No Opposition Supporters DEATH RIDE 2: A TEAGUE OF THEIR OWN! (Picks 3 and 21)

How many wins for the rest of the year under their new coach David Teague?

• Total voters

Mr MysteryGuest

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
They weren't happy with compo pick - like we did with Danger, chose to trade instead of getting compo pick.
It would be funny if it were true, but it's not. You need to match (or threaten to like we did) in order to force a trade. The salary Coniglio signed for is still meant to be under what carlton were offering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rocket18

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would be funny if it were true, but it's not. You need to match (or threaten to like we did) in order to force a trade. The salary Coniglio signed for is still meant to be under what carlton were offering.
I didn't say they matched what Carlton were offering, they just upped their offer to close the gap once it was clear they wouldn't receive adequate compensation for him.

Mr MysteryGuest

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't say they matched what Carlton were offering, they just upped their offer to close the gap once it was clear they wouldn't receive adequate compensation for him.
But you said it was because carlton had pick 8 instead of 3, but that doesn't make sense. pick 8 is only relevant if there was going to be a trade, and a trade only happens if they match carltons offer.

rocket18

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes but once the draft order was settled for the top 10 picks they could see where a potential "match & trade" scenario was heading ( like us with danger).

Going to the trade table with SOS where he only had pick 8 was going to be difficult, plenty of laptop closing and walking out the door going on - hence the revised offer.

Mr MysteryGuest

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes but once the draft order was settled for the top 10 picks they could see where a potential "match & trade" scenario was heading ( like us with danger).

Going to the trade table with SOS where he only had pick 8 was going to be difficult, plenty of laptop closing and walking out the door going on - hence the revised offer.
If there was a trade, gws would have asked for two 1sts. But he re-signed for less than what carlton were offering, so why wouldn't he stay if they matched? I don't think a trade was ever on the cards, he either stays, or he goes as a free agent.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok when someone refers to their own analysis as excellent it’s clear your trolling. Well done mate, you had me, I just thought you were clueless. I’ll leave you to your fun
I was being sarcastic.... ;) but I've always said you had to look at the trade more closely.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
Not our fault that Melbourne was s**t as (who would have thought that) and GC will get a priority pick.
It is 100% our fault. We don't horrifically underperform in the second half of the season (to the point we have no choice but to burn it all down) and we kill this trade.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is 100% our fault. We don't horrifically underperform in the second half of the season (to the point we have no choice but to burn it all down) and we kill this trade.
But we would "technically" have pick 2 if Melbourne weren't so s**t, trade is still good, anyone would have done it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golumless

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
But we would "technically" have pick 2 if Melbourne weren't so s**t, trade is still good, anyone would have done it.
Melbourne being s**t is utterly irrelevant here. Pick 2 for 8 + 19 is a fair deal. Pick 3 for 8 + 19 is a fair deal.

I agree, anyone would have done that trade because the only way this trade was going to be a win/win for both sides is if we f’ed up (and Carlton sacked their coach to cause a spike). The odds were so heavily in our favour after all, and yet the end result can only be described as a fair deal.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Melbourne being s**t is utterly irrelevant here. Pick 2 for 8 + 19 is a fair deal. Pick 3 for 8 + 19 is a fair deal.

I agree, anyone would have done that trade because the only way this trade was going to be a win/win for both sides is if we f’ed up (and Carlton sacked their coach to cause a spike). The odds were so heavily in our favour after all, and yet the end result can only be described as a fair deal.
o_O....they being s**t prevented us from having pick 2 (I doubt any team would have been as worst as GC) so it isn't "irrelevant" and pick 4 for 8 + 19 is a very good deal, not just fair.

Golumless

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
o_O....they being s**t prevented us from having pick 2 (I doubt any team would have been as worst as GC) so it isn't "irrelevant" and pick 4 for 8 + 19 is a very good deal, not just fair.
It doesn't change the quality of this deal by much, and most of that loss of quality is of our own doing, so yes, it's all but irrelevant.

It's a late first for a 4 to 5 pick upgrade. That is fair deal for both sides, not one where we belted Carlton at the trade table, which would constitute as very good (Though may get helped by a pending GWS bid). Which is a problem because we held every single card here.

Get into 8-10 pick upgrade range, then we begin to talk about very good. All that would have took is us not completely imploding on the back end.

deaneus

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you
Nov 24, 2007
*sigh*
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Caps

kulak

Club Legend
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
IMO it is a tie

We used pick 19 in a super draft to get a 5 pick upgrade from 8 to 3 in a normal draft.

If the drafts were of equal strength then it would be a win for us.

Because we moved resources from a stronger draft to a weaker draft I think it is about a tie.

Crow till I die

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
With Carlton into Jack Martin from GC and a few other trades, I wonder if Reid should go to SOS and let him know we have pick 21 (probably gets Martin done with maybe adding a 3rd or 4th rounder if needs be) and pick 26 (for another small forward like the fella from Richmond that has been out of favor) that we could trade for pick 8

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
IMO it is a tie

We used pick 19 in a super draft to get a 5 pick upgrade from 8 to 3 in a normal draft.

If the drafts were of equal strength then it would be a win for us.

Because we moved resources from a stronger draft to a weaker draft I think it is about a tie.
Depends how you view the top 4 this year, some say pick 3-8 are all the same (which means it's a lost as we gave up pick 19 for nothing), whereas other say pick 1-2 are stand-out but 3-4 are still top 4 quality like any other year (which is a win for us), and some view 3-4 as not as top 4 quality as any other year but still better than 5-8 (which is a tie).

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Depends how you view the top 4 this year, some say pick 3-8 are all the same (which means it's a lost as we gave up pick 19 for nothing), whereas other say pick 1-2 are stand-out but 3-4 are still top 4 quality like any other year (which is a win for us), and some view 3-4 as not as top 4 quality as any other year but still better than 5-8 (which is a tie).
You seem to forget though pick 3 gives Hamish a lot more options re the player he wants than pick 8 does because you can bet he sees the player at 3 on his board better than the next few even if only by small margins.

ABAB

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
You seem to forget though pick 3 gives Hamish a lot more options re the player he wants than pick 8 does because you can bet he sees the player at 3 on his board better than the next few even if only by small margins.
Hence, I always thought the trade was a huge win, whereas other don't.

Top Bottom