Past Dean 'The Difference' Towers - delisted 2018. COMING SOON - The Festival of Deano

Remove this Banner Ad

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
So I've been talking Deano up lately. Some have responded in a negative fashion. Now, he's to old for a bandwagon, but I'm on the posse backing that bandwagon up. Who's with me..yeahh haa!

Towers will get it together.

Looked very dangerous in the slop pit of an Qfinal vs. Freo

Can't make that up

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it.

Has the athleticism to be a really dangerous wing/half-forward, but doesn't get near it when the match is on.

Right now I'm considering his last few games of last year to be a flash in the pan, but I'll be glad if I'm proven wrong.

Nigh certainly is the time Deano!

I thought Towers showed better signs towards the end of last season and I'm hoping there will be further improvement into this season. He certainly has a good set of attributes that could make him a valuable member of the best 22 but needs to step up another notch or two and we need that given the genuine vacancies/holes in the best 22.

Was hoping that the news from the intra club gave wraps to guys like BJ & Towers but unfortunately not. The only ray of light was that Hewett shone. Come on Deano, step up!

Nigh certainly is the time Deano!

I thought Towers showed better signs towards the end of last season and I'm hoping there will be further improvement into this season. He certainly has a good set of attributes that could make him a valuable member of the best 22 but needs to step up another notch or two and we need that given the genuine vacancies/holes in the best 22.

Was hoping that the news from the intra club gave wraps to guys like BJ & Towers but unfortunately not. The only ray of light was that Hewett shone. Come on Deano, step up!
I was impressed with BJ. He has a swagger about him - a little like Heeney. I predict 2016 is his breakout year.

In fact Heeney, Rose, Towers and BJ all looked good. Maybe we have a forward line after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals changed my perceptions about him. I hope the coaches commit to playing him for say the first 6 games.

Sorry but I've never been a fan of Towers and nothing has changed despite his good finals performances. He'll be 26 in a few months and should have shown more to this date (yes I'm aware that he was a mature recruit). For me he's not hungry enough, makes poor decisions under pressure and his disposal isn't great. I would love to be proven wrong however.

I've always had major concerns about his ability and hunger to win the contested ball. I know that isn't really his role but God help us if he finds himself in a 50/50 on the wing with the game in the balance ala Mattner in the 2012 GF.

I wondered if anyone else uses that moment as a reference point for players and how they attack the ball/man. I do it all the time. "If player X was suddenly thrust into Marty Mattner's boots when Shane Savage out-marked Lewis Jetta in the back 50 and directed the ball out to Grant Birchall with a line of Hawks lining up to take the lead in the final minutes of the GF, how would he do?"

After running from defence completely unmanned into the forward 50 only to be ignored, he has to not drop his head, turn on a dime and react to where Savage is kicking to, locate Birchall, make up about 10-15m of headstart, box Birchall in so he has no room between him and the boundary, stick the ball and all tackle, get up before Birchall does, retrieve the ball and then ensure the ball goes out so that numbers can get to the ball and it doesn't get forward to the waiting Hawks.

One of the most underrated passages of play from a Swan in recent memory.

I wondered if anyone else uses that moment as a reference point for players and how they attack the ball/man. I do it all the time. "If player X was suddenly thrust into Marty Mattner's boots when Shane Savage out-marked Lewis Jetta in the back 50 and directed the ball out to Grant Birchall with a line of Hawks lining up to take the lead in the final minutes of the GF, how would he do?"

After running from defence completely unmanned into the forward 50 only to be ignored, he has to not drop his head, turn on a dime and react to where Savage is kicking to, locate Birchall, make up about 10-15m of headstart, box Birchall in so he has no room between him and the boundary, stick the ball and all tackle, get up before Birchall does, retrieve the ball and then ensure the ball goes out so that numbers can get to the ball and it doesn't get forward to the waiting Hawks.

One of the most underrated passages of play from a Swan in recent memory.
Now I have to re-watch the 2012 GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back