Dealing with this..

Remove this Banner Ad

I would imagine the worst part is dealing with all the Port supporters, You mostly live interstate so don't have to deal with alot of Tigers supporters in your face..

Obviously losing hurts, At least you lost to a team that's had nothing but misery for almost 40 years.. So it was our turn, You're all crazy if you don't think you are on the brink of a long run of top 4 finishes.. The only team to stand in your way next year will be GWS.

tom lynch kicks that goal early in the second, what happens from there.. that was such a crucial miss
That one is haunting me the most as then we are off and away in the second which is generally our main quarter. It was such an obvious 50 but he should have also scored the goal..
He had no impact after that either as they were roughing him up and grappling him all day. He kicks that I doubt that happens as bad.

Let's not be too melodramatic

One set of supporters goes through this every year!

Our turn unfortunately.

What will be interesting is how our players cope/rebound. A large number of them have just walked off with a GF performance they would be embarrassed about.

There's a risk that has long term effects on belief, confidence and enthusiasm. Even a narrow loss (let alone a win) could galvanise the group but that's the sort of performance that could fracture us. For instance, much easier for Sloane to walk away from a group he has doubts about and that doubts itself.
It's can also burn in thier guts and drive them next year. I'm thinking this is what will happen.

Big question is: will they learn from it, or will it become part of their identity?
We got better after our semi final losses rather than wallowing in self pity. Here's hoping.

Will take some strong leadership though.

How to deal with losing a grand final, easier said than done,
But first up you don't throw out the toys with the bath water as a few have done.
Spitting the Dummy does not help. when your team lose's a grand final,
As supporters, we mourn the loss, then go back and look at the year as a whole,

As for dealing with other supporters that easy. Agree with them we played s**t but that was because Richmond played better.
We will be at the pointy end next year,

I would imagine the worst part is dealing with all the Port supporters, You mostly live interstate so don't have to deal with alot of Tigers supporters in your face..

Obviously losing hurts, At least you lost to a team that's had nothing but misery for almost 40 years.. So it was our turn, You're all crazy if you don't think you are on the brink of a long run of top 4 finishes.. The only team to stand in your way next year will be GWS.
I live in Melbourne :(

As Centrals fan - I've experienced both the joys of premiership wins, and the gutting that comes with grand final losses.

For me, best thing to do is remember that at the end of the day it is just a game and isn't the end of the world. Try and focus on other things for at least this week. NHL kicks off this week :)

Next week will be trade week and we can look at what we can get for Lever and Cameron, if someone can take Jenkins off our hands, and can we someone pull of the Gibbs coup this time around.

Also, once the grief finishes, we will still be able to look back on what was a largely successful year (and a more successful year than 16 other clubs). Yes, we lost the GF (and I hope like hell that burns through the players for next season), we can still celebrate:
- AFLW flag
- Best start to the season in history
- Some fantastic wins (and a pretty frickin brave draw), starting with the Showdown the week after the Collingwood draw.
- The rise of players like McGovern, the Crouch brothers, Kelly etc.

We will rise from this. The club has risen from worse in the past.

Last edited:

Best way to deal with Port supporters rubbing it in:

geelong163port44.jpg

They also lose any fightback with the situation with Ryder anyway.

Best way to deal with Port supporters rubbing it in:

geelong163port44.jpg

They also lose any fightback with the situation with Ryder anyway.

Good old JimmieBeerCans gloating after being MIA since extra time and proclaiming a Crows win by 6 goals last week , replies to my 119 comment with " that's all you got"!
The idiot doesn't realize he's doing the same thing but 12 goals less.

Special kind of stupid that lot!

I must say being in Fed Square waiting to head away from melb, at least it's all storm gear and not bloody tiger stuff everywhere..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great teams often lose grand finals. You could reel off the list. West Coast in 1991 and 2005. Hawthorn in 2012. Geelong 2008. North Melbourne in 1998.

Pretenders also lose grand finals too. Port in 2007. Melbourne in 2000. West Coast in 2015.

