Scandal Dani Laidley Arrested - Leave the Tasteless Jokes at the Door When Entering

Remove this Banner Ad

What would happen (hypothetically) if Dean Laidley or one of his family members (like one of his kids) commits suicide over the photos being leaked by the Senior Constable ? You still don’t think he should be fire

Now no one is saying that the other examples of what the other people you have listed in your rant are right (although I see no real problem with the Vic Health Minister comparing the Coronavirus to Captain Cook arriving in Australia, from a certain point of view) but police officers (rightly or wrongly) need to be held to a higher standard of ethics and behaviour than the rest of us.

This case also affects members of the LGBT and Transgender community, who had been named and shamed for their lifestyle for decades.

Yes, I too am angry at the soft serve magistrates who are far too lenient on serious offenders like rapists etc, but what occurred here was a clear violation of civil/human rights, and hence why all the controversy and why VicPol is conducting its own investigation and review (for all we know, the idiot(s) involved May not lose their jobs)
Don't disagree with you, all I have been saying, is that the S/C made an absolutely horrendous error of judgement. No doubt. He sent the photo to a colleague or colleagues and then the Herald Sun got it and released it. Have they not also contributed to the violation of his civil and human rights? In fact I would argue they have been more negligent. The Age, to their credit had the photograph, and did not release it. There are no winners here. Laidley, his family, the S/C and his family. It all has gone to sh*t. Let's step back and see what can be salvaged and from this.

Just reading Mark Williams talking about a coaches retreat to ease stress on the senior coaches.
Is there really a link between the pressure of coaching and Laidley’s situation? I wouldn’t have thought so.
I can see bomber Thompson and Hird’s coaching days being linked to their off field problems because they battled the drugs saga in the public eye and ultimately lost jobs amongst other problems.
Obviously being a head coach would be stressful but let’s put it in to perspective. There are professionals who work in jobs who literally have peoples lifes in their own hands, people who go to war, and the everyday workers who stress about feeding kids and paying bills. I’m reluctant to say it’s just a game, but come on, i am finding it difficult to feel sorry for them.

Last edited:

The man who took the photo, will he ever work in the force again? Surely not.
I think a lot of officers understandably need a good sense of humour to deal with the day to day job, have a laugh in private big deal, but this was just plain wrong and wasn’t exactly funny.

Especially when photos of deceased police from the freeway crash were posted and outrage correctly came about that.

Especially when photos of deceased police from the freeway crash were posted and outrage correctly came about that.

RG0BS1U.gif

They can, but it doesn't mean they should.

Would be great if the AFL boycotted the Herald Sun in response. Not sure that's possible though. HS is trash.

So it’s ok for Big Footy, Twitter and other internet sites to have the photos getting around but if Herald Sun prints it’s bad.

They didn’t take the photo, they just showed a photo that a large section of the footy community had already seen.

What about all the people who rushed here or to Twitter to look at the pic, then got on their high horse about how awful it is. Modern hypocrisy at its best.

From a cursory google search- it appears a Dean Laidley has been working as a consultant for the DoJ-

If true- this brings a whole new level of intrigue to this story

Department of Justice and Regulation, Victoria, Australia
Learning and Development Consultant
Department of Justice and Regulation, Victoria, Australia
Feb 2016 – Present4 years 4 months
Australia
Consulting to a range of departments. Leadership, Management, Team Building, 360 profiling, cultural change.

Cultural change eh, Dean and Danielle would know a thing or two about that.

What is (hypothetically) the US (and worldwide) media decided to print/show the photos of Kobe and Gigi Bryant’s corpses after their tragic deaths.

I realise the situation is far from similar, but the basic point remains, some grubby sociopath/pscyophant would have gladly sold the tragedy of the deceased Bryant family’s last moments to the highest bidder, given the opportunity. Incredible as it sounds, USA media is a lot more respectful and stringent when it comes to these issues, I mean it took 24 years (or so) for graphic footage of the Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman murders (allegedly) by OJ Simpson to be viewed on the public domain.

USA media is more respectful? You mean the country that has Radar Online, TMZ and National Enquirer? They buy leaked/illegal photos, CCTV and info everyday.

If OJ happened now TMZ would 100% buy those photos from a cop.

If Dean Laidley equivalent happened in USA (Bill Belichick in drag) the exact same thing that happened here with the leak of a pic. The only difference is the cop would’ve got 200k from TMZ for it.

