Mega Thread Dean Robinson's Interview [full interview in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

And so we have a new leader.
In a very hotly contested event, the current clubhouse leader for the stupidest poster of the thread so far.
Your in denial and thats OK, one day you will come to accept your hero is not who you think he is.

Like a typical Lance Armstrong supporter you will cling onto Hird until he is slandered, banned & thrown out of the competition and even then you still might hang onto your faint hope that your hero would never do such a thing.

Just ask yourself why Robinson & Dank would go after Hird and tell ASADA he is taking illegal substances and when you come to accept that ask yourself why in the world does Hird need to dope as a coach?

Eventually you will accept it

No one of the panel let alone Darcy were going to categorically say that they believed The Weapon. Anything less than neutral views would have them black banned by Essendon for any interviews other than those they may have to do. They may not have been able to stop the interview (didn't try) but they can ensure that they do 7 no favours.
Bombers fans using Darcy's demeanour to imply Robinson's lack of credibility are clutching at straws.

EFC likes the way you go about it :thumbsu: On the plus side, Hird feels better that you believe him. Years of being manipulated by the tears of your significant others obviously didn't affect your bias understanding of the interview at all.

See what I did there? Goose.

Awwwww, you guys are quality. Maybe I should start having a cry and you'd believe whatever I said too. You go ahead and believe Robinson. Employees who are stood down are sure to tell the truth about their previous places of employment. Being paid for the interview should have increased his truthfulness also.

and yes, you're very original.

Not always. ;)

I also noticed he hardly mentioned Bomber, but has had good words still to say about him. Makes me wonder who else his lawyers have interviewed - Bomber, or maybe Hamilton?

Robinson was definite about the Corcoran threat. Who was in the room with them when that was made. Robinson didn't mention anyone, but a sacking like that always has someone else from the company as a witness. It was another statement made by Robinson that might have legal implications if he can't back them up.
Funny you mention Bomber, I've been asking for months where Bomber is/was in all of this! He is becoming conspicuous by his absence! + yes there would have been witnesses, but one thing, Robinson wasn't sacked, he was suspended on full pay and resigned last Friday, so he could begin legal proceedings.

Another area, which puzzles me - while he was responsible for the department, budget etc, I'm uncertain just how involved he was in the injected supplement programme. It appears, according to him, and he's not the only one with an axe to grind, it was Danks and Hird who were running the programme. The other thing, which I find iffy, the injections McVeigh said he had off-site - Vit B and C. Apparently that was for hygiene reasons - gyms are dirty! So are hospitals! Gyms don't spread golden staph, hospitals do, but they still give injections in hospital! lol

I think EFC are in a far stickier situation when it comes to making statements, which have legal implications. It just seems to me it is Hird who keeps changing his story! I don't have any feelings one way or the other about any of them. It's just a sh*t fight for each person's survival!

Maybe they put on too much weight too quickly because of the commitment to an intense and experimental supplement program? Robinson has built his career around strength and conditioning, has a such a string of soft tissue injuries in athletes under his care occurred before?

Whilst Robinson has no doubt used supplements in his programs before, it is possible that he had never combined his weight programs with such a variety of substances and at such intense levels. A bit simplistic to apportion sole responsibility on Robinson when Dank and Hird were pushing the supplement program so strongly.

The players at EFC were younger (than Geelong). You don't get big just from taking supplements. Robinson was in charge of the weights, you know, the actual reason the players got big.

The players at EFC were younger (than Geelong). You don't get big just from taking supplements. Robinson was in charge of the weights, you know, the actual reason the players got big.

Just saying that it might have been a bit difficult to gauge the effect of the weights in such a pharmacologically experimental/erotic environment.

He certainly changed his tune when he originally claimed he was only injected with vitamin c & vitamin b for a cold.

McVeigh admitted to having off-site injections, but said these were to ensure a sterile environment.
He added they were for vitamins B and C.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/former-essendon-player-mark-mcveigh-launches-attack-on-those-lying-about-bombers-doping-probe/story-e6frf3e3-1226572094386#ixzz2ahujCPeq

McVeigh said he was 100 per cent comfortable with the supplement treatment and insisted the vitamin booster injections were simply to help lift immunity and energy levels.​
"We were taken off-site into a sterile environment (because) footy clubs sometimes can be not that clean - filthy, absolutely filthy," he said.​
"So we were taken into a sterile environment and the only injections that I ever had was a vitamin C or vitamin B injection, which would be at the time I had a little baby girl.​
"I wasn't getting much sleep. I was run down. I had a bit of a cold.​
"I had a vitamin C injection. It is not uncommon. Natural vitamins they are.​
"That's all they were, nothing any more sinister than that."​

Still didnt lie

No one of the panel let alone Darcy were going to categorically say that they believed The Weapon. Anything less than neutral views would have them black banned by Essendon for any interviews other than those they may have to do. They may not have been able to stop the interview (didn't try) but they can ensure that they do 7 no favours.
Bombers fans using Darcy's demeanour to imply Robinson's lack of credibility are clutching at straws.

