Analysis Dear Ed...it's come to this

Remove this Banner Ad

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
G'day Ed. To be honest I never thought it would come to this.

We're in a fine mess.

The football club(that's the men's senior 18 - our raison detre, if you like) is puddling around in mediocrity.

It needs to be fixed.

I know you say you have it all in hand. You're running a review or two or three and everything is going to be fine and dandy. So you tell us.

The trouble is Ed, I don't know if I believe you anymore and that hurts me to say it. Sure, we owe you big time for effectively saving the club and then eventually delivering a premiership.

But nobody, not even Jock McHale is owed a lifetime debt of gratitude.

Everybody runs out of ideas. Everybody gets comfortable when they've sat in the one place too often.

You like to trumpet how big we are but it's wearing a bit thin, because, in reality we aren't what we were. Not off field and definitely not on field.

I don't know whether big changes are needed, or whether there's some minor tweaking required. I assume that the people conducting the reviews are doing so in good faith and have Collingwood's best interest at heart. I understand that the competition is skewed to even the playing field and I'm a patient guy. I've worn the past 4 years with relative patience and have supported the club's initiatives by and large.

I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater and sometimes I can see that we're close, but close is no longer good enough.

WIth that in mind I urge you to take on the full recommendations of the club review.

If that review says keep the coach do so and move heaven, earth and the FD spending allowance to give him every possible support and have the guts to tie your future to his.

If it says it's time for Nathan to move on, you need to put your hand up and admit that you stuffed up, not so much in the appointment of Nathan, but the management and support of him. Only you know whether that lack of support demands your resignation.

You say you love Collingwood ED and I believe that you do.

You're not the only one who does.

Side by side and all that

mark

We're in a fine mess.

The football club(that's the men's senior 18 - our raison detre, if you like) is puddling around in mediocrity.

It needs to be fixed.

I know you say you have it all in hand. You're running a review or two or three and everything is going to be fine and dandy. So you tell us.

The trouble is Ed, I don't know if I believe you anymore and that hurts me to say it. Sure, we owe you big time for effectively saving the club and then eventually delivering a premiership.

Everybody runs out of ideas. Everybody gets comfortable when they've sat in the one place too often.

You like to trumpet how big we are but it's wearing a bit thin, because, in reality we aren't what we were. Not off field and definitely not on field.

I don't know whether big changes are needed, or whether there's some minor tweaking required. I assume that the people conducting the reviews are doing so in good faith and have Collingwood's best interest at heart. I understand that the competition is skewed to even the playing field and I'm a patient guy. I've worn the past 4 years with relative patience and have supported the club's initiatives by and large.

I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater and sometimes I can see that we're close, but close is no longer good enough.

WIth that in mind I urge you to take on the full recommendations of the club review.

If that review says keep the coach do so and move heaven, earth and the FD spending allowance to give him every possible support and have the guts to tie your future to his.

If it says it's time for Nathan to move on, you need to put your hand up and admit that you stuffed up, not so much in the appointment of Nathan, but the management and support of him. Only you know whether that lack of support demands your resignation.

mark

Exactly and well put. Because whilst coaches, CEOs, Board Members etc are servants of the club, the supporters are the guardians of the club.

First step

CEO - Pies need to go and get Simon Lethlean, great operator and was ******* stupid how he got the sack.
Coach - Goodbye Bucks, I would be approaching Black Caracella and having Sanderson as the 2nd in charge.
Clean out - Harvey, Burns and anybody else who was with Buckley over the past couple of years.
Fitness coach - Daveron needs to go with a new coach needs a fresh start.
Ruck Coach - Rocca is not a ruck coach happy to keep him at the club in some capacity, I would be approaching Hudson to come back, Ivan Maric possibly.

Playing list
Delist/Trade - Seir, Blair, Smith, Oxley, White, Keefe.
Sidebottom love him but we need some picks, I would be happy to trade for a future first getting a couple picks in the first round for next year could be huge, this allows DeGoey to get more midfield minutes.

Captain
Never been big on Pendles as captain, Adams becomes skipper with Howe the VC.

Recruiting
Hine out and have a crack at Graham Wright if we don't succeed promote Rendall.

That's my 2cents on what the club can do moving forward.

We're in a fine mess.

It needs to be fixed.

mark
Looking forward to Ed's reply...

You lost me at "not even Jock McHale is owed a lifetime debt of gratitude."

