Deadly serious David Warner out thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Khawaja is fifty times better than Warner. Has a sound defensive technique which is what you need in 5-day cricket.

Bet he's chomping at the bit to score some runs next test.

Warner has a role to play, it's to be aggressive, when it comes off he's a God, when it doesn't he's a campaigner, for an opener to average near 50 with his strike rate is phenomenal.

I'm not saying Warner is exempt from criticism, but like Sehwag you take the good with the bad because the good outweighs the bad.

Yeah but there comes a point where you've got to ask yourself if the good is actually worth it.

Think about the runs he gets in Australia. Now even I can admit that from time to time he will come out on the first morning of a test ala Sydney and basically bat a team out of the game in 3 hours. But I'd very much like to see how many of his runs have come either batting second after a visiting team has been anihilated in their first innings and come out to bowl already defeated, or batting third and basically just teeing off with literally no pressure on.
Maybe I'm wrong and figures won't back that assessment up, I'm not sure. But I think his realistic value to the team even at home isn't anywhere near what it might appear.

Yeah but there comes a point where you've got to ask yourself if the good is actually worth it.

Think about the runs he gets in Australia. Now even I can admit that from time to time he will come out on the first morning of a test ala Sydney and basically bat a team out of the game in 3 hours. But I'd very much like to see how many of his runs have come either batting second after a visiting team has been anihilated in their first innings and come out to bowl already defeated, or batting third and basically just teeing off with literally no pressure on.
Maybe I'm wrong and figures won't back that assessment up, I'm not sure. But I think his realistic value to the team even at home isn't anywhere near what it might appear.
The important thing is he's ******* fun to watch, and if he's on he can make us safe from defeat within 2 sessions, scored a century in a session last summer lol.

So your advocating who to replace him? He averages 37 away not exactly a disaster. He's been poor but to suggest there are any better options is fanciful.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

What's selfless about his batting? Ok you could argue that scoring slower might help his average - but reality says otherwise. Usually on the minuscule occasions when he tries to bat patiently he has a brain melt anyway and if anything, scores less.
Frequently when the situation calls for some circumspection, he simply can't help himself and throws it away. His personal mandate to dominate at all costs seems to overrule any idea of common sense when he's at the crease. Warner is many things but selfless at the crease is not one that springs readily to mind.

The other long bow was about his hard work. Mate I don't know this for sure but I'm guessing Mitch Marsh works just as hard as the other blokes. That doesn't give him an automatic claim on a spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ball to get him out was pretty damn good. But to come out and play the way he did shows he doesn't have it to succeed in the subcontinent. Not sure when Australia are going to the subcontinent next but if he's being picked for those tours it's not because of his batting ability. Not sure if Khawaja is better but he was dropped/hasn't been played for basically the same reason, and Warner's had a s**t load more opportunities now.

Not bad in the Windies either looking at most recent series stats.

NZ had a poor one

Warner has played two series in the west indies and averaged a paltry 26 with a highest score of just 62, thats pretty awful considering many top players fill their boots on that tour, i think you might be confusing his home runs last season vs the west indies with his away.

Warner has played two series in the west indies and averaged a paltry 26 with a highest score of just 62, thats pretty awful considering many top players fill their boots on that tour, i think you might be confusing his home runs last season vs the west indies with his away.
Well I looked at the most recent series.

8,0,62,20 when chasing 50.
Wasn't too bad

Well I looked at the most recent series.

8,0,62,20 when chasing 50.
Wasn't too bad

An average of 24 against the 8th ranked test side, if thats a good tour then there are no bad tours.

fact is that 62 is his only 50+ score on two tours to the west indies, considering ravi ashwin has a ton over there it isn't good stuff from a star batsman.

We need to wait out the result of this test match before any rash decisions are made, but it would seem likely with our numerous left handers we are headed for defeat.

Warner for Khawaja is the obvious move buy there is plusses and minuses to either. Will Khawaja be any better? What if warner comes off on a flat day 1 pitch?

If we need to win I think you stick with Warner, but barring an incredible turnaround in the 4th test he will never tour india again.

An average of 24 against the 8th ranked test side, if thats a good tour then there are no bad tours.

fact is that 62 is his only 50+ score on two tours to the west indies, considering ravi ashwin has a ton over there it isn't good stuff from a star batsman.
Ok he hasn't done well in the windies

They should send me over, I grew up along the banks of the Merri creek, as most of you know those backyard pitches make the Indian pitches look like freeways, I could even get a few mates to join me, we aren't overly keen on running now days though so we'll deal in boundaries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back