Robinson has no credibility due only to himself. It's not his fault, the guy is clearly in a very, very bad place at the moment. He's mentally ill at the moment, it was absolutely clear last night. And so is his closest confidante and support.

He clearly suffering from some major issues at the moment - he broke down multiple times on camera talking of suicide. Some of the things he was saying was simply rambling about something which has completely ruined him. He's clearly trying desperately to find any way possible out of his own head at the moment, and Luke Darcy was his personal tour guide. Not to mention his poor wife, who is barely able to support herself let alone offer any sort of shoulder for him (apparently she's been hospitalised twice recently for weeks at a time).

The blokes in a shocking state and has been taken advantage of disgracefully by Channel 7, who treated him like a circus freak act. Dangle something in front of the desperate mans face, "a chance to tell his story", as well as a good sum of money in what is a very difficult time financially.

But they don't want his story, they want the juiciest, most scandalous stuff possible, and that's what they led him into and what they aired.

It was a digraceful act by Channel 7 who would have known upon talking to him what a fragile, vulnerable person they were dealing with. He couldn't even finish his ASADA evidence. Of course 7 pushed on regardless, pimping out the tortured soul for profit.

Hopefully he can get himself back together as soon as possible. Anyone trying desperately to cling onto something he said last night is kidding themselves. Seriously, look at the bloke with a critical eye - he's not well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny you mention Bomber, I've been asking for months where Bomber is/was in all of this! He is becoming conspicuous by his absence! + yes there would have been witnesses, but one thing, Robinson wasn't sacked, he was suspended on full pay and resigned last Friday, so he could begin legal proceedings.

Another area, which puzzles me - while he was responsible for the department, budget etc, I'm uncertain just how involved he was in the injected supplement programme. It appears, according to him, and he's not the only one with an axe to grind, it was Danks and Hird who were running the programme. The other thing, which I find iffy, the injections McVeigh said he had off-site - Vit B and C. Apparently that was for hygiene reasons - gyms are dirty! So are hospitals! Gyms don't spread golden staph, hospitals do, but they still give injections in hospital! lol

I think EFC are in a far stickier situation when it comes to making statements, which have legal implications. It just seems to me it is Hird who keeps changing his story! I don't have any feelings one way or the other about any of them. It's just a sh*t fight for each person's survival!

Sorry, not sacked, put under suspension. And also, Corcoran made the treat in September. Go a bit mixed up with that one. But still, I would be interested to know who the witness was to that. Robinson made what I thought were several lawyered up, pointed accusations.

I don't know about McVeigh saying he didn't want to get injected at the club. It was clean enough for James, wasn't it? :D

apologies if prev posted, been working on a tender all day.

Behind the ongoing drugs saga at AFL club Essendon is a daily game between footy reporters and the spinners trying to shape the story. Crikey investigates the leading players.
essendon.jpg
As Dean “the weapon” Robinson’s paid interview with commentator Luke Darcy went to air on the Seven Network last night, senior journos from the world’s most over-analysed professional football code were busy hammering their keyboards to fill today’s papers with rivers of ball-tearing reportage.​
In the billion-dollar AFL media bubble rimmed by huge egos, hero worship and beer ads, what gets written on the Essendon supplements scandal matters to a majority of Melburnians. But the coverage of the drama, reliant mostly on leaks from vested interests and “off-the-record” briefings, has led many readers to seriously doubt the sports media’s role as an impartial umpire.
The media orgy in the six months since Bombers coach James Hird and former chairman David Evans “dobbed themselves in” to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has split into two camps: an anti-Hird brigade centred on veteran Age football writer Caroline Wilson and Australian commentator Patrick Smith; and a pro-Hird Herald Sun scribe Mark “Robbo” Robinson and his merry band of Southbank scribes on the other.

