion Dead rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

I've friends who are Adelaide fans. I avoid talking football with them.

radiojake as far as footy knowledge of every clubs fans, Port supporters are generally people who've followed football from a young age. Maybe in 30 more years that'll be Adelaide's supporters, but right now there's still thousands attending games (plus many more who don't) who barely followed football prior to 1990. Theatre goers the derisive term given to them. This lack of knowledge gets passed down from generation to generation to boot. Unsurprisingly only West Coast fans rival Adelaide's, for people from football states, for lacking a grasp of the game beyond calls of 'Ball!' every time an opposition player is within 5 metres of it.

Seriously this is where you have a problem, Id love to know how many on here would actually have played the game for over 25 years, well and truly most of those I played with were crows supporters, there actually weren't that many power supporters in any leagues I played at, whether it was amatuers, SANFL, southern or South East SA. Does playing the game for so long make you more knowledgable than those that just barrack for a team and think they know a lot about footy, who knows maybe in your opinion it does

We hated Norwood in the SANFL but there was alot more respect between the clubs/supporters

Up until a few years ago, I'd attended every Port v Norwood game at The Parade with a mate of mine for over a decade.

Not anymore though. The home crowd has become a Crows-lite fanbase.

I reckon alot of it has do with the type of hatred
We hated Norwood in the SANFL but there was alot more respect between the clubs/supporters

With the crows was a toxic hatred already which is continuously flamed by the Adelaide media
Yeah some of my best mates are Norwood supporters. Those who left the SA still have a soft spot for them, but don't support the crows, a couple had VFL teams and stuck with them and one supports the swans because he takes his sons to watch them. A couple of mates who stayed in SA did follow the crows, but still love Norwood beating the Maggies, so the footy rivalry I have with those group of mates has changed over the years.

Yeah some of my best mates are Norwood supporters. Those who left the SA still have a soft spot for them, but don't support the crows, a couple had VFL teams and stuck with them and one supports the swans because he takes his sons to watch them. A couple of mates who stayed in SA did follow the crows, but still love Norwood beating the Maggies, so the footy rivalry I have with those group of mates has changed over the years.
Yet the one thing that hasnt changed over the years is our support of our club. Its everyone else thats changed.. lol

I reckon alot of it has do with the type of hatred

With the crows, its a festering toxic hatred which is continuously flamed by the Adelaide media

In my case it's reading about the history of the Club and how it was the collective campaignerism of the SANFL of the day that spawned the Crows. Irony is if we'd have been allowed to join in 1991 as planned, Norwood would have cemented their future by joining a few years later. Instead they have become irrelevant.

tenor.gif

Give him time. We may see Connor in brown and gold yet.

The fact a game was decided by a goal that wasn't a goal absolutely broke my showdown fuse.

The fact such a crucial, line-ball moment was decided in seconds because Sydney vs. Collingwood was coming up, while they go over a second quarter rushed behind in painstaking CSI-levels of detail when Gold Coast play Carlton on a Sunday arvo.

Sure. Why not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fck I hate the SANFL. It's warranted. They didn't want us in. Fck them. They got this **** Cnt of a team called the cross created crowds. Camrys. You wanna see hate. Just ask me. *ingg sht campaigner of a pathetic mob they are.
Looking forward to the afl reserves it's going to kill off the snafl.

I think it's the football in general or maybe I work/hang out with the wrong people... 10+ years ago it seemed there was alot of fans. With alot of passion one eyed ect... these days it just seems like it's all to much effort for a lot of people... "yeah I go for team x but dont watch or go to games"

One of the reasons I'm glad I found bigfooty...

Nope. I hate the Crows, I will always hate the Crows. It's never OK to lose to them.

I was choking on a fish bone when Lewis Johnstone took that mark in Showdown 35.

I survived and so did we.

I want to see blood and fire tonight.

It's because right now, football is actually ******* terrible.
Change my mind.

When you can not win a final and over the same period lose 8 of 9 without any major consequences or ramification then surely it counts for nothing within the club other than a few extra dollars from opposition fans

What I saw last night was that it mattered more to Sloane, Lynch, Walker and the crows as a whole. They roared when they kicked goals and gave it to us in the crowd.

Apart from Dougal’s cheer when he soccered that goal, were any of the boys up and about? Did they show they cared?

It’s felt like the crows have been willing to work harder and longer and care more about this contest than Port do. That’s been the state for the past decade. The crows don’t get pumped in show downs, we do. The crows don’t embarrass their home crowd or let easy goals through.

That’s the reality. This crop of players and coaches don’t put the performances on the board that show they care. So the fan base struggles to embrace it also.

Fix the on field passion and everything will flow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back