Pets Death of a pet

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thought there was a thread around the place on this but couldn't find one.

So I put my dog down a few hours ago .... pretty devo. I had to rush home this afternoon after a frantic call because the poor thing was not well. She had a few problems and we were considering putting her down as soon we and the vet thought she was in pain, but it's all happened pretty quick. 15 years with her has just ended and it feels pretty crap. Never put a pet down before but this has hit me like a ton of bricks.

Share your stories if you like - but one question I do have is about my other younger dog. She has been constantly looking inside and outside the house for her and can't seem to sit still - worried she's going to get worse. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they handled it!? :thumbsu: Cheers

Commiserations mate, first thing that I thought of was Jurassic Bark :(
Haven't lost a pet for a long time, our cat is only 5 so probably has a while to go.
Remember when I was 21 and we lost our family dog, he was 14 years old. I used to sit out in the backyard and pat him whenever I was having a bad time and he would just lay there at my feet listening to me blubbering.
I feel for your other dog, hopefully he doesn't pine too much.

I'm sorry to hear you had to endure the same thing I had to go through. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Hang in there mate. It may be a massive cliche, but truth be told time is the best remedy to healing the emotional wounds.

I had to put down my first dog 4-5 years ago now. It feels like an eternity has past since, and yet even typing this now it almost brings a tear to my eye remembering her - Sasha, my 12 year old Rottweiler. The gentlest, most loving dog with a crazy personality; so crazy she used to chase shadows and she even ate a whole wheel of Brie cheese (seriously! :D) way before Anchorman made it a famous quote.

I'm sure you'll agree with me in your own circumstance when I say that my dog wasn't just a pet, she was part of the family; like a sibling I grew up with from my early childhood, experiencing the most important years in my transition from child to teenager. She was my best mate.

Time may heal wounds, but it will never fully erase the memories I have of her. And it's those you'll come to cherish with your own dog, and I hope during your mourning that you can confide in those happy memories and take solace in knowing that you shared happy moments together and had an impact on each others lives.

During her final year over a short period of time she was starting to favour one of her hind legs over the other, and had trouble going up and down the back step. It was then we found a lump on her hind leg. I felt so helpless, as if I thought there was something I could do to make her better - wishing, hoping - only to question why things were the way they were. But with her beginning to be in pain, I knew the inevitable was the only option.

I remember the last night we shared together, fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday. She slept with me on my bed, cuddled up next to me, sharing a packet of chips. Knowing what was around the corner when the sun rose, I silently wished morning would never come and that time could just stand still so I could spend one more moment with her...

I can't explain how lonely and lost I was without her in the days, weeks, and months that followed. I just couldn't get used to not seeing her wagging her tail, as she sat at the back door. I can honestly say I have never been as heartbroken as I was during that period.

About 6-12 months later when my parents brought up the topic of getting another dog, I instantly became angry as I thought there is no way another dog could replace Sasha. I gave it some further thought, and realised how selfish I sounded. Getting another dog wasn't replacing her, it was just a form of moving on, and for me that was the only way I could do so, and something I needed to do.

From there we adopted a 3 year old chocolate Labrador named Buddy from a family who were moving overseas. We found her on a website advertising dogs 'free to a good home', and as fate would have it she was the very first dog that popped up on the webpage and we instantly fell in love with her. It was at this moment I began to believe that things in life happen for a reason, which may sound silly to some, but in doing so I started to accept the loss of Sasha and know she would be at peace if she somehow knew I was moving on.

When we lost Sasha, I thought i'd never love another dog like her, but I was proven wrong with Buddy. She is a ball of energy, with the funniest personality and I absolutely love her to bits. I couldn't imagine life if we had never adopted her. Just like Sasha, she is my best mate.

Whilst it will be too soon for you to consider getting another dog, but when the time is right and you're ready i'd recommend embracing it with open arms. They will never replace the first dog, but the love they give you back is something special, and before you know it they too will become a big part of your family, and another mate for life.

