Dean Jones Champion Cricketer and Passionate Blues Supporter has passed away in India

Remove this Banner Ad

This is truly shocking news! 59 years old is so young. My condolences to the Jones family, his friends, his colleagues and wider cricket community.

Dean Jones is a name that will always be remembered. Legend!

Deano was my favourite cricketer growing up.

When he got dropped from the Aus team, I thought it was the biggest sporting injustice ever (I was young). But I guess it was probably due to his prickly personality more than his batting skills or form.

A few years later, he got picked in a World XI to play AGAINST Australia (was there). He scored a century and almost won the match. I had hoped it would be enough to get him recalled to the Aus side, but deep down I knew that ship had sailed. At least he got one last chance to 'stick it up em' and show he was still one of the world's best.

Was a key player in the development of ODI cricket, a very good test batsman, an outspoken man and will be missed by fans worldwide.

When he got dropped from the Aus team, I thought it was the biggest sporting injustice ever (I was young). But I guess it was probably due to his prickly personality more than his batting skills or form.

A few years later, he got picked in a World XI to play AGAINST Australia (was there). He scored a century and almost won the match. I had hoped it would be enough to get him recalled to the Aus side, but deep down I knew that ship had sailed. At least he got one last chance to 'stick it up em' and show he was still one of the world's best.

Was a key player in the development of ODI cricket, a very good test batsman, an outspoken man and will be missed by fans worldwide.

I too was at the game. Very young. We made a late dash for it from our summer holiday campground down Mornington Peninsula way bc Deano was playing... for all sorts of reasons we were held up along the way and missed a good chunk of Deano’s innings ... correct me if I’m wrong, but in my memory he scored is century with a 6 - reckon he went from 96 to 102 ... I was one hundred percent behind the World XI that match bc of Deano.

I too was at the game. Very young. We made a late dash for it from our summer holiday campground down Mornington Peninsula way bc Deano was playing... for all sorts of reasons we were held up along the way and missed a good chunk of Deano’s innings ... correct me if I’m wrong, but in my memory he scored is century with a 6 - reckon he went from 96 to 102 ... I was one hundred percent behind the World XI that match bc of Deano.

Yep, also pretty sure he brought up his ton with a 6. Straight drive down the ground IIRC. For extra drama, I think it was in the last over of the match.

I have a feeling it might have been his only 'international' century at the MCG. I reckon about 70% of the crowd was barracking against the Aussies that day in support of Deano.

Dean lived in my town and was a member at my golf club. It's a small club so all the members tend to know each other. Being a passionate Carlton supporter we would regularly chat about how the Blues are going, although not always agree with one another.

He had a larger than life personality and was never afraid to share his opinion, even if it meant rubbing people up the wrong way at times. I often said to other members that he probably needed that kind of attitude to make him the great cricketer he was.

If he was telling a story you could guarantee that anyone within ears length was listening in and captivated that's for sure.

In recent years he had worked a lot with developing cricket nations and it was very clear how passionate he was about it.

He's going to be missed by a lot of people all over the world.

From the Dean Jones Appreciation thread on the Cricket board.

Vale.

:'(

EirHKGCWoAA_HXL

EirN1fcXYAED8U2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only wish I still had the old "test match" cricket game so I could smash out a few more Dean Jones centuries on it.

Oh and Deano, I apologise for when I was a young lad at a cricket session for totally disrespecting your attempts at trying to teach us how to bowl an inswinger.

The amount of times I’d sit and watch a one day game on tv quietly praying for Geoff Marsh to get out so that Deano could come to the crease and bat with Boonie (another fantastic Carlton man). I used to love hearing Deano talk about Carlton.

Easily my favourite player. I remember railing at his omission from the test team, and the weak grounds for it (they said something along the lines that he made the majority of his centuries in the second innings... poor excuse). I even forgave him for losing the series against the West Indies after the Curtley Ambrose wristband debacle.

I watch the highlights... I feel sadness for the loss of my youth when I hear Richie Benaud and Tony Greig offer commentary. But I feel sadness for Deano when I watch his swashbuckling pull shots to the fence. The selectors ended his career way too soon, and now his heart has ended his life way too soon. I hope Deano is enjoying the catchup with Richie and Tony today. They’ve got a pretty mean commentary team going between them.

Guts determination talent and flair. You just knew something special could happen when he stepped over the rope.

Shocked and saddened.

Dean Jones played for 55 games for the Carlton Cricket Club. The cricket club used to share the same ground as the football club.

To add further, Dean's father is an absolute legend of the cricket club too.

There are few people connected to the footy club more deserving to be recognized for their life and passing than Dean Jones.

Brian Kevin Jones known as “Barney” Jones and was born in Brunswick and died on November 27, 2000 at the age of 65.

Barney won Carlton's Under 19's Best and Fairest in 1952 and was a long time Carlton Cricket player from 1954 to 1971 and father of Test player Dean Jones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sad news. 59 is far too young and he was a long way from home when it happened, just devastating for his family.

If I may...gentlemen, please get your physicals done regularly! There is a free heart check so make sure you look after yourselves, ok? You're important. Your health is important. Get onto it. https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/heart-health-education/heart-health-checks

I watched a few of his highlights on YouTube last night totally shocked at the news of his death.

I was quickly reminded of his batting prowess.

The hoik over mid wicket was a favourite. The smash down the ground was another favourite. The stretch to smash the wide ball to the point boundary. Deano had it all. And as Bill would say “He’s a Victorian!”.

RIP DM Jones. Gone too soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back