Robbo has been keen to blame the fracas on dubious “sports scientist” Steve Dank and fitness buff Robinson to build a firewall around Windy Hill’s crown jewels. At The Oz, Smith has reported on multiple occasions that Hird “decided” to stand down before the round three game against Fremantle until ASADA’s investigation was complete, but later “changed his mind”. However, the Hird camp says he’s never put the claims to the coach himself.

He hasn’t been alone in his attacks. In April, Wilson brazenly called for Hird to sack himself. The problem, insiders say, is that all three reporters have hardly been shy about their views in comment pieces and myriad TV appearances.

In a neat symmetry, Essendon’s internal war pitting Evans against Hird has been bookended by spinners wedded to opposite sides of politics.

Liberal Party operative Ian Hanke and (until she quit this week) Essential Media Communications director Liz Lukin have been hard at work protecting their patch and backgrounding heavily against their enemies — in other words, doing their jobs. Last week’s breakdown in the Hird/Evans relationship generated by Hanke and reported by Robinson laid the fissure bare: the Labor and union-linked Lukin had been on the side of Evans and the club, with arch-conservative Hanke rolling out every trick in the book to protect Hird.

Hanke managed to gift Robinson two Herald Sun splashes in successive days reporting differing accounts of a call placed by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou to Evans on February 4. Robinson reported Hird was present at the meeting and that an Essendon “source” (Hird, according to Wilson) had told him Demetriou had tipped off Evans that the club was being targeted by the Australian Crime Commission. Demetriou had been briefed the previous week by the ACC and had signed a confidentiality clause — disclosing the detail of ACC briefings is a criminal offence.

That was followed up on Monday — again on the Hun’s front page —  by exclusive letters leaked from the Hird camp slamming Demetriou for allegedly revealing details of the ASADA investigation publicly. Hanke, who confirmed to Crikey the strategy was his, was effectively calling Demetriou and Evans liars on the front page of Australia’s highest circulation daily newspaper. Evans stood down after suffering a “physical breakdown” after Friday night’s loss to Hawthorn.

Despite only meeting once on an ABC Radio spin-doctors’ segment, Lukin and Hanke’s relationship stretches to the 1998 waterfront dispute, where Lukin was spinning for the Maritime Union of Australia and Hanke was working for then-industrial relations minister Peter Reith. They butted heads again during the 2004 WorkChoices barney, where Lukin advised the Australian Council of Trade Unions as Hanke spun for workplace relations minister Kevin Andrews (on one occasion producing a memorable list of ALP national conference delegates and explaining their links to the labour movement).
Lukin, unlike Hanke, has experience in footy, representing the West Coast Eagles during the Ben Cousins ice saga, and representing former AFL commissioner Wayne Jackson and for AFL Players Association chief Matt Finnis during bitter enterprise bargaining negotiations in 2011.

And then there’s the hulking media team working for the AFL headed by hard arse communications tsar Patrick Keane. Their job is to protect the boss and, critics say, send anti-Hird stories to whoever will take them.
“It’s not enough to just muddy the waters. If you’re going to poke that bear, you better not go to a gunfight carrying a spoon.”​
Lawyers also loom large: Ashurst partner Steven Amendola is acting for Hird, who famously featured in a 2001 Ross Coulthart Sunday profile as a key anti-union adviser in the O’Connor meatworks dispute. Amendola was drafted in by Reith after a meeting with O’Connor management in an attempt to smash the meatworkers union. Lukin, as it happens, was spinning for the union.
And after Evans’s shock resignation, the Bombers quickly tapped ex-Toll Holdings millionaire boss Paul Little, whose former firm is not exactly a fan of the labour movement either.

A source close to Lukin says the divide between Hanke’s “hard and tough” Hird firewall and Lukin’s “softly softly” stance aimed at preserving club unity and maintaining a relationship with Demetriou is a false dichotomy and fundamentally misreads the terrain. “After you put on the ‘let’s attack Andrew Demetriou’ line and call him a liar,” they said, “what would be your next strategic step after that?

“There’s not a winner and loser in this, Essendon can’t take their bat and ball and play in another league. So it’s all very well to say ‘let’s put James Hird before the interests of the whole club’ but you have to actually have a strategy. It’s not enough to just muddy the waters. If you’re going to poke that bear, you better not go to a gunfight carrying a spoon.”