Apologies for my long winded story, but in writing this it helped me to bring up some happy memories of my own, and I hope in doing so you too can relive the happy moments with your own special pet.

Cheers. :)

Damn man that was touching. What is this salty discharge? ;)

Absolutely pets are part of the family. Never seen Dad cry but he was a mess today. I don't live at home anymore but she was the first family pet we got and like you was there every step of the way thru childhood and teenage years - never forget the day she got into a box of pizza shapes as a pup, she loved them so much. So much that she would never eat any other flavour. You could offer up BBQ, chicken crimpy, cheddar and she would turn up her nose, give her pizza shapes and she'd have downed the packet before you even realised the packet was no longer in your hand :D Gonna miss her heaps but I've got my memories/photos and her collar :) Main focus now is the younger one, she's not doing too well at the moment.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsu:

Damn man that was touching. What is this salty discharge? ;)

Absolutely pets are part of the family. Never seen Dad cry but he was a mess today. I don't live at home anymore but she was the first family pet we got and like you was there every step of the way thru childhood and teenage years - never forget the day she got into a box of pizza shapes as a pup, she loved them so much. So much that she would never eat any other flavour. You could offer up BBQ, chicken crimpy, cheddar and she would turn up her nose, give her pizza shapes and she'd have downed the packet before you even realised the packet was no longer in your hand :D Gonna miss her heaps but I've got my memories/photos and her collar :) Main focus now is the younger one, she's not doing too well at the moment.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsu:
Sorry for your loss dude. Dogs are awesome but they break your heart when they die. I remember the Rottie we had when I was a teenager and I always thought that my Dad just tolerated the dog because she was my pet but when we had to put her down after she got an illness, I saw the look in his eyes when he returned from the vet and I knew he loved that dog too.

Some times you don't know how much something means to you until it's not there anymore.

I'm sorry to hear you had to endure the same thing I had to go through. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Hang in there mate. It may be a massive cliche, but truth be told time is the best remedy to healing the emotional wounds.

I had to put down my first dog 4-5 years ago now. It feels like an eternity has past since, and yet even typing this now it almost brings a tear to my eye remembering her - Sasha, my 12 year old Rottweiler. The gentlest, most loving dog with a crazy personality; so crazy she used to chase shadows and she even ate a whole wheel of Brie cheese (seriously! :D) way before Anchorman made it a famous quote.

I'm sure you'll agree with me in your own circumstance when I say that my dog wasn't just a pet, she was part of the family; like a sibling I grew up with from my early childhood, experiencing the most important years in my transition from child to teenager. She was my best mate.

Time may heal wounds, but it will never fully erase the memories I have of her. And it's those you'll come to cherish with your own dog, and I hope during your mourning that you can confide in those happy memories and take solace in knowing that you shared happy moments together and had an impact on each others lives.

During her final year over a short period of time she was starting to favour one of her hind legs over the other, and had trouble going up and down the back step. It was then we found a lump on her hind leg. I felt so helpless, as if I thought there was something I could do to make her better - wishing, hoping - only to question why things were the way they were. But with her beginning to be in pain, I knew the inevitable was the only option.

I remember the last night we shared together, fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday. She slept with me on my bed, cuddled up next to me, sharing a packet of chips. Knowing what was around the corner when the sun rose, I silently wished morning would never come and that time could just stand still so I could spend one more moment with her...

I can't explain how lonely and lost I was without her in the days, weeks, and months that followed. I just couldn't get used to not seeing her wagging her tail, as she sat at the back door. I can honestly say I have never been as heartbroken as I was during that period.

About 6-12 months later when my parents brought up the topic of getting another dog, I instantly became angry as I thought there is no way another dog could replace Sasha. I gave it some further thought, and realised how selfish I sounded. Getting another dog wasn't replacing her, it was just a form of moving on, and for me that was the only way I could do so, and something I needed to do.

