Rumour Dean Laidley to Carlton as Director of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

It all depends I guess on Brett Ratten's ego, and whether he'd feel threatened or 'undermined' by having an former senior coach (still with senior coaching ambitions) there in the box with him.

maybe he can teach our useless lot how to get the ball out of the center.

We have been rubbish at our centre clearances in recent weeks although i can't see how Laidley can offer anything that Ratten, Williams, Riley, Judd and Bradley don't know already.

**Bump**

He's leaving Port to return to Melbourne.

Now is our chance to approach him again and get some genuine match day assistance for Ratts.

Doesn't Craig Bradley supposedly do the majority of the match day stuff?

Laidley would certainly be a great addition.

i doubt Dean Laidley will go to carlton.
most likely if there is any new people coming to carlton in the next year or so it will be either Paul Roos, Stephen Silvagni or leigh matthews!!!!!!! or has everyone forgotten about our assistant coach Robert Harvey and Mark Riley!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very astute man. I think he alot to offer in football. Would be a major coup for the footy club.

Pardon my ignorance, what exact role does the director of coaching play?
A coach of coaches to some degree. They have a big influence in the direction a team takes.

Something our team of coaches could really benefit from.

A coach of coaches to some degree. They have a big influence in the direction a team takes.

Something our team of coaches could really benefit from.
Where has this model worked though?
Didn't work for Parkin at Hawks, didn't work for Laidley at Port, Daniher is at WCE now.........not much joy there either.

The Pies are going to try and make it work, and it may in the same vein that Parkin and Brittain worked. Brittain worked under Parks for many years and it was a succession (arguable how successful it was), and likewise, Buckley has spent nearly his entire career under Malthouse and you would think their football philosophy is similar.

Parkin was on SEN earlier this week talking about it (they had raised the possiblility of Knights having one) and he said it failed for him at the Hawks because his thoughts on footy differed to much from those of the coach (?Schwabb) at the time.

He also said Ratten more than any player he had ever coached, was the one that stood out as being coach material in terms of his understanding of the game.

So, I wouldn't be against it, but we'd want to be very sure that it was a complimentary realtionship, and that Ratts didn't feel he know had someone looking over his shoulder waiting to take his job (as may have been the case with Laidley at Port).

Where has this model worked though?
Didn't work for Parkin at Hawks, didn't work for Laidley at Port, Daniher is at WCE now.........not much joy there either.

The Pies are going to try and make it work, and it may in the same vein that Parkin and Brittain worked. Brittain worked under Parks for many years and it was a succession (arguable how successful it was), and likewise, Buckley has spent nearly his entire career under Malthouse and you would think their football philosophy is similar.

Parkin was on SEN earlier this week talking about it (they had raised the possiblility of Knights having one) and he said it failed for him at the Hawks because his thoughts on footy differed to much from those of the coach (?Schwabb) at the time.

He also said Ratten more than any player he had ever coached, was the one that stood out as being coach material in terms of his understanding of the game.

So, I wouldn't be against it, but we'd want to be very sure that it was a complimentary realtionship, and that Ratts didn't feel he know had someone looking over his shoulder waiting to take his job (as may have been the case with Laidley at Port).

Yeah, the more I read and hear about it, the less I think of the idea. Ratten has his game plan, he has a close relationship with Sticks and a majority of his coaching staff who he's played with, and I think the coaching direction would be very much based on that.

What could an outsider in Laidley offer if he were to come? Would it be a second guessing of Ratts' decisions? I think Laidley has as much coaching credential as Ratts anyway, so all I see is conflict - god knows it'd s**t me having someone over my shoulder telling me how I should be doing something. It all smacks of that dude brought in to solve Metallica's relationship issues in Some Kind of Monster.

Anyway, given how successful he's been in such a short coaching career, I see no reason to provide Ratts with training wheels. He's obviously prepared to try new things and he doesn't strike me as being so belligerent as not to listen to common sense around him, nor too proud to seek advice from the Parkins and Matthews of the world.

Not sure one way or another with Laidley. One guy I would love on the coaching panel in some capacity though is Crocker. Well respected at North by all reports and also a quality bloke. Once again something we need desperatly at Carlton - ie; Solid individuals with strong character.

Not sure if a "director of coaching" is required or not, but what is sure is that Laidley would be the perfect guy for the job. Laidley did not enjoy his time at North because he did not like all of the crap that goes with being a senior coach. He hated the media and marketing stuff, but loved the "science of footy". Laidley having no ambitions to be senior coach again, would work well at Carlton. To make this happen, I would think the board would need to make a strong commitment to Ratten (say a new 3 year deal) to equip him with the confidence and support that he would need in this new environment. They would also need to very clearly define roles for Laidley and Ratten in a way that was acceptable for both. I really feel that Ratten is very open and honest about himself and he would welcome the support that Laidley has to offer. I also believe that if you have the opportunity to bring a rare talent into your place of work, you should get them, regardless if there is a position there or not. Under strong management structures, smart people find ways to make themselves very useful and Laidley will do that.

Powerpoint presentation :D

Brett Montgomery joins race for Port Adelaide coaching job

BRETT Montgomery is a wildcard in the race for the Port Adelaide coaching job, with the hit-list now believed to be down to six.

The Carlton assistant coach was interviewed by Power football boss Peter Rohde and a head-hunter in Melbourne this week.

Rohde was impressed enough with the initial discussions to request Montgomery travel to Adelaide next week for another interview, including a full presentation.

Brett Montgomery joins race for Port Adelaide coaching job

Maybe this has something to do with Laidley being "supposedly" heading to the Blues.

Straight swap ....... Montgomery for Laidley :D

Not sure one way or another with Laidley. One guy I would love on the coaching panel in some capacity though is Crocker. Well respected at North by all reports and also a quality bloke. Once again something we need desperatly at Carlton - ie; Solid individuals with strong character.

You saying we have none?

Would be delighted if it happened, but reckon it's unlikely if it didn't happen last year. We've been light-weight tactically in some big games this year - eg. Hawks, Failurewood, and the Swans games in particular. Some new input would be great. Would be a pretty hard job stepping into an established group and offering advice though.

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back