Dean Cox- at what point is 300 possible?

Remove this Banner Ad

Plus the higher temperatures in Perth on game days, and the big ground at Subiaco ! Still, Fremantle have had 300 game players (not sure how many) I think (maybe Pavlich ?).
Nah, Freo haven't had any 300 gamers yet either. Pavlich will probably get there. Like others I'd love to see Coxy crack the 300 but don't think he'll quite get there.

Serious question, if Cox approaches 300 and maintains similar to present form for 2 more seasons will he go close to being our greatest ever player?

Honestly its not to extreme a proposition (if he sticks around).

As for his durability, who knows? Could be a year, could be 3-4.

I reckon he could easily have another 3-4 year in him (barring injury), but i reckon he will step down after 2 and let another ruckman take his spot would that be Lycett or another guy will pick up in years to come.

Cox will not make it to 300, he will get around 260-280 and his body will break down, bookmark it, the travel takes too much of a toll on bodies, and now with the interchange rules, subs and change of the way the game is played with more collisions and things of that nature I doubt West Coast will ever get a 300 game player, our best chance was Ben Cousins and we all know how that went

If the bloke wants to stay im sure there is a spot on the list. He could miss every second road trip.

Being one of our only vets (cox glass embley) he would be worth keeping on board as half? his salary is off the books.

Serious question, if Cox approaches 300 and maintains similar to present form for 2 more seasons will he go close to being our greatest ever player?

Honestly its not to extreme a proposition (if he sticks around).

This is how I see it ATM:

1. Peter Matera
2. Ben Cousins
3. Dean Cox
4. Glen Jakovich
5. Chris Judd

Get another AA jumper - or have another couple of years like he did last year and he'll leap Cousins, so it's not inconceivable... especially if he helps us get another flag.

When you talk ruckman you think

Polly Farmer
Simon Madden
Dean Cox

Yes, I never saw the other two play and Ive only ever heard of their Heroics, but I have seen Dean Cox play and not only is he a dominant ruckman (gaining enormous number of hit outs) he REVOLUTIONIZED the game becoming a midfielder and known for his silky skills and fitness, changing the way a ruckman should play and are perceived as did the other two. And he has the credentials to back it up.

Thus I conclude

Dean Cox - Arguably the GREATEST ruckman of ALL TIME

and he would definitely hold his own against these two!

Big call in front of Jacko. Still probably my favourite or 2nd fav player. Perhaps his media is pushing him downwards for some people :p

Woosha was on 720 radio this morning and was quizzed by Freo fanatic Geof Hutchinson about Cox , and Woosha reckons like past great ruckman he could play untill he is 36 or 37 if he wishes too :eek:

I think that was a 2010 " Oh Dear Me " comment by Woosha because I think the game has changed quite a bit since the Madden , Farmer , Nichols days !

Big call in front of Jacko. Still probably my favourite or 2nd fav player. Perhaps his media is pushing him downwards for some people :p

His 'boundary riding' is cringeworthy, however any non-believers of how good he was need to source some vision of his duels with Wayne Carey from the 90s.

I think Dean Cox is on track to be our greatest player ever. Things might start going wrong for him in coming years, but if he can muster, say, 2 more AA seasons, then he deserves the mantle of our greatest. Assisting in another premiership would cement it imo.
On the flipside though, he has never been captain and only has one B&F to his name. Also, despite his brilliance, he doesnt have the amazing skillful x-factor of the games greatest. Similar to Scarlett really, in terms of legacy.

Scott Selwood and Naitanui at this stage are tracking nicely, both look the goods to atleast make 200, barring disaster.
Beyond them, its highly unlikely. Hurn is entering his 7th season, and hasnt reached 100 games yet. A.Selwood has had injuries creeping into his career, and is borderline best-22. Also didnt really break into the team until 2005, relatively late to make a run at 300.

I guess we cant entirely rule out Embley, and he could be one of those fitness freaks that plays well into their 30's. But he seems too injury prone, and his form fluctuates too much. Could be the first to pass Jakovich though, or even Glass, but I cant imagine Glass being around in 2014.

A long shot would be Lynch. Just turned 29, and is currently on 188 games. Would probably need a Geelong-like era of dominance to get there. But I just have a funny feeling about the big man, and his career has taken unexpected turns. Very unlikely, sounds crazy, but you never know. 250 would be a massive achievement by the Big Q, and the fans would love it.

Scott Selwood, Jack Darling, Naitanui are those that have our highest chance simply because they played a lot of early games in their careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes will smash 300 with ease. Pav will do it for Freo. Two players who I liken to Jack.

Could Goodes cop 400, I definitely think he could and hope he beats Bartlett. He is EASILY on of the Greatest players of ALL TIME. Especially because he is still playing in career best form at 300 games. Thats what SUPERSTARS do play SUPER footy deep into their careers

Scott Selwood, Jack Darling, Naitanui are those that have our highest chance simply because they played a lot of early games in their careers.

Huge uncertainty there.

I think there comes a moment of truth in most players careers, about the 25, 26 mark, where they have a better than even chance of at least one serious injury setback- that basically decides their future. When predicting 300 gamers, I think the trick is to look at people who have gotten to that 27-30 age bracket relatively unscathed in terms of injuries, both because their games totals will be higher, and because they won't be carrying chronic problems which will eventually total them.

Second point, is that with notable exceptions, I think it will become increasingly more difficult for midfielders to crack 300, unless they have some pretty extraordinary strings to their bows- losing that yard of pace that people inevitably do in their 30s is becoming a much bigger deal given how modern foozball is played.

Third, and for the same reason, it is hard for dedicated stoppers to reach big totals- a key defender or tagger who loses a yard of pace can go from a fearsome player to a complete dud very quickly. 300 gamers either have to have an exceptional football brain or some other marketable skill which doesn't slow up with age.

I reckon the thing to look for are guys in their late 20s with lots of games under their belts, no serious injury problems, versatility, and some skills which are not purely a function of their athletic ability.

Would need to play another 5 years, to the age of 37. Would be pretty difficult but it is possible.

Would need to play most probably another four whole seasons without missing more than 15 games.

Which would take him to the end of the 2015 season.

It's hard, but it's not impossible. Having a talented ruckmen like Naitanui to take over the number one role through the middle helps, having another excellent prospect in Lycett doesn't.

I wont rule him out till he retires.

Gees, that would be great if the big fella could reach 300 games. To do it a ruckman in this day and age would be a champion effort.

I've said it with Glass - but there's no reason we couldn't do it with Cox - give them the first few months off.

Once they don't think they can get through a full season - bring them in from Rd 13 and have the only play the back half of the season.

It's effectively what Brad Ottens did for the back half of his career.

This is how I see it ATM:

1. Peter Matera
2. Ben Cousins
3. Dean Cox
4. Glen Jakovich
5. Chris Judd

Get another AA jumper - or have another couple of years like he did last year and he'll leap Cousins, so it's not inconceivable... especially if he helps us get another flag.

I don't think it matters how many AA jumpers Cox gets, he will never surpass Cousins IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back