From there we adopted a 3 year old chocolate Labrador named Buddy from a family who were moving overseas. We found her on a website advertising dogs 'free to a good home', and as fate would have it she was the very first dog that popped up on the webpage and we instantly fell in love with her. It was at this moment I began to believe that things in life happen for a reason, which may sound silly to some, but in doing so I started to accept the loss of Sasha and know she would be at peace if she somehow knew I was moving on.

When we lost Sasha, I thought i'd never love another dog like her, but I was proven wrong with Buddy. She is a ball of energy, with the funniest personality and I absolutely love her to bits. I couldn't imagine life if we had never adopted her. Just like Sasha, she is my best mate.

Whilst it will be too soon for you to consider getting another dog, but when the time is right and you're ready i'd recommend embracing it with open arms. They will never replace the first dog, but the love they give you back is something special, and before you know it they too will become a big part of your family, and another mate for life.

Apologies for my long winded story, but in writing this it helped me to bring up some happy memories of my own, and I hope in doing so you too can relive the happy moments with your own special pet.

Cheers. :)

Beautiful post.

When I was about 9, we got a boxer and had him until I was about 16. He had a plastic hip from being run over when he was a pup and eventually arthritis got to him so that he struggled to walk.

The entire family was devastated and I cried for days.

I have never had a dog since as I do not feel like I can be responsible enough to take proper care of one but think that my son should get to experience having a dog one day.

Can relate strongly to this. I had to put down my 12 year old Rottie around 4 - 5 years ago as well.

Another complete softy. The big 'scary' Rottie - who was afraid of loud noises and of the dark. :p The woosh slept in the garage with the light on, otherwise he'd scratch at the door to come inside. When he was a pup he grew up with a cat, so he of course wanted to be-friend all the cats. Of course most cats didn't want think a 50kg Rottie running at them wanted to be their friend :p When we later had a new cat I remember it took only two weeks from the kitten being terrified of being introduced to this huge beast to ruling him whilst still a quarter the size of his head.

Adults were sometimes wary of the big dog, but kids could sense he was a push over. The only risk they had was the push over back. When he liked someone he'd lean up against them. Which did knock down a few people. Never bit a person or another dog in his life. Not when ears pulled on, climbed over or even the one time a 6 year old child of friend decided for some reason to give him an impromptu rectal exam. :eek:

Cost a few dollars on several occasions as well. Like when we went out to New Years eve fireworks one year to find he'd ripped the tops of the picket fence to try and get away from the loud noise. Ok, next New Years, put him in the garage - that'll keep him feeling safe. Bzzzt, wrong choice. Come home to find him in the house. He'd shredded the door between the garage and house to get in and look for us (one of those ones with two thin wood sheets then filling between). He'd gone to every room and window, with cut paws looking for us or to get out. Bye bye going out for New Years whilst we had him from then on.

We went out for a run or a walk every night after I'd finished work (people still don't get if you've got a big dog you have to exercise them most days and then wonder why they destroy things, escape or attack people :rolleyes: ). The last couple of years of his life there'd be me with one hand pushing my eldest son in his pram and a rottie on his leash on the other. A walk and a sometimes smelly arse to sniff - dog heaven!

He was too big to ever be an inside house dog though. He got his wish in death though. I have his ashes in an urn in my home office, so now he gets to be inside every day next to people.

Sounds just like my Penny. She was a massive sook too. I remember one day out the back wrestling with her and I put my arm too near her mouth and she accidentally grabbed it and bit, just a little bit. Not even enough to draw blood, but I went "OWWW" just the same. Well, she took off running for the back of the yard thinking she was going to cop a big whack for it.

I didn't have the heart to tell her off because she knew already. Rotties get a bad name sometimes, but it is because of bad upbringing. Bring them up right and they are big softies.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Drake. One of the worst things in life is losing your dog.

