Strategy Death Riding Adelaide.... (The Tank Thread) 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about this. I know 12 months is par for an ACL - anyone with medical knowledge able to comment on whether waiting longer & strengthening further makes a difference beyond that?
If any risk whatsoever you'd hold him back.
I can confirm I am not a doctor, so you should listen to me.

I'd do it so he can get some confidence in it.

Anyone who needs surgery, get it done now. We need everyone available for the start of pre-season training.

Smith coming back for the last couple of games would be a big boost to the morale of the group, not to mention he's a quality player.

Assuming they stay uninjured, I'd like to see Keath, Himmelberg, Davis and Signorello given a few games, with the latter two thrown in the deep end to see if they're worth giving another contract to.

Lastly, give some more midfield time to Gallucci and Murphy to see if they can cement a spot there.

I don't really see any value in playing Smith at this point. If our season was well and truly alive then bring him in. But why take the risk now? I'd just start his preseason early and have him ready to play JLT then round 1 next year.

I don't really see any value in playing Smith at this point. If our season was well and truly alive then bring him in. But why take the risk now? I'd just start his preseason early and have him ready to play JLT then round 1 next year.
Playing again is the key part of the recovery. If he can bank a few games and start to get some confidence back in his knee that's a positive, rather than 18 months out and doubt.

Playing again is the key part of the recovery. If he can bank a few games and start to get some confidence back in his knee that's a positive, rather than 18 months out and doubt.

Can you please put your avatar back on, it feels like you are naked in here. ffs. :rolleyes:

:p

Remember when we were disappointed about the GF loss but then then we got Gibbs and Fogarty and they were supposed to be the missing pieces and 2018 would be the year? That turned out well ...

Gibbs must feel right at home, with its fans wanting the team to tank. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Not sure about this. I know 12 months is par for an ACL - anyone with medical knowledge able to comment on whether waiting longer & strengthening further makes a difference beyond that?
If any risk whatsoever you'd hold him back.
I'm sure 12mths, 1year, is a rounded up or rounded down convenient length of time to alot to this particular injury. There is no magical set amount of time where things are suddenly fixed.

I see where you guys are coming from but man, it feels weird seeing fellow fans hoping we lose.
I guess the problem is how else do you get your hands on the picks we need for the players we want/ need?
How would you even coach that without losing the respect of the players who don’t want to lose?
Strange days have found us...
It would be great if the AFL could have some kind of club performance reward scheme like each season a club is awarded credit draft pick points they accumulate year on year until they use so that a club finishing first (end of minor round or post finals) say get 500 points, and these credit point reduce as clubs finish lower on the table.

Clubs can then build up these credit draft points to use in a draft if they really want to move up the draft order if there is a player they're really keen. Make it so that this draft order jumping can't be used in a season if the club finishes outside of the top 8.

This way a club consistently finishing near the top of the table for 6-8 seasons could have built up enough points for pick #1.

Play him in the SANFL? We've seen that players can do ACLs even just at training and obviously doing nothing (or near nothing) but "safe" exercises and condition is not acceptable. There's quite a big jump in intensity between SANFL and AFL that maybe SANFL is at a good level where he can get his conditioning back without the higher intensity of AFL and the possible higher risk of injury.

Remember when we were disappointed about the GF loss but then then we got Gibbs and Fogarty and they were supposed to be the missing pieces and 2018 would be the year? That turned out well ...
Fog - the kid who needs 3 pre seasons and
struggled to get a kick at U18 level

And Gibbs in while Cameron / Lever / Smith out !!!! Able to cover Lever beautifully but the others were always going to be tougher to cover as there was no obvious replacements

Admittedly losing Brad Crouch was slightly unexpected but other than that was always going to be tougher and a sense of rebuilding the side again

Fog - the kid who needs 3 pre seasons and
struggled to get a kick at U18 level

And Gibbs in while Cameron / Lever / Smith out !!!! Able to cover Lever beautifully but the others were always going to be tougher to cover as there was no obvious replacements

Admittedly losing Brad Crouch was slightly unexpected but other than that was always going to be tougher and a sense of rebuilding the side again

Losing Brad is unexpected? what alternate universe have you come from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Brad is unexpected? what alternate universe have you come from?
Played a career high 20 games in 2017.....was in our top 3 or 4 players in the Finals Series, everything was pointing to him finally being over his injury woes and heading in the right direction.

It's sick s**t

We gave up two first rounders for him and now people here want us to lose games for first rounders

Yup. Unfortunately no one can plan for a year where a side is decimated by injuries.

Play him in the SANFL? We've seen that players can do ACLs even just at training and obviously doing nothing (or near nothing) but "safe" exercises and condition is not acceptable. There's quite a big jump in intensity between SANFL and AFL that maybe SANFL is at a good level where he can get his conditioning back without the higher intensity of AFL and the possible higher risk of injury.
He's been running at full speed for months , he will be in full training for 5 weeks by time he plays . At some point you have to take the cotton wool off

If he plays a month of AFL he will be far better prepared by round 1 next year it's not funny

It would be great if the AFL could have some kind of club performance reward scheme like each season a club is awarded credit draft pick points they accumulate year on year until they use so that a club finishing first (end of minor round or post finals) say get 500 points, and these credit point reduce as clubs finish lower on the table.

Clubs can then build up these credit draft points to use in a draft if they really want to move up the draft order if there is a player they're really keen. Make it so that this draft order jumping can't be used in a season if the club finishes outside of the top 8.

This way a club consistently finishing near the top of the table for 6-8 seasons could have built up enough points for pick #1.
I like that idea. A lot.

Like a IPL auction process.

Imagine telecasting the draft night with clubs bidding on Lukosius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back