And, of course, it is Demetriou who may end up sitting in judgement on the Bombers’ future on the AFL Commission, notwithstanding the raft of court cases that are sure to follow the expected release of ASADA’s report into the club next week.
There has also been concern about the amount of material, mostly text messages, sourced directly from Dank and reported as exclusives. Crikey understands Dank speaks regularly to Robinson, the ABC’s Gerard Whateley, The Age’s Nick McKenzie, ABC reporter Caro Meldrum-Hanna and Channel Nine’s Danny Weidler. This week 7.30 ran a full item based around Dank’s texts.
McKenzie and reporting partner Richard Baker have taken their cues from sources scattered across the spectrum, producing a raft of exclusives related to the supposedly secret ASADA probe, including yesterday’s splash reporting on documents seized from Bombers HQ.

But the sports journos — who also produce regular comment pieces and go on TV shows that make their biases crystal clear — have let rip. Wilson in particular has an eye for a scalp and isn’t afraid to ratchet up the rhetoric if she thinks the situation demands it. Readers need only revisit her cracking and comprehensive 1991 Sunday Age takedown of Piers Akerman to see how poisonous her pen can become.

It’s worth recalling how the drugs scandal came about. In December and January lots of people in the football world talking about the impact of illicit substances in sport and the police were busy backgrounding journalists. Collingwood chief Garry Pert had come out at the end of November, calling recreational drugs the AFL’s “biggest problem”. The league called a drugs summit for the end of January and the air was thick with intrigue.

On February 5, the day after the Demetriou call, the Bombers held a conference to offer the club up to ASADA. Hird professed shock that he was sitting in the conference, believing he had done nothing wrong. Lukin was called in to assist after Evans had received multiple calls from journalists including Crocmedia operative and Footy Show sleuth Damian Barrett. Barrett had interviewed delisted Bombers forward Kyle Reimers, who claimed the club’s 2012 supplements program was skirting “close to the edge”.

The next day Crikey revealed that Stephen Dank had visited doctors and pharmacists at the centre of the dispute, and the day after that the ACC held a blockbuster press conference in Canberra with the chiefs of all major professional sports, producing reams of “darkest day” headlines.

Fast forward to April 11, when Wilson called for Hird to step down, outlining the divide between Evans and Hird. The next day, April 12, came a front-page exclusive by Robinson under the headline “I was jabbed”, reporting Hird thought he was injected but only with legal amino acids. It came just four days before Hird was scheduled to meet with ASADA to give his side of the story.
On May 1 another pro-Hird Herald Sun story emerged claiming the club was duped by a fake letter from the World Anti-Doping Authority brandished by Dank stating that the regulator had ticked off on the controversial anti-obesity drug at the centre of the scandal, AOD 9604. Then, on May 6, Ziggy Switkowski handed his internal report into the club, detailing a “pharmacologically experimental environment”.

Ten weeks later, on July 17, Wilson —  citing “sources close to the joint investigation by ASADA and the AFL into Essendon” — splashed with allegations that “the AFL warned James Hird in late 2011 to not involve his players in a peptides program”. Hird, wrote Wilson, “faces a lengthy suspension from the game for his key role in instigating the experimental drug program”.
Hird was irate and Essendon released a statement later that day slamming the yarn as factually incorrect and complaining Hird couldn’t respond before ASADA’s investigation was complete. Cue the run of aggressive Hun front pages planted by Hanke, Evans’ and Lukin’s resignations, Little’s appointment and Robinson’s blockbuster interview. Whatever ASADA dishes up next week, the Bombers, the league and the journalists are unlikely to emerge with clean hands.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/08/01...-saga-the-games-journos-spinners-are-playing/

mods feel free to flush if it's been posted

Still didnt lie
I said he "changed his tune". Originally he said he received only vitamin s c & b. Last night he admitted to other supplements. Changed his tune again last night after claiming his ASADA interview left "disturbed"
Excerpt..
In revelations that pour serious doubt on Essendon's ability to escape sanction, the former Bomber admitted he was disturbed by what drug investigators had told him during a four-hour ASADA grilling this week.

"There are things that you hear in this interview that you know nothing about and you've never heard before and they are quite alarming,'' McVeigh said.

"When I say alarming, I mean things that people may have done who are no longer at the club that no one knew about.

"You think about your family, you think about your health and it's quite serious.''

McVeigh, speaking on SEN radio, admitted he was left "furious'' by some revelations, but said he still believed the players had done nothing wrong.

"I don't think we did anything untoward ... but there is a huge doubt and there were things going on that James Hird, the doctors at the club and the players had no idea about," he said.

"I'm not just talking about being injected with an illegal substance; I'm talking about if you had given blood where that was going and if you were given a substance and it's not checked off properly.

