Dear Essendon...

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
....thank you for last Saturday, I enjoyed it immensely, I'll just add that this was the second time that we have beaten THAT team this season, it's been a while. Some ask why I hate THAT team so much well there are 3 reasons. 1. I'm old enough to relate stories of vic park. 2. mcguire 3. My wife follows them. So once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, my beautiful boys in red and black.

My soon-to-be-wife is a Pies supporter.

I have been keeping it in check the past two days but considering how much they have owned us in the time we've been together, I ain't gonna lie, the temptation to be a completely ungracious prick of a winner is growing by the hour.

So far it's been restricted to my incredulity at how just how godawful their disposal is. "God damn it must be hard being one of their supporters and watching that s**t!" (followed by a long look dripping with fake sincerity)

I wish my wife understood footy. I asked her to name a player once, she mixed "Crameri" with "Daniher" and "Herb"....

"Cramiherb"
sounds delicious!

How many here are lucky enough to have a partner that loves the Bombers...me:):):):):)
it's just sad that some people's spouses/partners don't love them enough to switch teams like my wife did when we got married.

it's just sad that some people's spouses/partners don't love them enough to switch teams like my wife did when we got married.
Mine was born and bred...which makes visits to the in laws pretty good (but I might have just derailed this thread). My dad was in this boat...and mum changed to Essendon for him...and the trade off was us kids had to be catholic haha.

My Missus is a North fan, which is nice, as eventually she will get to see them every second week when they relocate to Tassie. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish my wife understood footy. I asked her to name a player once, she mixed "Crameri" with "Daniher" and "Herb"....

"Cramiherb"
that's awesome.

I must say, one of my great life joys at the moment is how much of a little Essendon fanatic my 5 year old boy is turning into. He is MENTAL about the club, and it warms the kakkles of my heart so, so, so much.

And one of my favourite parts is the names we have for the players. His brother is Zac so Zachy has always been a favourite, and I have photos of my boy with Zach and his other two favourites Walla and Big Joe.

Earlier this year when James Stewart was lining up in a flash of inspiration I said "it's Big Jim", and his face lit up, "Big Jim?!!". And now we have Big Tom as well. Big Joe, Big Jim and Big Tom.

On the weekend he goes "Dad, I saw Dice the other day and I was going to call him Heppell!". So I explained how both were perfectly fine.

My new absolute favourite though is his new fling: Zarkarakis. It cracks me up every time when he yells out for Zarkarakis.

He's a little Bomber fanatic, it's best

Partner is Scottish and didn't have a team when we met. She has been in the country 6 years and this is her 5th year as a member. Worst time ever to be introduced to the club but she is a committed bomber! I think it just made her support grow stronger. Her father now claims to be Aberdeens only bombers fan. Gets up at 5am for the live streams.
Also, I am now a Heart of Midlothean fan. Give and take.

Mrs is Geelong. She came with me to the Geelong, Eagles and Port games this year. I was beginning to think I would need to hurry up and convert her to a full Essendon supporter due to her obviously being a good luck charm. She didn't come on Saturday so I've got my work cut out for me to convert her now.

My ex wife changed from Carlton to Essendon before we married. She still watches Essendon games and loves the Bombers. My two girls are absolutely dyed in the wool bombers fans to the extent that the older one asked "why don't the commentators want us to win?" when we were watching the swans match the other night. I try to tone down my parochial viewpoint in front of the girls but I suppose it must come through. I reckon I deserve a free scarf or something from the club for my successful evangelical efforts.

Mine is a die-hard Colliwoods/Buckley type... I've copped it hard fellas over Hirdy, ASAGA and most recently Melbourne/Brisbane etc...

It's beautiful how its tracking now as its almost like the Campainers are taking the Pi-double-5 to themselves and i risk no danger, food rationing or lockouts by "saying things i shouldn't"

Last edited:
My missus is passionate Saints, which makes Friday night a very interesting one in our relationship...

My wife is Port through and through, a Port Magpies girl for as long as she can remember. Watching the Port v Essendon game was interesting. She spent the first 15 or so minutes almost yelling at me telling me I should've gone to a mates place or the pub or something to watch it. I wasn't even giving her s**t. She then went and sooked it up in the bedroom before going to bed early in the 2nd quarter.

that's awesome.

I must say, one of my great life joys at the moment is how much of a little Essendon fanatic my 5 year old boy is turning into. He is MENTAL about the club, and it warms the kakkles of my heart so, so, so much.

And one of my favourite parts is the names we have for the players. His brother is Zac so Zachy has always been a favourite, and I have photos of my boy with Zach and his other two favourites Walla and Big Joe.

Earlier this year when James Stewart was lining up in a flash of inspiration I said "it's Big Jim", and his face lit up, "Big Jim?!!". And now we have Big Tom as well. Big Joe, Big Jim and Big Tom.

On the weekend he goes "Dad, I saw Dice the other day and I was going to call him Heppell!". So I explained how both were perfectly fine.

My new absolute favourite though is his new fling: Zarkarakis. It cracks me up every time when he yells out for Zarkarakis.

He's a little Bomber fanatic, it's best
My 10 yr old is Essendon but only on a token level in that he will ask me what the result was or where we are on the ladder and he rarely wants to have a kick. My 5 yr old, however, has begun to show interest in the players (especially Big Joe - having his footy card helped) and having a kick of the footy. Very different levels of interest but at least they both support the red n black.

My wife is Port through and through, a Port Magpies girl for as long as she can remember. Watching the Port v Essendon game was interesting. She spent the first 15 or so minutes almost yelling at me telling me I should've gone to a mates place or the pub or something to watch it. I wasn't even giving her s**t. She then went and sooked it up in the bedroom before going to bed early in the 2nd quarter.
you must have been sticking it to her in that 15 minutes :D

My 10 yr old is Essendon but only on a token level in that he will ask me what the result was or where we are on the ladder and he rarely wants to have a kick. My 5 yr old, however, has begun to show interest in the players (especially Big Joe - having his footy card helped) and having a kick of the footy. Very different levels of interest but at least they both support the red n black.
I took my boy to the Brissie game and one of the things we were most looking forward to was his first ever kick of the footy on the ground!

It all went so horribly wrong.

Firstly, as is often the case with kids, getting out the door is a nightmare, and by the time you've packed all the snacks, rustled them into their clothes, sent them to the toilet etc; you inevitably are rushing for that train. And it wasn't until my wife dropped us off and drove off I realised we'd forgotten the ******* footy.

Boy was inconsolable when I told him. He didn't think we'd be allowed on the ground without a footy and he didn't want to go on there without a footy. Ok mate, I said, I'll fix this. So, hit the merch stand outside the ground and picked up what was admittedly a pretty sweet full size Sherrin (we didn't previously have a full size one) for $30 less 10% membership discount.

Alright, things are looking up! $27, not budgeted for, but I just won't drink and at least the boy's happy!

Half time, things are looking dire after a shocking 2nd quarter, and my will to not drink goes out the window. Stay here mate, and I'll get a drink. Come back with two.

Then, sure enough, my worst fears are realised in the last, and we lose. Instead of being able to slink off I am forced to sit there listening to the song, watching the Lions celebrate. I honestly thought this was one time I could be almost guaranteed a nice relaxed happy kick to kick!

But then the second siren goes and out we go, in the throng. And it was awesome. We both had a blast. He kicked a goal on the ground, we had a good kick to kick, and we left. And because of that I was happy and not anything like as shattered as I would have been if I had have slunk out, and I've set a good example around losing gracefully.

Kids are awesome, and kids make footy way more awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back