When I was about 10 we had to put down our dog, Lily. She was a mix between blue heeler and a kelpie, with maybe a few other things thrown in there. She was a great dog, not once in my life did I hear here growl at a person, she would always just come over and lie next to them, waiting for a pat :p.
She was 17 when we had to put her down, so she had a good run, but my god it was one of the worst days of my life. We had a vet come around to our house to put her down, and for some stupid decision I wanted to be outside with her when he did it. Watching her face when she knew she was about to go was the most heartbreaking thing I've ever had to do, even though I was only young at the time. I couldn't handle being there the whole time, so I ran inside balling my eyes out.
We buried her in the backyard in her favourite spot to lie down under a tree.
Didn't get another dog for a couple of years, but i'm very glad we did, because she is another great dog (i guess everyones dog is a great dog to them :D). Very different to our old one, this one is a little black and white foxy, but still as nice as a dog could be. Loves people (dogs, not so much :p) and will follow you around all day. Got her from the pound when she was only 7 weeks old or something, and she's 10 now. Im sure when it's her time I wont feel like getting another dog, but i'm sure I will.

I didn't have the heart to tell her off because she knew already. Rotties get a bad name sometimes, but it is because of bad upbringing. Bring them up right and they are big softies.
Yep, Rotties aren't bred to be aggressive. They can be trained / mis-trained to be so for guard dogs etc., but they aren't naturally so, like American pit bulls for example. If I didn't have kids I'd get another rottie again. Not that the reason I don't plan to is their nature, but with young kids the next dog will be a bit smaller as I don't have the time to take a large dog out for a walk every night these days and think leaving them stuck in a yard day after day is cruel.

Thought there was a thread around the place on this but couldn't find one.

So I put my dog down a few hours ago .... pretty devo. I had to rush home this afternoon after a frantic call because the poor thing was not well. She had a few problems and we were considering putting her down as soon we and the vet thought she was in pain, but it's all happened pretty quick. 15 years with her has just ended and it feels pretty crap. Never put a pet down before but this has hit me like a ton of bricks.

Share your stories if you like - but one question I do have is about my other younger dog. She has been constantly looking inside and outside the house for her and can't seem to sit still - worried she's going to get worse. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they handled it!? :thumbsu: Cheers

Sorry to hear Drake... It is one of the worst things in life.. Be happy that you got 15 years with her though mate... I had a cat called Carlos, an indoor cat, who was run over when one of my mates left a door open... He was only 5... I cant explain how much it destroyed me. It was 5 years ago and even now, I am feeling sick just thinking about it..

Think of the good times mate, she no doubt had a great life with you:thumbsu:

The hardest thing to handle is seeing your other pet upset... It is heartbreaking but beautiful at the same time... If that makes sense

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Re the other dog, its to late now but the best thing to do if you are ever in this situation again - or to anyone else out there who might be in the situation one day - might seem bizarre but in the long run is the for the good.

That is take the other dog with you to the vet and after the ill one is euthanised allow the other one to come into the room with you and other family members - not the vet staff and allow him/her to see the dog and sniff it.

They will know that the dog has died and will not spend the next portion of their lives wondering where their companion is. They would have know that is was sick and would know that this this does not happen everytime they go to the vet.

Its hard to handle but it works best.

Enjoy the great memories you had with your dog and if you can get another young one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny because we considered that but we spoke to our vet that has been with us for 15 years and he strongly advised against it, so we didn't. Guess it just depends how each dog reacts to the situation - can see it from both sides.

This happened to my sis in law - and the vet said it was the best thing to do - i guess it just depends on the vet then.

In her case - the dog wandered over sniffed it once of twice and then gave it a lick and walked away.

Was very mellow that day but was almost back to normal the next day.

Sorry to hear of your loss Drake, it's always tough losing someone who is part of the family whether it be animal, or human. I see it as a happy ending for them in theory, no longer in pain, or soreness.

