Scandal Dani Laidley Arrested - Leave the Tasteless Jokes at the Door When Entering

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Did Laidley legally change his first name through BDM?

If he hasn't then those who are referring to the name 'Dean' (the very person who has had that name for the vast majority of their life so far) are morally sound.

The rest of you that keep trying to force corrections can swing the sjw flag elsewhere.

Post intolerant content - check

Complains about sjw - check

Some mention of morals - check

You win grumpy boomer bingo!

Seriously if someone wishes to be referred to by a certain name, is it that hard to respect their wishes? If anyone in your life has a preferred name do you use their official name instead to be a hero?

My opinion is Dean or Dani is fine if you are actually just having a proper discussion about the topic…but if you’re here to just troll and mock then you can leave.
This isn’t a thread about sexuality or people thoughts on how anyone should dress and what gender anyone has to be. It’s really no one business.

I’ve typed Dean a few times out of habit, but if I was with her in person or knew her personally I would have the respect to call her by her current name, Dani.
As I said, if you‘re just trolling or being a high and mighty goose about it no one cares, keep it to yourself.
Pretty bloody brave to front up at the club, big kudos. Well done to everyone mature enough to understand and accept.

Sainter1873

Senior List
Jul 1, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
My opinion is Dean or Dani is fine if you are actually just having a proper discussion about the topic…but if you’re here to just troll and mock then you can leave.
This isn’t a thread about sexuality or people thoughts on how anyone should dress and what gender anyone has to be. It’s really no one business.
How hard is it to write Dani? It’s just courtesy.
Did Laidley legally change his first name through BDM?

If he hasn't then those who are referring to the name 'Dean' (the very person who has had that name for the vast majority of their life so far) are morally sound.

The rest of you that keep trying to force corrections can swing the sjw flag elsewhere.
Haha what an embarrassing and weird post. Does it really offend you that her name is Dani? That she is a woman and just wants to live her life? Must be tough living in the 21st century where people can be themselves and (most) other ‘morally sound’ people respect that.

How hard is it to write Dani? It’s just courtesy.

Haha what an embarrassing and weird post. Does it really offend you that her name is Dani? That she is a woman and just wants to live her life? Must be tough living in the 21st century where people can be themselves and (most) other ‘morally sound’ people respect that.
It’s not hard for me at all, ‘Dean‘ slips out sometimes and I don’t beat myself up over it….I guarantee it happened to her 100 times at the club and she laughed and said ‘all good mate, it will come naturally in time’
We’ve all been here long enough to know Dan is being Dan and the more of a big issue you make the more he will dig his heels in for a fight 🤷‍♀️ Why give him what he wants? What's the point, you’re not gonna change people in a thread on the internet.

There’s been several people banned and infracted from this thread, anyone who keeps pushing the homophobic rubbish will get the same.
Dani has faced real horror since the disgusting so called police officers shared and mocked her private photos, I highly doubt she cares or wants a bunch of strangers arguing over s**t they know absolutely nothing about.
If people are trolling in here use the report button, I have no issue booting them.

ElectricG

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Post intolerant content - check

Complains about sjw - check

Some mention of morals - check

You win grumpy boomer bingo!

Seriously if someone wishes to be referred to by a certain name, is it that hard to respect their wishes? If anyone in your life has a preferred name do you use their official name instead to be a hero?
This is different to just a preferred name. It’s a woman’s name that comes with female pronouns. It’s not that it’s hard, it’s just that for some people to use the language which is demanded is to express views they don’t possess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it really offend you that her name is Dani?

No.

I'm just more custom to the previous name and the person in question being a man.

Change you're name, gender etc whatever....like wosh said it takes time to adjust.

The issue I really have is that some will stick to biology in how they view people. Each to their own but there is this passive sorta 'you have to submit to referring to this person my/our way' and if you don't you're a bigot or spreading hate speech.

Last edited:
there's passive sorta 'you have to submit to referring to this person my/our way' and if you don't you're a bigot or spreading hate speech.
I have seen people being very understanding of others getting used to their new identity.

But there are also plenty of people who flatly refuse to use the new name, pretending like it doesn't matter.

There's a great comedy bit with the comedian starting to introduce their bigoted cousin as a paedophile to prove words really do matter.

ElectricG

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have seen people being very understanding of others getting used to their new identity.

But there are also plenty of people who flatly refuse to use the new name, pretending like it doesn't matter.

There's a great comedy bit with the comedian starting to introduce their bigoted cousin as a paedophile to prove words really do matter.
Cool, I don’t think people refusing to comply with the language being demanded would pretend like it doesn’t matter. If it didn’t matter to them, they would just comply without a second thought.

No.

I'm just more custom to the previous name and the person in question being a man.

Change you're name, gender etc whatever....like wosh said it takes time to adjust.

The issue I really have is that some will stick to biology in how they view people. Each to their own but there is this passive sorta 'you have to submit to referring to this person my/our way' and if you don't you're a bigot or spreading hate speech.
I’m not enabling you, what I’m saying is that it was Dean Laidley who was arrested so there is some understanding in that context, but if you are digging your heels in and citing your expert thoughts on human biology as a reason to dismiss her transition then you’re just being obnoxious.
She is Dani Laidley now, wont kill you to accept it.

I’m not enabling you, what I’m saying is that it was Dean Laidley who was arrested so there is some understanding in that context, but if you are digging your heels in and citing your expert thoughts on human biology as a reason to dismiss her transition then you’re just being obnoxious.
She is Dani Laidley now, wont kill you to accept it.
I'm little bit more progressive than having all the eggs in the biology basket but some people (including me to an extent) view matters like this in the simplest of terms. ie- A man is a man & A women is a women.

and that's not being obnoxious.

You can't be a man for most of your life, get married, have children and then at 50 make the most drastic of changes a person can do. Now everyone has to conform to that persons gender pronouns and you even got others trying to enforce it in this thread.

I've met Dean/Dani in person couple times and I'd still have chat if I ever bump into em. Like nothing really changes in that sense....even if I'm not conforming to petty gender pronoun propaganda.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can't be a man for most of your life, get married, have children and then at 50 make the most drastic of changes a person can do. Now everyone has to conform to that persons gender pronouns and you even got others trying to enforce it in this thread.

Er, why not?

If I get a PhD people can start calling me Dr all of a sudden despite a lifetime of having Mr for a title.

Easy change, costs you nothing.

ElectricG

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Er, why not?

If I get a PhD people can start calling me Dr all of a sudden despite a lifetime of having Mr for a title.

Easy change, costs you nothing.
If you get a PhD it is your title, not your identity. Your former life could be spoken about without complication. Whether Dr is included or not, everyone knows what you’re talking about.
If you wanted to talk about Laidley’s professional career, you’re forced to either paint a picture of a woman playing football and coaching at the highest level in the men’s league. This did not happen. Or if you talk about Dean Laidley and His Career you are talking about a person who… ceases to exist?

It’s an “easy change that costs you nothing” if it doesn’t force you to express values you don’t hold. It would cost me nothing to change my language around topics like evolution and the age of the earth to placate fundamentalists Christians. But I don’t want to, so I won’t.

Back