• Wooden Spoon: Pick 1, baby!

Votes: 36 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can’t be arsed checking but in my head I seem to have the impression that we basically (over 2 trade periods) ended up trading Hanley for Charlie right?

If so. Winning!
We did extremely well , could of been better if it was Collinwood instead of the Suns.
How good was Hanley in the early days , oh The Irishman.

I was talking to my mate at golf about this on the weekend. I can’t believe people were criticising us giving up pick 12 for a known quantity and would have preferred to enter the draft lottery.
I remember arguing with our Victorian fans in Round 23 2016 because they wanted us to tank for pick one while I wanted to avoid the spoon at all costs.

Not finishing last and AFL being lenient on Essendon for drug cheating turned out to be the best thing that happened to us.

We traded pick 2 for pick 3 and 16 from GWS. Pick 3 turned out to be Hugh McCluggage who we would have drafted at pick 1 if we had it but 16 turned out to be Jarrod Berry.

Would we have traded pick one for 3 and 16? I don't think we would have as I believe our recruiters thought that McCluggage would have been a certain pick one.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I remember arguing with our Victorian fans in Round 23 2016 because they wanted us to tank for pick one while I wanted to avoid the spoon at all costs.

Not finishing last and AFL being lenient on Essendon for drug cheating turned out to be the best thing that happened to us.

We traded pick 2 for pick 3 and 16 from GWS. Pick 3 turned out to be Hugh McCluggage who we would have drafted at pick 1 if we had it but 16 turned out to be Jarrod Berry.

Would we have traded pick one for 3 and 16? I don't think we would have as I believe our recruiters thought that McCluggage would have been a certain pick one.

Good point we must have known for sure that GWS wouldn't draft McCluggage at pick 2

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good point we must have known for sure that GWS wouldn't draft McCluggage at pick 2
Yup GWS took pick 2 cause they were desperate for McGrath cause it looked like Essendon were taking Clug. Then the Bombers took McGrath so luckily for us they went Taranto.

Taranto looks very good but would rather have Clug. McGrath def behind both now.

Yup GWS took pick 2 cause they were desperate for McGrath cause it looked like Essendon were taking Clug. Then the Bombers took McGrath so luckily for us they went Taranto.

Taranto looks very good but would rather have Clug. McGrath def behind both now.
McGrath has the distinct disadvantage of playing for Essendon.

I believe the club thought that McCluggage would have been a certain pick one and that Ainsworth would certainly be available at 3

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would be great if the Pies implode and end up just making the top 8 before going out in straight sets = pick 10!

Not making the 8 would be better ;)

When I'm not wasting time doing the ladder predictor to see how well we could do, I'm wasting time seeing how low Collingwood could finish. The best I have come up with is 15th.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not making the 8 would be better ;)

When I'm not wasting time doing the ladder predictor to see how well we could do, I'm wasting time seeing how low Collingwood could finish. The best I have come up with is 15th.

View attachment 703747
With pick 4 the Brisbane Lions Football Club select Lachlan Ash. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Umps fault too I see. :rolleyes:
A bit of that but mainly just piling s**t on their own team and coach.

Worth reminding everyone that the Pies next 3 games are the Eagles and Giants away followed by what should be a near back to full strength Tigers at the MCG, we could be witnessing a full on delicious COLLYWOBBLE of the highest order.

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Huge, HUGE win for the death-ride tonight. Monumental, even.

Next three for the 'wobbles:

• Eagles (A)
  • Giants (A)
  • Tigers (MCG)

I'm tipping them for 0-3, and a fall to 6th-7th. They've been putrid since the bye, playing far lesser sides.

I'd tip the Crows to beat them (in Adelaide)

They should still manage wins against GC and Melbourne - which would have them 12-9 going into the final round clash against the Bombers.

I think they'll win somewhere between 12-14 games. Less than 14 will give them the opportunity for a first week finals exit (courtesy of a bruising trip to the Gabba?), and pick 11 in our hands (all the while advancing to a semi final!)

...the dream is alive!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
A bit of that but mainly just piling s**t on their own team and coach.

Worth reminding everyone that the Pies next 3 games are the Eagles and Giants away followed by what should be a near back to full strength Tigers at the MCG, we could be witnessing a full on delicious COLLYWOBBLE of the highest order.
How funny is the sooking about Richmond posters "liking" their comments and wanting the mods to do something.:drunk:

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Magpies run home-

Eagles Away
GWS Away
Tigers MCG
Suns MCG
Demons MCG
Crows Away
Bombers MCG

On current form only team I'd say they'd be a certainty against would be the Suns. Imagine if they had a full capitulation and miss finals giving us a nice top 10 pick. Still plenty of time for them to regain form though and I wouldn't be completely surprised if they beat the Eagles next week. They tend to play pretty well away from home.

Magpies run home-

Eagles Away
GWS Away
Tigers MCG
Suns MCG
Demons MCG
Crows Away
Bombers MCG

On current form only team I'd say they'd be a certainty against would be the Suns. Imagine if they had a full capitulation and miss finals giving us a nice top 10 pick. Still plenty of time for them to regain form though and I wouldn't be completely surprised if they beat the Eagles next week. They tend to play pretty well away from home.
They won’t beat the Eagles no way

Back