So it’s ok for Big Footy, Twitter and other internet sites to have the photos getting around but if Herald Sun prints it’s bad.
I think you've hit the nail on the head - the Herald-Sun is no better from a journalistic viewpoint than social media and online footy forums.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading Mark Williams talking about a coaches retreat to ease stress on the senior coaches.
Is there really a link between the pressure of coaching and Laidley’s situation? I wouldn’t have thought so.
I can see bomber Thompson and Hird’s coaching days being linked to their off field problems because they battled the drugs saga in the public eye and ultimately lost jobs amongst other problems.
Obviously being a head coach would be stressful but let’s put it in to perspective. There are professionals who work in jobs who literally have peoples lifes in their own hands, people who go to war, and the everyday workers who stress about feeding kids and paying bills. I’m reluctant to say it’s just a game, but come on, i am finding it difficult to feel sorry for them.
Yeah just rubbish and typical AFL speak for anyone who makes an ass of themselves. People lose their jobs all the time, some handle it, some don't. Some get help, others don't. Some get on with life, some don't.

But as usual, protect anyone in the AFL. It's tiresome listening to the s**t those in AFL land speak. Don't think about the s**t they've done to end up in jail, just excuses for the 'pressure'.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

It was an incredibly weak act from that police officer, and to know he felt comfortable distributing the image to other officers speaks a lot about the culture of the place.

Brent Harvey is giving him a character reference apparently (HUN)

When you don't apply for bail (as is the case wth Laidley) or it is denied, you stand accused of committing some pretty serious indictable offences. I'm staggered that when the story broke it only made reference to Laidley breaching an IVO and being accused of stalking. Yes breaching an IVO can be very serious but something alot more sinister has clearly happened but not currently being disclosed. I have no interest or comment on the photograph controversy, police ethics etc, that will be dealt with in due course. I do questions though why the photo has become THE story yet what Laidley stands accused of has been barely commented on??? Something rotten in the state of Denmark here..

When you don't apply for bail (as is the case wth Laidley) or it is denied, you stand accused of committing some pretty serious indictable offences. I'm staggered that when the story broke it only made reference to Laidley breaching an IVO and being accused of stalking. Yes breaching an IVO can be very serious but something alot more sinister has clearly happened but not currently being disclosed. I have no interest or comment on the photograph controversy, police ethics etc, that will be dealt with in due course. I do questions though why the photo has become THE story yet what Laidley stands accused of has been barely commented on??? Something rotten in the state of Denmark here..

The major issue and reason that he didn’t initially apply was that he was arrested for these latest issues whilst already on bail for other matters I believe. They have waited to gather further info and be able to stage a more compelling case for bail now...which the cops have greatly assisted with

Former AFL player and coach Dean Laidley wants to be bailed to a residential rehabilitation facility and says he is looking forward to getting the help he needs.

The ex-West Coast Eagles and North Melbourne player has been behind bars since May 2, when he was arrested over accusations he had been stalking a woman. Former teammates, coaches and club doctors have lined up with letters of reference for the 53-year-old, who is battling longstanding mental health issues.

Laidley is accused of stalking a woman, with whom he’s in a financial dispute over a property.

He phoned her 43 times on May 2, police told Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday.

It’s also alleged he contacted her body corporate asking for CCTV footage, which prosecutors argue was to stalk her.

Laidley’s barrister, Phil Dunn QC, said his client was fighting allegations he had been involved in aggressive confrontations with the woman at the apartment complex and suggested CCTV footage could be used as evidence that she was not telling the truth about their interactions.

He asked that Laidley be released into the care of a 24-hour residential rehabilitation clinic where he’ll receive treatment for longstanding issues including gender dysphoria and substance abuse.

Former AFL player and coach Dean Laidley has been granted bail amid furore over the leaking of photos of him in police custody.

The 53-year-old appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday after being remanded in custody on May 2.

Laidley is accused of stalking a woman, with whom he’s in a financial dispute over a property. He phoned her 43 times on May 2, police told Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday.

Former AFL coaches Mark Williams, Guy McKenna and Denis Pagan wrote references for Laidley, as did his former North Melbourne teammates Brent Harvey and Wayne Schwass and ex-club president James Brayshaw.

He will now be released to attend residential rehabilitation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back