"I've said all the way along that I was told things were ASADA and WADA approved. If I was given a supplement it was seen that was what it was, but there was some suggestion in my interview that it was not what it was."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/asada-grilling-shakes-mark-mcveigh-as-the-former-essendon-player-is-interviewed-by-officials/story-e6frf3e3-1226660603845#ixzz2ai8EMUXC

The last night he was very "assured" it was all above board. Waxes and wanes does old Spike.
As I posted quotes from him dated February. That he only took vitamins, why would he be "disturbed"? Now last night there were "supplements"

Awwwww, you guys are quality. Maybe I should start having a cry and you'd believe whatever I said too. You go ahead and believe Robinson. Employees who are stood down are sure to tell the truth about their previous places of employment. Being paid for the interview should have increased his truthfulness also.

and yes, you're very original.
Nah, you are absolute quality. How about, tears coming from the realisation that all has gone to s**t for him and its highly likely that golden boy will escape with a pissy suspension and then he's back in the chair. How about, an ex employee spilling the beans because he now has nothing lose? How about, getting paid for an interview and credibility are not related and any suggestion of it is a desperate attempt to discredit.

The blokes in a shocking state and has been taken advantage of disgracefully by Channel 7, who treated him like a circus freak act. Dangle something in front of the desperate mans face, "a chance to tell his story", as well as a good sum of money in what is a very difficult time financially.

But they don't want his story, they want the juiciest, most scandalous stuff possible, and that's what they led him into and what they aired.

It was a digraceful act by Channel 7 who would have known upon talking to him what a fragile, vulnerable person they were dealing with. He couldn't even finish his ASADA evidence. Of course 7 pushed on regardless, pimping out the tortured soul for profit.

Hopefully he can get himself back together as soon as possible. Anyone trying desperately to cling onto something he said last night is kidding themselves. Seriously, look at the bloke with a critical eye - he's not well.

I don't agree that he has no credibility - and it wa interesting to hear more Geelong character witness work today from Mooney on SEN - but absolutely agree about 7. They didn't want to actually criticise Hird, but they wanted maximum exposure too, and they completely wallowed in the most personal aspects of the story while ignoring any potential for genuine information to be revealed.

Nah, you are absolute quality. How about, tears coming from the realisation that all has gone to s**t for him and its highly likely that golden boy will escape with a pissy suspension and then he's back in the chair. How about, an ex employee spilling the beans because he now has nothing lose? How about, getting paid for an interview and credibility are not related and any suggestion of it is a desperate attempt to discredit.

What did Robinson spill that was that absolute piece of evidence that will see Hird stood down?

I don't agree that he has no credibility - and it wa interesting to hear more Geelong character witness work today from Mooney on SEN - but absolutely agree about 7. They didn't want to actually criticise Hird, but they wanted maximum exposure too, and they completely wallowed in the most personal aspects of the story while ignoring any potential for genuine information to be revealed.

I think you'll find no genuine information was revealed. Except that Dank had a fridge in his office.

I said he "changed his tune". Originally he said he received only vitamin s c & b. Last night he admitted to other supplements. Changed his tune again last night after claiming his ASADA interview left "disturbed"
Excerpt..
In revelations that pour serious doubt on Essendon's ability to escape sanction, the former Bomber admitted he was disturbed by what drug investigators had told him during a four-hour ASADA grilling this week.

"There are things that you hear in this interview that you know nothing about and you've never heard before and they are quite alarming,'' McVeigh said.

"When I say alarming, I mean things that people may have done who are no longer at the club that no one knew about.

"You think about your family, you think about your health and it's quite serious.''

McVeigh, speaking on SEN radio, admitted he was left "furious'' by some revelations, but said he still believed the players had done nothing wrong.

"I don't think we did anything untoward ... but there is a huge doubt and there were things going on that James Hird, the doctors at the club and the players had no idea about," he said.

"I'm not just talking about being injected with an illegal substance; I'm talking about if you had given blood where that was going and if you were given a substance and it's not checked off properly.

"I've said all the way along that I was told things were ASADA and WADA approved. If I was given a supplement it was seen that was what it was, but there was some suggestion in my interview that it was not what it was."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/asada-grilling-shakes-mark-mcveigh-as-the-former-essendon-player-is-interviewed-by-officials/story-e6frf3e3-1226660603845#ixzz2ai8EMUXC

The last night he was very "assured" it was all above board. Waxes and wanes does old Spike.
As I posted quotes from him dated February. That he only took vitamins, why would he be "disturbed"? Now last night there were "supplements"

Disturbed now because ASADA would have told him Dank gave players substances without telling the players what it was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back