Which one are we? That is the question.

i'm still unsure wether I should feel disgusted with the effort shown, or be proud we made it that far

i'm still numb.
Nothing wrong with feeling both. Own the loss, rejoice in the possibilities of the future.

For me its not so much about losing but how we lost. Thats where my disappoint lies.

Being a Glenelg supporter for 60 years I can remember being on the bottom of the ladder for about 45 of those years (thats a guess). Then Kerley came on board and for a ten year period we played in about 5 grand finals and lost 4. Then from 1973 to 1992 Glenelg played in 10 grand finals and lost seven. So close yet so far away

Everyone of those losses hurt. Its the end of the world. (especially when Port beat you). What can you do. Well some decide to move on because they cant stand to be backing a struggling team and others decide that no matter what I wont ever quit the club. Then after all the pain when you win one, man its the best feeling. You feel that you have truly shared the win because you stuck with the team through thick and thin.

So we will all get over the disappointment of Saturday but a new season will roll around and you will still be as enthusiastic as you were this year.

Perhaps blind loyalty like I have is slowly disappearing as players seem to lose their loyalty. Each year we seem to have different players and perhaps your loyalty goes with the player. I mean how many would change loyalties because Sloane moved to St Kilda. Maybe not too many but there would be some.

I am hoping that the club can demonstrate some aggressive, determined trading to get what we need and if they do then we will all reinvest in the club.

Thankfully, I didn't cop anything from Richmond supporters at any point when I was in Melbourne, even after the game. After I got back, even the Port supporting members of my church didn't give me any stick about it - and we usually share some good natured banter at other times of the season. I seem to have been one of the fortunate ones so far. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes when I'm back at work tomorrow.

I've come to a cross roads where I want to do one of two things.

a.) Quit watching sport entirely, quit BF and just take a passing interest in the Crows.

b.) Take up watching other sports to dilute my love of the Crows. Might not feel so bad if I have other teams and sports to obsess over. I will always have the Double Blues but SANFL is so low key these days. I guess there's cricket but the aussies recently lost to Bangladesh didn't they? Everybody I know loves watching NBA. I guess I could also get into Baseball because it's a bit like an American version of cricket. Watched the world series last year and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Tbh both these options seem like a s**t sandwich.

I've come to a cross roads where I want to do one of two things.

a.) Quit watching sport entirely, quit BF and just take a passing interest in the Crows.

b.) Take up watching other sports to dilute my love of the Crows. Might not feel so bad if I have other teams and sports to obsess over. I will always have the Double Blues but SANFL is so low key these days. I guess there's cricket but the aussies recently lost to Bangladesh didn't they? Everybody I know loves watching NBA. I guess I could also get into Baseball because it's a bit like an American version of cricket. Watched the world series last year and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Tbh both these options seem like a s**t sandwich.
I know, your invested in the team or our not, nonin between and stages like this, it's just a dreaded feeling nothing can solve..
All these trade stories wouldn't matter for us at all if we win, now they hurt more.

I know, your invested in the team or our not, nonin between and stages like this, it's just a dreaded feeling nothing can solve..
All these trade stories wouldn't matter for us at all if we win, now they hurt more.

Actually I'm pretty numb to all the trade stuff really. When we lost Dangerfield, I lost any sense of sentimentality for our players and just started viewing them as race horses to be bought and traded.

Actually I'm pretty numb to all the trade stuff really. When we lost Dangerfield, I lost any sense of sentimentality for our players and just started viewing them as race horses to be bought and traded.
Ah, yes, chattels. Except we have little control over their value or movement.

Ah, yes, chattels. Except we have little control over their value or movement.

I wish we had the system they have in MLB where players can be traded against their will. I have no issues with Lever going to Victoria but we should be able to start a bidding war. Instead we will have to respect his wishes and let him go to a team of his choosing. It's total bs. This is one of the reasons I scoffed at the AFLPA threatening strike action earlier this year. They get away with murder and they know it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back