I actually had my dog euthanized a couple of months ago, and I was a mess for at least 3-4 days, and so was her friend. She had a cancer in the gum of her mouth, and we had it removed already once, however being she was an 8 year old boxer, that's a general old age for them, we thought it would be better to see her off. Besides the morning she was put down, she was barely able to walk around through sheer blood loss, which isn't fair on her. My parents didn't want me to stay for the euthanization, however I wanted too, and so I did. Gave me comfort.

Re: The other dog, give her a few days soon she will adapt to how life is alone and will most likely spend a lot more time around your family, another dog would be great for her too. Our dog got lucky and we adapted the rules, now she can sleep on people's beds, etc.

We had to put our cat down last year as he had a very rare skin deteriorating condition that was literally eating away at his back. One lot of medication cleared 99% of it up then it all came back again so we had no other option than to put him down. Was the hardest thing ive ever done as he was only 8 years old and was the most personable cat ive come across. Loved humans and loved being around them to the point of being annoying.

Theres little worse than losing a pet. You see them every day, you treat them like they're your brother/sister and its shattering when they pass away.

My dog died last Friday.

It was two Fridays before that, that I took him out. And said my goodbyes.

His health 2 weeks before that deteriorated quick. Just slowed down. On off eating. Not moving outta his basket, didn't run to the fence. Didn't bark when the people he normally barked at walked past.

Getting the phone all all from mum was hard.
I left work and came home. I had to ick up my little man. And take him to the vet and organize his cremation. I wanted him cremated.

I have had a prick of a week. After I left the vet I went to my mums where he died and walked in the gate. Thinking "it'll be ok cam, just pretend he's around the back yard" within half a step of going in the front gate, I have never ever felt so empty and and so quiet in the front yard. ..

I was and am still gutted. He was a little jack russel and he was meant to turn 15 in little less than three weeks.

Although I did say my goodbyes, it still kills to have to take him away.

I got his ashes back tonight, and when I got them I cried.
He now sits currently on my tv cabinet. I just wanted my dog back.
I'm a 25 year old male, who had let him stay at my mums for the last two years as he couldn't stay at my house, and I have pretty much cried or almost cried for 6 days in a row. Nd have been a shell of myself. Ultimately, this is a prime reason cos I lost my mate.

Ultimately, and sadly, nothing last forever. And I appreciate the time we had together.

Numerous things stick in my mind:
The day he ate a whole box of roses (as in the chocolate variety) and nothing happened.
When he ran away. To the point, was 4 suburbs over, and crossed a major freeway and he was back with me at the end of the day.
His knack to go out and have a whiz on the tree when the bins were going out.
And that little puppy that always walked to the top of the steps and lifted his arm for you to shake it.

I'll miss my little man.

Life will go on, but I'll never forget him.

That post nearly brought me to tears Cam. Very touching. I can relate. Our jack russell terrier of 9 years, Trevor, was diagnosed with cancer of the lymph nodes a couple of months ago. He's not his normal self and hasn't got long left at all. The pills we have had to give him have fattened him up to the point where he can barely jump like he used to.

I'm going to go and give him a big rub on the tummy now. My deepest commiserations Cam. They really are like a best mate. :)

I had to put my girl down about 10 months ago. My Dizzy a pure bred black and white Fox Terrier picked me as a friend when she was 8 weeks and she was always a good listener and learned her clever tricks as a little puppy. She was my best little girl, my best mate that always found what I was doing the center of her world, she never left my side. She always did as she was taught and is missed by me and everyone that ever meet her.

She got sick while i was on holidays and home for her so I could be there for her, she had cancer of the pancreas, she was only 9. She never let on that she was sick until that fateful day and was so brave. I took her to the vets and he knew she was very ill, but she never cried.
She knew her time was up, she looked me in the eye and she gave a little wag of her tail. I gave her little velvet ear a little rub and said goodbye.

