Traded Dean Kent [traded to St Kilda for #65]

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve players around his talent level playing in a grand final.
Yep. He would have played finals with us if he didn't injure his shoulder in round 23.

A best 22 player at most teams just not a star

Kent can kick two goals in five minutes and then go missing for the next hour and a half. He's just that kind of player.

Do you think?
Why would he be requesting a trade if he's best 22...?
He had his first kid on Monday and his body has never held together. St Kilda have offered three years and decent coin, with the promise of midfield minutes, because they're desperate for guys with Kent's kind of personality. I'm sure the Dees offered an extension, but probably a year or two contingent on his body holding up. This way, he has a guaranteed income over the next few years - makes perfect sense and I wish him well.

I guess pick 57 (which will become 60~) will get it done, and we'll probably use that as part of a deal for Preuss.

But they're most often role players who are better at their role than a player like Kent.

Plus thats partially due to being down on numbers due to injury dont you think?

I reckon if Kent was given the right role and worked hard enough he could be a role player in a premiership team.

Whether the right role has been found and he’s just not working hard enough or vice versa I don’t really know.

Even if we had a fully fit side there would still be some role players around the talent level. I reckon a few are rated higher than they actually are due to the teams success.

Even our 2010 team I’d say Kent is more talented than Blair, Brown, Goldsack were and probably equal with Wellingham.

Kent can kick two goals in five minutes and then go missing for the next hour and a half. He's just that kind of player.
Will Hoskin-Elliott does that for us.

We’ve players around his talent level playing in a grand final.
Not sure you do. Stephenson, WHE and Josh Thomas all have more talent as half forwards. As does Sier in the midfield. Mayne I guess, but he's doing a role, same with Greenwood. Maybe Aish on a back flank isn't much chop, he might be 22nd picked this week.

Having the abilities - fitness, work rate, concentration - to do a role is a talent in my book. So I don't think it's fair to compare a shut down players skills and say they are worse than an attacking player. Kent would be similar to WHE or Josh Thomas and Thomas has neater skills and a better work rate, WHE has a bit more size and overhead ability.

It's not a huge gap to Kent, who has talent and needs a good run with injuries to get to full fitness, but I think there is a gap there.

Do you think?
Why would he be requesting a trade if he's best 22...?
His manager said it was the three year deal and chance to play midfield.

With his injury history Melbourne would be silly to offer him 3 years and he is not going to get midfield time at the Dees

We might have told him we'll play him in the midfield, but I reckon we say that about just about everyone we recruit or draft, and most don't end up playing there.

Savage for instance came across after playing plenty on the wing for Hawthorn and he started playing with us in the midfield, but only lasted a few games there, and since then has played pretty much exclusively back or forward.

Then we have others who train in the midfield group all preseason only to hardly see a minute of midfield time all year.

We may give him a crack on the wing, as we could do with more speed and run there, but if he doesn't succeed quickly he'll be back to playing forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure we’d like a pick in the 40s seeing our draft hand is not strong. But could see it being done for 57 to.

Also saints offering a decent contract so not sure where they value him.
The Dees ******* love draft upgrades. Could see a deal like 61 and 63 for Kent and 86 or something equally inconsequential.

He's worth **** all. You dont trade him, he'll go to PSD.

4th or 5th round token pick at best.

To which Carlton or Gold Coast would gladly snatch him up, so Melbourne have a little leverage.

3rd or 4th round pick.

Get rid of freeman for Kent? Ehhh righto

Kent has pace, can kick and tackle.

Also he's an ironman compared to Freeman.

To which Carlton or Gold Coast would gladly snatch him up, so Melbourne have a little leverage.

3rd or 4th round pick.
On a 3 year deal? Doubt it

Absolutely they would, a player that would slot into their best 22.
A fringe player who doesnt want to be there on a 3 year deal?

Doubt it

And what are you arguing? 3rd round? 4th round to me is a token pick so we're agreeing roughly anyway.

A fringe player who doesnt want to be there on a 3 year deal?

Doubt it

And what are you arguing? 3rd round? 4th round to me is a token pick so we're agreeing roughly anyway.

He'll soon come around when he's consistently playing at AFL level and in the midfield.

I disagree that 3rd round is a token pick, we've picked some key players in our list around that mark.

I'm also not saying we will get a 3rd round, I'm just saying Melbourne do have a smidgen of leverage given that Carlton and Gold Coast are both looking for mature ready made players and if all it costs is a list spot then they'd jump at it.

He'll soon come around when he's consistently playing at AFL level and in the midfield.

I disagree that 3rd round is a token pick, we've picked some key players in our list around that mark.

I'm also not saying we will get a 3rd round, I'm just saying Melbourne do have a smidgen of leverage given that Carlton and Gold Coast are both looking for mature ready made players and if all it costs is a list spot then they'd jump at it.
I never said 3rd was. I said 4th was and we roughly agreed on value because you think you may possibly luck a 3rd rounder and I say no chance.

a) PSD is virtually defunct
b) the opposing clubs need to actually show some interest in he
c) A trade is almost certain to be facilitated due to
i) Kent wanting more opportunities (can't blame the club, injuries have restricted him)
ii) Melbourne get to free up a list spot by a player willing to depart the club
iii) Melbourne can gain a draft advantage by packaging him up with a pick for something earlier

This trade is going to be one of the more interesting deals set to go through.

Melbourne hold picks 33, 43, 51, 81, 105 whilst St.Kilda hold picks 3, 57, 61, 63, 75, 93

Melbourne currently hold 5 live (senior list) spots whilst St.Kilda hold 6.

Feel it is a fairly straight forward deal going to be.

Melbourne get; Dean Kent
St.Kilda get; pick 57

Don't think it can get much easier really. Transaction should get done earlier in trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back