Dean Jones Champion Cricketer and Passionate Blues Supporter has passed away in India

Remove this Banner Ad

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
And this is Carlton related how?
His father Barney was a great Carlton cricketer.
And this is Carlton related how?
His father Barney was a great Carlton cricketer who played football for the Carlton U/19s and Reserves.
Dean played for Australia, Victoria, and the Carlton C. C.
A great Carlton family.
Vale Deano

Loved watching him play, got the chance to meet him when his manager came to my house with him in the car. I was walking slowly due to a crook back and he told me to look after my back because he had trouble with his. Swapped a couple of war stories about cricket.

Took the time to have a chat with a random stranger and came across as a genuinely nice person. Thanks for the memories Deano

There wasn't a Melbournian cricketing kid who didn't worship at the alters of one D. Jones or M. Hughes while I was a kid.

I was fortunate enough to attend all of the ODI's when Jones was playing. Also got to attend his testimonial match at the MCG.

As such, part of my childhood is now gone.

Rest in Peace Legend.

been mentioned dean jones has died of a heart attack in india? aside from everything else he was a dyed in the wool blue boy...vale to an exciting batsman.....

Yes, there was a thread started about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Completely shocked.

He wasn't always my favourite player but, back when ODI's were almost as important as tests, no matter how bad it was we were always a chance if Deano was still in.

His best was breathtaking.

Very sad.
Can remember like yesterday a couple of innings when Deano and O'Donnell got in together and it was just fireworks...like nothing I'd seen before.

He may have been dudded on the test front, but will still be remembered as an absolute game changer.

BlueZombie

All Australian
Aug 7, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Australian Cricket team
This is absolutely horrendous news. Being a cricket tragic since coming to this country as a whippersnapper He was such an important part of my childhood. This is a very sad day indeed. Rest in peace Deano, and condolences to your family left behind.

24Dean-JonesRIP.jpeg

Thanks for the cricket for Vic and Aus, railing against the Sydney centric administrators and the support for the blues. RIP Deano.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My absolute favourite. Used to make more effort to watch him playing for Victoria than I would to see the national team playing without him. Lots of kids (myself included) were repeatedly shattered by his ongoing non-selection. Like me, a mad Carlton supporter from Coburg. Unfortunately, our similarities didn’t carry onto the cricket field!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The jones boy was second only to viv richards as most watchable exciting cricketer in that period ..they had that swagger very few have and perform on the big stage ... he played the game like a slick confident footballer ,always on the move either with bat in hand or as exceptional fielder.....victorian crowds would cheer out his name all day at the MCG for years after he was dropped demanding him back in the side ....that has never happened again in australian cricket.
RIP champ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back