I miss my baby girl sooo much and will run as fast as i can as her to me, to meet her at the rainbow bridge. I will give her little piggy tummy a rub like she loved and we will be together forever like old times. Time does heal so hang in there, but you will always miss her. I too had her cremated and cant bear to put her ashes in the ground so she sits next to my bed as she use to.
I cried for about a week after losing her and still miss her, but I have a new puppy now,
Bella a tri-coloured pure breed Fox Terrier, she is ten months old, she has different personality and is so funny, she cracks me up everday. I love her just as much but still miss my old pal.

I posted this on another thread a few weeks ago:

I moved up to North Queensland from Victoria at the start of the year. I like it up here except for one thing. Cane toads. They are everywhere and I hate them. I have two terriers who unfortunately are finding them a bit of a novelty and like to chase them.

Last night I took them out for a walk about 7 o'clock. We walked along this wall that had a few geckos on it. My girl, Bella, jumped at and caught what I thought was just a gecko.

IMG_0704-1.jpg

Bella

About five minutes later she dropped to her belly and wouldn't walk any further. Since we've been up here she's been doing that a fair bit when she thinks it's too hot to walk. So I said "Come on" and dragged her by the lead a bit. When I dragged her I noticed her back legs weren't moving. She then started shaking. I realised straight away that it must have been a cane toad. I picked her up and ran home. When I put her down at home she lay on her back and started convulsing.

My nephew called the vet and we rushed over there straight away. In the car she was quite still but when the vet put her on the table she started convulsing madly and I thought she was going to die. I couldn't stand to see my girl in this condition and had to go outside. When I went back inside she had calmed down and the vet had put her on a valium drip. I asked the vet if she was going to be ok. He said he didn't know but that if she didn't die during the night she would be ok. The vet said he would call me if she deteriorated.

We went home and I bawled my eyes out. Jack knew that there was something seriously wrong. Usually he's energetic and happy. But he was just laying on the floor looking sad. They haven't been seperated since I got them four years ago as puppies so I didn't how he would cope if Bella died.

IMG_0706-1.jpg

Jack

About two hours later the vet called. I had my heart in my mouth when he called because I thought he said he would only call if she died. However he said that she was awake and looking around which was a promising sign but said that she still wasn't out of the woods. I tossed and turned all last night.

I turned up at the vet's about 8:30 this morning, full of dread. Even though the vet had said it was looking promising I was expecting the worst. When the vet told me she was ok the relief was so overwhelming I burst into tears again. My family aren't really animal lovers. Even though they like my dogs and were very supportive last night (my sister drove around to give me a cuddle while I was bawling my eyes out) I think they think I'm a bit crazy for being so attached to my dogs but they're my babies and I love them to death.

The vet said to let her rest for the day and pick her up after work. I picked her up at 2 o'clock. Jack was so happy to see her he tried to hump her, even though both are desexed. She's still a bit sedated and sleepy and has mostly been sleeping on my lap all afternoon. But I'm so relieved she's ok. I know I'll have to lose her one day but I wasn't ready to last night.

So even though I didn't lose Bella I can certainly understand what you're going through drakes. My condolences.

This happened to my sis in law - and the vet said it was the best thing to do - i guess it just depends on the vet then.

In her case - the dog wandered over sniffed it once of twice and then gave it a lick and walked away.

Was very mellow that day but was almost back to normal the next day.

My Fox Terrier x Kelpie that I got when I moved out of home and my mum and dad's little Foxy x Chihuahua were thick as thieves. They would see each other all the time, either me bringing Dizzy to their house or my dad coming over to watch the footy and bringing Jovi with him.

When I had to put Dizzy down a few years back, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. But it wasn't until about four months later that I found a new level of hurt. My dad came over with Jovi to watch a game and when he got to the front door he raced through looking for Dizzy. He scratched at the back door to be let out.

