No Opposition Supporters DEATH RIDE 2: A TEAGUE OF THEIR OWN! (Picks 3 and 21)

How many wins for the rest of the year under their new coach David Teague?

• Total voters

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Break even?

Menzel played 4 games for us, we eventually sacked him and had to pay him out for the rest of his contract.

In terms of the relative value of the picks, on one hand you're claiming that Pick 28 and Kerridge for Menzel (who was a complete failure) was a break even, yet now you're arguing that Pick 24 in the Gibbs trade is the equivalent of a first rounder ?

You're clearly taking the piss because it simply just doesn't add up.
Pick 28 is a 2nd rounder (and not equivalent to a 1st rounder pick 21 and that draft wasn't consider a strong draft which is the point I am making).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sure I've tried explaining this to you before

Jake Lever trade

We received the equivalent of Pick 8

View attachment 734799

Bryce Gibbs trade

We paid the equivalent of Pick 5

View attachment 734806
There's no tangible evidence at all to support this fallacy that we got a better deal for Lever than what we paid for Gibbs.

Even those who were originally trying to justify the deal later conceded that the Gibbs trade turned into a s**t show once we had a poor 2018.

The fact that the club actively traded away Picks 19 and 24 for 2019 picks that suggests that the 2018 draft picks in the late teens and early 20s didn't hold anywhere near the value that you're trying to claim they did.
Draft points are convoluted as s**t, it doesn't take into account the draft strength. Who the hell thinks pick 16 is the worth less than pick 24 and 44 is nuts and BTW, we got pick 21.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So what was it in the end of the day:

Pick 3 (4-5) for 8 (9-10) + 19 (21+)

Pretty fair trade regardless of how it works out from here (bracketed are accounting for GC priority pick, and a bid for the kid in the GWS academy). If there is ever an indictment of how much we f’ed up this season, the fact this trade is fair is that.
Not our fault that Melbourne was s**t as (who would have thought that) and GC will get a priority pick.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sure I've tried explaining this to you before

Jake Lever trade

We received the equivalent of Pick 8

View attachment 734799

Bryce Gibbs trade

We paid the equivalent of Pick 5

View attachment 734806
There's no tangible evidence at all to support this fallacy that we got a better deal for Lever than what we paid for Gibbs.

Even those who were originally trying to justify the deal later conceded that the Gibbs trade turned into a s**t show once we had a poor 2018.

The fact that the club actively traded away Picks 19 and 24 for 2019 picks that suggests that the 2018 draft picks in the late teens and early 20s didn't hold anywhere near the value that you're trying to claim they did.
And I told you this previously, another way you could look at it is pick 10 + difference of (pick 21 + 40) - (pick 16 + pick 28) which equals pick 10 + an early 3rd rounder (from memory) which is less than pick 10 + 16 (which is what we got for Lever).

relapse

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
And I told you this previously, another way you could look at it is pick 10 + difference of (pick 21 + 40) - (pick 16 + pick 28) which equals pick 10 + an early 3rd rounder (from memory) which is less than pick 10 + 16 (which is what we got for Lever).

So even after showing you using the draft point calculator (that values every pick in and out) that the evidence says we paid more for Gibbs than we recevied for Lever you're still denying it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BMartin 3Votes

Debutant
Feb 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Who do we take then?
Personally I don’t think we take 4 to the draft, but if we did I wouldn't have a clue.
It’s harder when as a club you have more choice due to a higher pick. Everyone’s opinions will be different and it will come down to where the guys have each recruit on their talent board. It would be talent over needs and based on that there is a handful at 4-10 that the Crows could choose.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So even after showing you using the draft point calculator (that values every pick in and out) that the evidence says we paid more for Gibbs than we recevied for Lever you're still denying it?

No, we got pick 10 in a weak draft & pick 16 in a strong draft for Lever, for Gibbs we gave pick 10 in a weak draft & pick 16 in a weak draft but got the equivalent of a 2017's 1st rounder back with the stronger draft in 2018, using the point system Gibbs was pick 10 + an early 3rd rounder, Lever was pick 10 + 16 so even without taking into account the strength of the 2017 and 2018 draft, we gave less for Gibbs.

How difficult is it to understand my excellent analysis.....? Elite Crow....

Last edited:

relapse

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
No, we got pick 10 in a weak draft & pick 16 in a strong draft for Lever, for Gibbs we gave pick 10 in a weak draft & pick 16 in a weak draft but got the equivalent of a 2017's 1st rounder back with the stronger draft in 2018, using the point system Gibbs was pick 10 + an early 3rd rounder, Lever was pick 10 + 16 so even without taking into account the strength of the 2017 and 2018 draft, we gave less for Gibbs.

How difficult is it to understand my excellent analysis.....? Elite Crow....
Let me try and completely dumb it down for you

We gave Carlton 3 picks to get Gibbs and two picks.

We received 2 picks from Melbourne, but gave them 2 picks along with Lever.

Even on a completely basic level it suggests that by giving up 3 picks we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

Then when you weigh in the actual draft picks in terms of their relative values that measure also suggests that we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

It doesn't matter how much spin doctoring you try and apply to the relative trades, every conceivable measure suggests that we paid more for Gibbs.

Top Bottom