List Mgmt. Dean Kent - 3 year deal to St.Kilda for pick 65.

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not great list management to invest what has turned out to be pick 21 for a guy who is a decent rebounder but struggles 1 on 1.
That would be true if that's what we gave up for Logan, but it's not. We got Austin and Ports 2018 4th-rounder for our 2018 3rd-rounder.

So we downgraded our future 3rd to a 4th for him. So he cost less than a 3rd-rounder.

Could prove to be a very good value trade for us indeed if Spud and Playfair manage to help him find a better balance between his offensive and defensive games.

Happy to wait on Clavarino but if the VFL reserves were still in existence he would have played in them most weeks.
Saw most of his games and he has a long, long way to go.
I thought he got better as the season went on and will turn out to be a very good player for us

That would be true if that's what we gave up for Logan, but it's not. We got Austin and Ports 2018 4th-rounder for our 2018 3rd-rounder.

So we downgraded our future 3rd to a 4th for him. So he cost less than a 3rd-rounder.

Could prove to be a very good value trade for us indeed if Spud and Playfair manage to help him find a better balance between his offensive and defensive games.

Just out of interest why did we do Port a favour with the other trade because that one clearly makes no sense. maybe it was part of the Austin deal without being part of the Austin deal.

Well deserved no doubt.

Kent is a good get for a pick in the 60's, especially considering we have a couple more for anyone we actually like around that range.

3 years is a little excessive though.
Posted in Melbourne’s board what can the wiz Craig Jennings pull out of his ass during the prelim

Agree with the pick in the 60’s for Kent bit. Upgrade on Weller/Wright/Lonie

Just out of interest why did we do Port a favour with the other trade because that one clearly makes no sense. maybe it was part of the Austin deal without being part of the Austin deal.

Nope... Elshagh was interviewed on that deal and he said that we liked the idea of 2 picks instead of 1 im that area. And mentions getting somone in 12 months earlier...

I have no idea what he is talking about to be honest .. but it ended a bad trade partly because we sucked so badly this year which they probably did not anticipate

Nope... Elshagh was interviewed on that deal and he said that we liked the idea of 2 picks instead of 1 im that area. And mentions getting somone in 12 months earlier...

I have no idea what he is talking about to be honest .. but it ended a bad trade partly because we sucked so badly this year which they probably did not anticipate

The picks were so late though. Could be one of the silliest things we have done. Even if we’re ok it really doesn’t make much sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been reported that we won't even offer one of our 4th rounders for this Kent.

It'll be pick 75 or take him in the PSD.

Talk about a Kent move. I like it.
We're basically getting him for free at this point. I agree with other posters that 3 years is a little much but considering what we're trading to get him I'm happy to consider the 3rd year the actual trade cost as opposed to the pick and I can deal with that.

We're basically getting him for free at this point. I agree with other posters that 3 years is a little much but considering what we're trading to get him I'm happy to consider the 3rd year the actual trade cost as opposed to the pick and I can deal with that.
Given the supposed terms of the Hannebery deal I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Kent deal is pretty similar in structure.

3rd year dependent on playing a specified number of games in the preceding two years. Given his low profile I doubt the media would be investigating the contract arrangement to closely. May be clarified once the deal is done.

A year of Kent is worth a lot more to the club than all those years of Wright.

I thought he got better as the season went on and will turn out to be a very good player for us
Really?!
I hope you’re right but he looked stuffed to me at the end of the season. He just couldn’t find the footy and was struggling to get three and four kicks a game.

Been reported that we won't even offer one of our 4th rounders for this Kent.

It'll be pick 75 or take him in the PSD.

Talk about a Kent move. I like it.

Can easily walk him to the PSD.
In the PSD you can put a contract sum and term on your head. And I’m tipping fortunately that no other club would be willing to match our offer, so he comes to us.

Can easily walk him to the PSD.
In the PSD you can put a contract sum and term on your head. And I’m tipping fortunately that no other club would be willing to match our offer, so he comes to us.

I'm pretty sure they changed it so that they could also do that in the normal draft.
Way back before Luke Ball walked.

Really?!
I hope you’re right but he looked stuffed to me at the end of the season. He just couldn’t find the footy and was struggling to get three and four kicks a game.
Really ??? He was named in the best in Round 19

I'm pretty sure they changed it so that they could also do that in the normal draft.
Way back before Luke Ball walked.
Yeah but it's easier for us to do it in the PSD with only two clubs before us rather than running the extreme outside risk that one of the other 17 clubs might decide he's the best option left.

I have no idea what he is talking about to be honest ..
I would have thought it was pretty simple.

I dare say we knew that we were going to go tall with one of those last two picks, after identifying that as a need we needed to address over the coming year or two (especially down back, with Brown and Gilbo on their last legs, and with the big questionmarks they presumably had on Goddard and his body by that point), and with "talls" generally taking longer to develop than those who play midfield and so-on, they wanted that extra pick last year, so that they could indeed go tall with that pick, and get them into the club immediately, and start developing them.

With the plan being that they'd be ready to play senior footy for us a year or so earlier than if we hadn't gotten that extra pick last year, and had gone tall with our 2nd rounder this year instead.

If we'd had the sort of year this year that the club obviously backed themselves to have, it could have been a perfectly sound strategy, but obviously without a crystal ball it has backfired to a degree, as our 2nd this year has ended up much earlier than we anticipated, and where we got Clavarino last year.

I would have thought it was pretty simple.

I dare say we knew that we were going to go tall with one of those last two picks, after identifying that as a need we needed to address over the coming year or two (especially down back, with Brown and Gilbo on their last legs, and with the big questionmarks they presumably had on Goddard and his body by that point), and with "talls" generally taking longer to develop than those who play midfield and so-on, they wanted that extra pick last year, so that they could indeed go tall with that pick, and get them into the club immediately, and start developing them.

With the plan being that they'd be ready to play senior footy for us a year or so earlier than if we hadn't gotten that extra pick last year, and had gone tall with our 2nd rounder this year instead.

If we'd had the sort of year this year that the club obviously backed themselves to have, it could have been a perfectly sound strategy, but obviously without a crystal ball it has backfired to a degree, as our 2nd this year has ended up much earlier than we anticipated, and where we got Clavarino last year.

If you are right its all gone totally to plan. Clavarino was rated as one of the best defenders in last years draft ( if not the best ).
The picks we traded to get him were gone, it now makes no difference whether they are earlier or later , we got the player we would have wanted.
Personally i can't believe that there were enough good tall's in last years draft to make that trade targeting a particular type, and they would have been surprised that Clavarino was still available.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-17/the-plan-b-for-clubs-that-miss-out-on-jake-lever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back