We let him out there and he ran around everywhere looking for him, sniffing the ground, trying to find any sign of his mate. Finally after about a minute he came back to the door with the saddest look on his face. He couldn't find him. We had always thought that after a while of not seeing Dizzy that he would have figured out something was wrong.

But he had no idea his friend was no longer here and when the realisation hit him, he was the saddest little dog you ever saw. He went from being this energetic, crazy dog to just lying on the floor not doing anything for the whole time he was at my house. He was fine by the next day, but on that day he just looked miserable.

And it made me sad as well. Poor guy lost his mate and I lost Dizzy all over again.

Sorry to everyone who has lost pets recently. I wrote the following for the Bulldogs board in November 2009 right after my cat, Jordan, passed away.

As some of you might have read in my post earlier this year regarding my March visit to Melbourne, my Western suburbs born, 17 year old cat, Jordan(named after Michael Jordan), was suffering from Chronic Heart Failure. Over our summer he also was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. He was put to sleep yesterday(Thursday) afternoon.

I adopted Jordan back in 1992 about a month after my previous cat had passed away. I had no intention of getting a new cat at the time, but when I visited Highpoint Shopping Centre I fell in love with the white ball of fluff. That was on a Friday evening. I had taken two trains and a tram from my home in Box Hill to visit Highpoint in Maribyrnong where I had lived when I first arrived in Melbourne. I didn't adopt Jordan that evening. Rather, I left the shopping centre and headed home. After losing my previous cat I didn't know if I could go through all of that again. However, on the train home, I decided to go back the next morning and if he was still there, I'd take him home with me. Sooooo... I got up early and was out at HP before Pets Paradise even opened. He was right there in the window and when the store opened, Jordan came into my life. We took the tram and two trains home and I had to leave him in the utility room so I could head off to Moorabbin for our match against the Saints that afternoon. That was Saturday July 11, 1992. We won that day! Jordan continued to live with me in Box Hill for the next eight years.

Jordan became an adopted American when I moved back home here to the states with him in 2000. He was a proud Western Bulldogs Pet Member for about ten years of his life, his last membership purchased on my visit to Melbourne in March. He was my link to Australia and especially to the Western suburbs. I will miss him tremendously.

JordanIII-1.jpg

Rest peacefully, my little mate.

I waited over eight months before we decided to adopt another cat from a shelter. Lily came into our lives and we have enjoyed nearly two years of her antics. I think Jordan would have approved.

littleprincesslily.jpg

Loved humans and loved being around them to the point of being annoying.

Theres little worse than losing a pet. You see them every day, you treat them like they're your brother/sister and its shattering when they pass away.

My 13-year-old Burmese is like that. He has to be with you 24/7. Even to the point that if I have a shower, he scratches at the bathroom door yowling because he can't find me. He actually had to put him on tablets because his 'separation anxiety' became too much.

Condolences to all who have had to send their pet to heaven.

I had two Dalmations, Bonnie and Clyde, since early November 2009, they were rescued dogs from a nasty divorce who were 9 and 8 at the time. They were the best thing that ever happened to me. I had always wanted a dog but where I have lived in the past and my lifestyle wouldn't have been fair on a dog.

Sadly I had to make a decision regarding Bonnie a couple of months ago as she had lymph node lumps. As an adult this was a first time experience for me which made it harder in a way. I was with her right to the end when she went to heaven on 21-02-2012. Blubbered on and off for days but kept it together for Clyde. Bonnie was 10 months older than him and I'd say he'd never been by himself all his life. She was his boss in a way and I was concerned how he'd cope. Has scored extra hugs and pats .He's been fine, more or less come into his own in a way. I still miss her happy cheery face, tail wagging when she knew it was walkies and feed time. She would always come and thank me in her way after her dinner, Clyde, mr no manners but he has other qualities.

I came across a video I'd forgotten I had taken of her on my camera and just watching it got me all blubbery. It's been like losing a child in a way. I don't have kids so I guess my pets are my kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back