Dear Lord ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear God, Buddha, Allah or any other higher being who wants to listen to my prayers,

I prayed my heart out before the 1970 Grand Final yet had to endure the most horrific pain of sitting on my fathers shoulders at the G watching the arch enemy storm over the top of my beloved Pies after being in front by 44 points at half time. Upon reflection I realise you
may have taught me the virtue of patience.

In 1977, I prayed even harder. You taught me about loss when you took Fabulous Phil off us and then teased me by making me sit through a draw before a heart wrenching failure the following week. I ended in tears at the G. This lesson of loss that you gave me stayed with me forever.

In 1979, you took me to the brink bringing us within 5 points of that evil entity. Again I ended in tears and the lesson that was clearly given that day was one of forgiveness. It was clear that the ball was out of bounds and I had to reach deep inside me to forgive that boundary ump and Harmes for cheating. Still to this day I have not been able to hold out the olive branch.

In 1980, I was taught empathy and to feel for others. I experienced humiliation that day and what it was like that to be down trodden as Bartlett and his evil men destroyed us.

It was 1981 when you served me with a lesson on humility. During the 3rd I proudly screamed to all around me at the G as Choco slotted a goal that ‘we cannot lose.’
You brought the rains and the pain of that day still is etched deep in my heart as Satan and his band of demons tore us apart in the last.

After letting me breathe for a few years you finally rewarded my faith by giving me the greatest day of my life in 1990. Allowing your son to play on the HFF and in the guts during that time was a great advantage so thank you. The curse had been lifted, the drought was over and faith had been restored to the universe.

Dark days followed and you sadly took one of our finest and we paid for years. My heart still breaks for a lost friend.

But .....You hadn’t quite finished your lessons yet and in 02 and 03 you brought me back to Earth enforcing that it was not only boundary umpires who were incompetent but also goal umpires and tribunals. Again forgiveness was needed but I was fast running out of patience. I began examining what had I done wrong to be punished like this.

2010, was firstly about temperance as we kicked ourselves out of victory and then about redemption the following week. As Swanny banged one Home in the 3rd the world turned black and White and the distant memories of 1990 came flooding back. All the pain was taken from me and I awoke to the dawning of a glorious new magpie era.

2011 and thud, the dynasty was over. I admit I may have been cocky, arrogant, self indulgent and shown both gluttony and greed in my desire for more and my dismissive attitude towards the lesser opposition. I had forgotten all you had taught me. You punished me hard.

And so we come to 2018 and I have spent the last 7 years in the wilderness learning and reflecting and paying my penance for my sins. I am a good man, a good husband and a good father so please Lord let me experience the glory one more time like you let me in 1990 and 2010.

There is a band of evil coming across the border and with them comes the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse bringing death, famine, war and conquest. Lord, do not let evil prevail and let my mighty Pies rule the G like they have 15 times before. Lord, I pray with all I have. Deliver me one more flag, take away the pain and let the world turn black and white even for just one day. I have heeded your lessons well now reward me for my faith. On Saturday, we will bleed black and white. Bleed with us, oh lord.

Amen

Go Pies!!!!

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I'm going with Vishnu the Maintainer.

Maintain our intensity, our dominance and our place at the head of the football table.

Dear God, Buddha, Allah or any other higher being who wants to listen to my prayers,

I prayed my heart out before the 1970 Grand Final yet had to endure the most horrific pain of sitting at the G watching the arch enemy storm over the top of my beloved Pies after being in front by 44 points at half time. Upon reflection I realise you

In 1977, I prayed even harder. You taught me about loss when you took Fabulous Phil off us and then teased me by making me sit through a draw before a heart wrenching failure the following year. I ended in tears at the G. This lesson is loss that you gave me stayed with me forever.

In 1979, you took me to the brink bringing us within 5 points of that evil entity. Again I ended in tears and the lesson that was clearly given that day was one of forgiveness. It was clear that the ball was out of bounds and I had to reach deep inside me to forgive that boundary ump and Harmes for cheating. Still to this day I have not been able to hold out the olive branch.

In 1980, I was taught empathy and to feel for others. I experienced humiliation that day and what it was like that to be down trodden as Bartlett and his evil men destroyed us.

It was 1981 when you served me with a lesson on humility. During the 3rd I proudly screamed to all around me at the G as Choco slotted a goal that ‘we cannot lose.’
You brought the rains and the pain of that day still is etched deep in my heart as Satan and his band of demons tore us apart in the last.

After letting me breathe for a few years you finally rewarded my faith by giving me the greatest day of my life in 1990. Allowing your son to play on the HFF and in the guts during that time was a great advantage so thank you. The curse had been lifted, the drought was over and faith had been restored to the universe.

But .....You hadn’t quite finished your lessons yet and in 02 and 03 you brought me back to Earth enforcing that it was not only boundary umpires who were incompetent but also goal umpires and tribunals. Again forgiveness was needed but I was fast running out of patience. I began examining what had I done wrong to be punished like this.

2010, was firstly about temperance as we kicked ourselves out of victory and then about redemption the following week. As Swanny banged one Home in the 3rd the world turned black and the distant memories of 1990 came flooding back. All the pain was taken from me and I awoke to the dawning of a glorious new magpie era.

2011 and thud, the dynasty was over. I admit I may have been cocky, arrogant, self indulgent and shown both gluttony and greed in my desire for more and my dismissive attitude towards the lesser opposition. I had forgotten all you had taught me. You punished me hard.

And so we come to 2018 and I have spent the last 7 years in the wilderness learning and reflecting and paying my penance for my sins. I am a good man, a good husband and a good father so please Lord let me experience the glory one more time like you let me in 1990 and 2010.