Unbelievable legacy undoubtedly, but I fear that his shadow hung over the club for far too long. Poor choice of words on my part. What I was getting at was that no-one, no matter what their contribution is bigger than the club

First step

CEO - Pies need to go and get Simon Lethlean, great operator and was ******* stupid how he got the sack.
Coach - Goodbye Bucks, I would be approaching Black Caracella and having Sanderson as the 2nd in charge.
Clean out - Harvey, Burns and anybody else who was with Buckley over the past couple of years.
Ruck Coach - Rocca is not a ruck coach happy to keep him at the club in some capacity, I would be approaching Hudson to come back, Ivan Maric possibly.
NOt the dumbest idea I've read...not by a long way.

Very very highly rated, played a couple years at Collingwood, won't be exactly a big shock to the system joining the Pies, Sando I think would make a great number 2 helping the new junior coach.

Has played in winning teams, assistant at a few clubs now Geelong being a very successful team over a long period, he also supported Collingwood as a kid which is a fun fact.

I can just see Ed planning out the big exclusive announcement in his head.

"And today we're announcing what is a real coup for the Collingwood Football Club - former Collingwood superstar , Richmond assistant coach........nah"

Starts again...........

Tongue in cheek (he is a 2 time premiership player) but I just can't see Ed delivering that announcement to replace one of the club's greats. I do rate him too btw.

Unbelievable legacy undoubtedly, but I fear that his shadow hung over the club for far too long. Poor choice of words on my part. What I was getting at was that no-one, no matter what their contribution is bigger than the club
A bit off the point, but would be interested to hear why you think his shadow hung over the club for far too long? Do you mean how the club functioned past his death?

As an aside, I agree with most of your opening post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very hard to put a rookie in charge at the Pies due to the attentions and pressure. I think we have to have someone who has coached at AFL level.

Whilst I like the opening post's intent I think it is pointless, Eddie just does not care about the members, its his club these days and he drives his agenda. He will no doubt try and feed the chooks with a members forum or some other BS (like the survey re netball and the womans team, after the event) but he will not change direction one little bit. And that is why he needs to go and that term limits should be introduced to ensure this never happens again.

Would not be happy if you took Caracella from us as he has been great with us.

But he deserves his chance. He barracked for Collingwood as a kid aswell as being a player so who knows if that gives it a bit of romance.

You might like this football philosophy.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-04-21/direct-ball-movement-a-key-to-start-caracella

We made Balme available for you, why can't we have Caracella?

these bits sound good (almost enticing) from Caracella:

"We're not going sideways as much and our ball movement is probably fairly exciting now than last year.

"We don't turn the ball over as much (because) I think last year we turned the ball over a lot in our back half and got scored against.

Sidebottom love him but we need some picks, I would be happy to trade for a future first
doubt that we'd get a first rounder for Sidey. He's very very good but not elite. Not if we were being honest with ourselves.
He's not the type who can single-handedly change the playing fortunes of a club. That's what you'd give up a first rounder for (let's exclude Cam Wood from this discussion)
Reality is that if we want a first we'd have to give up Sidey plus someone else with strong potential eg Berg. Not sure that'd be worth it.

We made Balme available for you, why can't we have Caracella?

these bits sound good (almost enticing) from Caracella:

"We're not going sideways as much and our ball movement is probably fairly exciting now than last year.

"We don't turn the ball over as much (because) I think last year we turned the ball over a lot in our back half and got scored against.

Balme just makes up for the duds you sent us in the eighties.

A bit off the point, but would be interested to hear why you think his shadow hung over the club for far too long? Do you mean how the club functioned past his death?

As an aside, I agree with most of your opening post.

I just reckon we held on to the old ways too long. The whole Tuddenham/ Thomson pay dispute is a case in point. All water well under the bridge now

First step

Playing list
Delist/Trade - Seir, Blair, Smith, Oxley, White, Keefe.
Sidebottom love him but we need some picks, I would be happy to trade for a future first getting a couple picks in the first round for next year could be huge, this allows DeGoey to get more midfield minutes.

Captain
Never been big on Pendles as captain, Adams becomes skipper with Howe the VC.

Recruiting
Hine out and have a crack at Graham Wright if we don't succeed promote Rendall.

That's my 2cents on what the club can do moving forward.
I've heard of joint captains but Simon Black and Blake Carcella as joint coach is a novel idea :p

doubt that we'd get a first rounder for Sidey. He's very very good but not elite. Not if we were being honest with ourselves.
He's not the type who can single-handedly change the playing fortunes of a club. That's what you'd give up a first rounder for (let's exclude Cam Wood from this discussion)
Reality is that if we want a first we'd have to give up Sidey plus someone else with strong potential eg Berg. Not sure that'd be worth it.
Steele Sidebottom is a good to strong B + player.
As you say not elite.

But he is an elite runner. Watch any game of his and he runs up and down like nobody else.

So there is that, plus in big games, he has played very very well.

Oh and Dermie rates him super high. Just throwing in that last bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back