Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Dean Cox has left our club after 18 years as both a player and assistant coach:
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-10-09/cox-heads-to-harbour-city

After more than 18 years playing and coaching at the West Coast Eagles Dean Cox is departing the club.

Cox, the club’s games record holder with 290 games, is set to join the Sydney Swans to continue the next phase of his coaching development.

West Coast Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett said Cox’s imprint on the West Coast Eagles will be remembered forever.

“There are few people in the club’s history who can match Dean’s contribution on and off the field,” Nisbett said.

“While we’re disappointed to lose someone of Dean’s quality, we understand it is part of his continued growth as a coach.

“We thank Dean for everything he has given the West Coast Eagles and wish him the very best in the future.”

While we already have a thread for coaches, I feel Coxy deserves his own dedicated one. A legend of West Coast and the current games record holder, he revolutionised the role of a ruckman and retired as one of the GOATs.

Here's some of his career highlights:
* East Perth premiership side 2000
* Simpson Medal 2000
* All-Australian team 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012
* West Coast premiership side 2006
* West Coast Best Clubman Award 2006
* West Coast John Worsfold Medal 2008

Thanks for the memories Coxy, and goodluck in Sydney!

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion, its great to have coxy at the club, his playing resume speaks for itself, but what is the honest general opinion of his coaching ability, i seem to remember him copping a bit of criticism around here?

Thanks

Hey guys sorry for the intrusion, its great to have coxy at the club, his playing resume speaks for itself, but what is the honest general opinion of his coaching ability, i seem to remember him copping a bit of criticism around here?

Thanks

Hard to say. Our midfield wasn't performing so i guess him being the midfield coach it is easy to blame him.... But we just do mot have a good midfield.

Think he will be a great get for you guys and he needs to leave the club if he has senior coaching ambitions.

Thanks
As above. Hard for him to soar like and Eagle when he was working with Turkeys.

But very sad to see him leave the Eagles, but wish him all the best over East.

You're always welcome here Superstar swan.
I think Cox seemed to go alright as a Ruck coach, but didn't do enough when looking after the midfield. It's not so much that he isn't rated, but the general feeling is more along the lines of us having too many ex players and not enough experienced coaching support for Simmo.

You're always welcome here Superstar swan.
I think Cox seemed to go alright as a Ruck coach, but didn't do enough when looking after the midfield. It's not so much that he isn't rated, but the general feeling is more along the lines of us having too many ex players and not enough experienced coaching support for Simmo.
Fair enough, we will just have to see how it pans out, he will be great to have as tutelage to the rucks however not to sure what he can teach them, none on our list have the athletic ability the great cox had

Fair enough, we will just have to see how it pans out, he will be great to have as tutelage to the rucks however not to sure what he can teach them, none on our list have the athletic ability the great cox had
Wasn't quite so agile toward the end of his career. If Tippett hangs around I think Cox would be good for him.

Dont say such horrible things
Can't remember, but was it early this year, or early last year where Tippet was in all Australian form as a second ruck/forward. He has a much higher ceiling than your other rucks playing the ruck/fwd position IMO. Also, not wishing it, but he would be pretty important if Buddy were to go down injured.

That being said, he's not worth what he's being paid

Can't remember, but was it early this year, or early last year where Tippet was in all Australian form as a second ruck/forward. He has a much higher ceiling than your other rucks playing the ruck/fwd position IMO. Also, not wishing it, but he would be pretty important if Buddy were to go down injured.

That being said, he's not worth what he's being paid
Yea 2016 he was in great form but unfortunately he suffered a rare injury setback and hasnt got near it since..personally i think he has mentally checked out

Good for Coxy to help his future coaching development but it leaves a big hole in the coaching ranks in my opinion.

Would have been an ideal ruck coach, need to scout far and wide to replace him in that position.

Entice the best out there and don't settle for Petrie/ Giles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks for everything dean. two things ill never forget while you were in wce colours

1. The celebration at the siren of the 2006 final. still makes me well up.

2. the cheeky small forward crumber like goal he kicked against essendon i think in 2006 as well

thanks for everything dean. two things ill never forget while you were in wce colours

1. The celebration at the siren of the 2006 final. still makes me well up.

2. the cheeky small forward crumber like goal he kicked against essendon i think in 2006 as well

Number 2. Lost his mouth guard in the process if I remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back