Rumour Dean Laidley to Carlton as Director of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Icke is already General Manager of Football Operations, what exactly is this role meant to be?
they havent specified it yet, and i guess they will sort that out within the next couple of weeks..

but you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a fancy name attached to the position and that no other club will have one of these :thumbsu:

they havent specified it yet, and i guess they will sort that out within the next couple of weeks..

but you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a fancy name attached to the position and that no other club will have one of these :thumbsu:
Are we bringing back the peanut seller?

Shouldn't we know what the role is before we chase people to fill it? I'm all for adding talent where required, but this job - as it's presented - only undermines Icke's role, and I haven't heard a harsh word about his performance yet.

Are we bringing back the peanut seller?

Shouldn't we know what the role is before we chase people to fill it? I'm all for adding talent where required, but this job - as it's presented - only undermines Icke's role, and I haven't heard a harsh word about his performance yet.
what has been presented thus far AD?

nothing that im aware of or have i missed something

I really rate Laidley because I believe he got the best out of his team every week.

The reason his teams always got knocked out of the finals was because they didn't have another gear to goto, they were playing with finals desperation all season, bcause they had to (due to their sh!t list).

I think our young team needs to gain the consistancy that north played with over the last 5 years.

Todays Caroline Wilson article in the age states:

That was us - we're going to re offer him the role as Director of Coaching.

Initially (last year) during the large scale negotiations with North about his contract extension - he was on the cusp of signing with us.

Seems now that he is out of a job, our interest is still there.

Lock it in Eddie :thumbsu:

Agree this is highly likely if he doesn't score another senior coaching role. Very strong tactics and strategy which could be of real value to our coaching panel. :thumbsu:

director of coaching? what exactly would that role entail? Is that the equivalent of a "Sporting Director" you see at the major European football clubs?

And, yes another question, would that pose a conflict between Ratten and him over a number of issues when they don't see eye-to-eye?

Welcome Olrac.

Would it be like having a second head coach perhaps?

Both would be just as important as the other i would imagine.

The funny thing is that Laidley would probably get more money for doing this job at Carlton than what he was getting as head coach at the Roos...

Go for it boys... Laidley is a gun :thumbsu:

What people are proposing sounds very much like that

As long as Paul Roos in unavailable.

His strength (match-day strategy) seems to be our biggest weakness in the coaching box, so for mine it's a perfect fit; titles and allocation of responsibilities are just details.

Ratts would have to be the greatest clubman we have ever known to accept this or someone the greatest salesman ever to sell it to him. Laidley would have to be pretty much making the moves while Ratts concentrated on the Clearances (what he made his reputation on at Melbourne) then became the orator to speak to the team - pretty hard to do unless he and Laidley became like two peas in a pod

Roos and Longmire seem to be doing it and possibly Voss and Britain. I have worked with playing coaches in Metro comps and the only way that a duo will work is if you are incredibly close

director of coaching? what exactly would that role entail? Is that the equivalent of a "Sporting Director" you see at the major European football clubs?

And, yes another question, would that pose a conflict between Ratten and him over a number of issues when they don't see eye-to-eye?

I think we'll eventually need a Director of Directing.

Welcome Olrac.

Would it be like having a second head coach perhaps?

Both would be just as important as the other i would imagine.

The funny thing is that Laidley would probably get more money for doing this job at Carlton than what he was getting as head coach at the Roos...

Go for it boys... Laidley is a gun :thumbsu:

These Tassie jokes just keep coming. :rolleyes:

I think we'll eventually need a Director of Directing.

You seriously believe one Director of Directing will be enough?

Id say it would be like the "Director of Football" type role.

Dave Bassett described the role as:

" ..... a buffer. The director of football is answerable to the board but there to assist the manager. He's experienced in football and there to help the board members who don't have that experience."

I would imagine if Laidley was to take this role he would not just be a buffer between board and coach, but also to recuiters, scouts(of opposition tactics as well as recruiting scouts) and maybe even between the players and the coach if they have an issue which they feel they cannot bring up with the coach directly.

" ..... a buffer. The director of football is answerable to the board but there to assist the manager. He's experienced in football and there to help the board members who don't have that experience."
But that's exactly what Icke's job is. The football department reports to him, he reports to the board. You don't shove an extra layer of management in just for the sake of it. If all this "director" has to do is manage one guy (Icke), then there's no point to the position.

We need recruiters and development coaches much, much more than this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would Caroline Wilson know anyway. The amount of mistakes that come directly from her is just amazing. And yet she keeps her job at The Age. She potted Arocca overnight, yet he was on SEN this morning to completely refute her claims. Maybe she thinks that if she writes enough articles, that she'll get ut right every now and then.

Hang on, how do you know what she said was wrong?

Do you know Eugene personally?

Why take his side of the story over hers?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Caro lover, and I think her Judd Blood story was a waste of space (clearly a slow news day), but it seems quite clear to me you are taking one side of the story over the other, for no logical reason.