There is a band of evil coming across the border and with them comes the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse bringing death, famine, war and conquest. Lord, do not let evil prevail and let my mighty Pies rule the G like they have 15 times before. Lord, I pray with all I have. Deliver me one more flag, take away the pain and let the world turn black and white even for just one day. I have heeded your lessons well now reward be for my faith. On Saturday, we will bleed black and white. Bleed with us, oh lord.

Amen

Go Pies!!!!

Amen indeed, I've shared the ride back to the anguish 0f '64 and the heartbreak of '66. My neighbour's fence took a pounding in 70 and I was at the G in '77 as Twiggy dobbed a saving goal in a game I thought was won - 22 points up at 3/4 time. There is no statute of limitations for Wayne Harmes and I just wanted to smash Bartlett in '80. Rocca was robbed in '02. Shaw, Didak and Maxwell are indelibly imprinted from '10. Today I'm calm and reflective - I can see the cup, shining brightly, beckoning the faithful and vanquishing the tired and impotent demons from the past. Collingwood is about to embrace a new age.

Amen indeed, I've shared the ride back to the anguish 0f '64 and the heartbreak of '66. My neighbour's fence took a pounding in 70 and I was at the G in '77 as Twiggy dobbed a saving goal in a game I thought was won - 22 points up at 3/4 time. There is no statute of limitations for Wayne Harmes and I just wanted to smash Bartlett in '80. Rocca was robbed in '02. Shaw, Didak and Maxwell are indelibly imprinted from '10. Today I'm calm and reflective - I can see the cup, shining brightly, beckoning the faithful and vanquishing the tired and impotent demons from the past. Collingwood is about to embrace a new age.

Amen Amen Amen. Someone who has endured even more pain then me. May our faith be rewarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football is coming home.

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Football's coming home

Everyone seems to know the score,
They've seen it all before,
They just know,
They're so sure,

Collingwood's gonna throw it away,
Gonna blow it away,
But know they can play,
'Cause I remember

Magpie on a shirt,
Pendlebury is leading,
Eight long years of hurt,
Never stopped us dreaming.

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Football's coming home

So many jokes, so many sneers,
But all those oh-so-nears,
Wear you down,
Through the years,

I still see that smother by Heath Shaw,
Left us wanting more,
And now Malthouse is gone,
Bucks will carry us home

With a
Magpie on a shirt,
The MCG is heaving,
Never stopped us dreaming

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Football's coming home

27 points up-I was there too! Oh the pain we have endured.

My mistake, feeling the effects from the tinnies I had to consume so that I could stand a bit higher.

Beautiful OP. i could have written that but not so elegantly. I could add listening to 64 & 66 on Dad's transistor radio but its just more of the same. Younger posters may find it hard to believe that Melbourne and Saints had actually won flags

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Football's coming home

Everyone seems to know the score,
They've seen it all before,
They just know,
They're so sure,

Collingwood's gonna throw it away,
Gonna blow it away,
But know they can play,
'Cause I remember

Magpie on a shirt,
Pendlebury is leading,
Never stopped us dreaming.

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Football's coming home

So many jokes, so many sneers,
But all those oh-so-nears,
Wear you down,
Through the years,

I still see that smother by Heath Shaw,
Left us wanting more,
And now Malthouse is gone,
Bucks will carry us home

With a
Magpie on a shirt,
The MCG is heaving,
Never stopped us dreaming

It's coming home,
It's coming home,
It's coming,
Football's coming home

Love it

Beautiful OP. i could have written that but not so elegantly. I could add listening to 64 & 66 on Dad's transistor radio but its just more of the same. Younger posters may find it hard to believe that Melbourne and Saints had actually won flags

Cheers mate. So true. Luckily I was spared the pain of 64 and 66.

27 points up-I was there too! Oh the pain we have endured.
Should have won it. Next week was worse. Only recompense for myself and a couple of brothers was Delvene Delaney sat immediately behind us for the match out in the seats with the public. Needless to say when Collingwood scored we jumped and turned around to salute the Collingwoood bretheren behind us.

I don't believe in Gods (well except Huey) but I have this feeling like my grandfather had in '58. Our boys are going to play well on Saturday.:)

I prayed my heart out before the 1970 Grand Final yet had to endure the most horrific pain of sitting on my fathers shoulders at the G watching the arch enemy storm over the top of my beloved Pies after being in front by 44 points at half time. Upon reflection I realise you

In 1977, I prayed even harder. You taught me about loss when you took Fabulous Phil off us and then teased me by making me sit through a draw before a heart wrenching failure the following week. I ended in tears at the G. This lesson of loss that you gave me stayed with me forever.

Dark days followed and you sadly took one of our finest and we paid for years. My heart still breaks for a lost friend.

2010, was firstly about temperance as we kicked ourselves out of victory and then about redemption the following week. As Swanny banged one Home in the 3rd the world turned black and White and the distant memories of 1990 came flooding back. All the pain was taken from me and I awoke to the dawning of a glorious new magpie era.

There is a band of evil coming across the border and with them comes the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse bringing death, famine, war and conquest. Lord, do not let evil prevail and let my mighty Pies rule the G like they have 15 times before. Lord, I pray with all I have. Deliver me one more flag, take away the pain and let the world turn black and white even for just one day. I have heeded your lessons well now reward me for my faith. On Saturday, we will bleed black and white. Bleed with us, oh lord.

Amen

Go Pies!!!!
Well written, and amen to that...although I will be summoning the Jedi masters to get us across the line..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back