I don't know how many people would consider that Ratts (much as i will love him and support him for as long as he's our coach) is getting the absolute best out of the players at his disposal.

Laidley on the other hand once pulled his car over at the scene of a traffic accident and picked up a stone off the footpath and squeezed 3 litres of blood out of it to save a pedestrian's life.

We should absolutely get him on board if we can, in a role where he has input (not the final say, which should stay with Ratts) on tactics and match-ups etc.

Hang on, how do you know what she said was wrong?

Do you know Eugene personally?

Why take his side of the story over hers?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Caro lover, and I think her Judd Blood story was a waste of space (clearly a slow news day), but it seems quite clear to me you are taking one side of the story over the other, for no logical reason.

Why would Arocca ring up SEN and tell his side of the story, when the station did not make the first approach? She just got this story wrong - she said that Arocca wouldn't be at Laidleys house, yet he said that he didn't leave until about 2AM.

All she deals in is rumour-mongering and gossiping, and I have yet to read an article where I actually think he has any creditbility at all.

She completely lost me as kind of journo with substance when she kept going on about the Pagan/Mitchell feud a few years ago. She was a like a friggin' dog with a bone. IMO, she offers nothing to the footballing world, and the quicker The Age realise what a crap journo she is, the better.

Put the salary towards kids school programs rather than give it to Laidley Give 7-10 year old kids free blues jumpers with the number 5 on it at every clinic.
We can build the brand, future supporters and members, the money would be far better spent.
Say $400,000 to $500,000 K puts a lot of jumpers on a lot of kids.
Who cares if half of them end up getting used as rags.

Not being ignorant at all BG#4.

The role doesn't exist at any other club AFAIK, so it would be a new and innovative role.

My guess would be there would be a lot of work done during the week and pre-season in terms of tactics, maybe specifically for particular teams, and also maybe some briefings at the main breaks as to what is working ands what isn't.

The assistant coaches are focussed on their own areas and maybe don't see the bigger picture sometimes. I dare say it would be effectively another person looking through the eyes of a senior coach and putting the big picture together.

Not sure how it would work really, and how it would sit with Ratts, but I recall from last year that Ratts said Laidley was one of the best match day tactitions going around.......something like "he's the hardest to coach against on match day".

Maybe his role will be "senior tactition".:confused:

Would be a huge boost to get him on bord though. If anyone can find a way to get the best out of the players outside our best 10 it is Laidley.:thumbsu:

I like the sound of this.:thumbsu:

Why would Arocca ring up SEN and tell his side of the story, when the station did not make the first approach? She just got this story wrong - she said that Arocca wouldn't be at Laidleys house, yet he said that he didn't leave until about 2AM.

All she deals in is rumour-mongering and gossiping, and I have yet to read an article where I actually think he has any creditbility at all.

She completely lost me as kind of journo with substance when she kept going on about the Pagan/Mitchell feud a few years ago. She was a like a friggin' dog with a bone. IMO, she offers nothing to the footballing world, and the quicker The Age realise what a crap journo she is, the better.

Caro said "He (Eugene) was not expected at the Laidley household last night"

She didn't say he did not attend.

So I think it's fair to say she is trying to imply that there was an expectation he wouldn't attend, because of a rift.

If he went then that's great, but that only tells half the story.

There could well have been a rift nonetheless. But credit to both men if Eugene attended and Dean let him in :)

The club have made many comments about how 'respect' is a big wortd at Arden St, and how it was important a good farewell was given. So it stands to reason Eugene might have gone in the end, but that doesn't mean there was never a rift.

I'll take her assumptions over yours over that matter, because I dare say she knows dozens more people inside the real footy world than you.

Put the salary towards kids school programs rather than give it to Laidley Give 7-10 year old kids free blues jumpers with the number 5 on it at every clinic.
We can build the brand, future supporters and members, the money would be far better spent.
Say $400,000 to $500,000 K puts a lot of jumpers on a lot of kids.
Who cares if half of them end up getting used as rags.
What? No! Terrible attitude. I dare say bringing Laidley in and giving our players an extremely astute tactician and proven coach to learn from would produce on field results, which would in turn yield far greater return off the field than giving free jumpers out.

What? No! Terrible attitude. I dare say bringing Laidley in and giving our players an extremely astute tactician and proven coach to learn from would produce on field results, which would in turn yield far greater return off the field than giving free jumpers out.

Ratten has enough wise heads around him to learn from.
The team won't be in contention to play off in the big one until 2011 so him learning with the kids isn't such a bad thing.
His coaching has cost us a few of those close games frustratingly no doubt.
We differ on building the brand. The wins are starting to come anyway. Kids are impressionable - Once a kid hits 14 he or she doesn't change sides very often. Brand building is done young. Proven time and time again.

I'd imagine the workload for an AFL coach today would be enormous. "Ratts" would probably be working a 12 hour day, more often than not, and extra help in decision making/ planning/preparation/structure I suggest would be welcome. Obviously Ratts would need to be assured he could work with/under any individual, so whatever the job title might be it would be beneficial to the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back