Death Riding Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the hell did we ask? I definitely don't want to play them in Adelaide. As I keep saying, the optimum draw means playing the good sides at home and the weak sides away: it worked extremely well this year and I'd like to continue this outcome.
We play them home and away don’t we?

Why is this thread still a thing..
A bottom four finish in the 2018 season would surely result in substantial pressure mounting on Bolton. I don't rate him as a coach, and wouldn't be surprised if they decide to part ways at the end of 2018.
In Bolts we trust. He's not going anywhere.

And that could be your problem.
I think he's doing a good job. He got them defensively set up in the first 2 years, the attacking side of the game might take another 2-3 years to get ready while Mackay, Curnow etc develop, but he's at least keeping them in games and avoiding huge blow out loses for now.

A bottom four finish in the 2018 season would surely result in substantial pressure mounting on Bolton. I don't rate him as a coach, and wouldn't be surprised if they decide to part ways at the end of 2018.

Curious - why is this?

Our list is still in its very early stages of development, but 90% of Carlton supporters rate Bolts' as a coach.

Because of stuff like this

Fox footy trolling Carlton? But a fair point in general. Carlton may now look to take a player that long term replaces Simpson and gets 22 games put into him in place of Docherty in 2018. So going through the list of players that could play as a running half back straight away I am thinking Coffield, Clarke and Constable. No chance Worpel will be taken at 10 I suppose, but he probably looks like the guy that could play AFL in 2018 the most IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox footy trolling Carlton? But a fair point in general. Carlton may now look to take a player that long term replaces Simpson and gets 22 games put into him in place of Docherty in 2018. So going through the list of players that could play as a running half back straight away I am thinking Coffield, Clarke and Constable. No chance Worpel will be taken at 10 I suppose, but he probably looks like the guy that could play AFL in 2018 the most IMO.

We wont be taking a player in the draft just to fill that position. If we grab Coffield or Hunter at 10 it'll be because they are the best prospect at that selection.

O'Shea's average, but he's a decent guy to have on the list in the absence of Docherty.

We wont be taking a player in the draft just to fill that position. If we grab Coffield or Hunter at 10 it'll be because they are the best prospect at that selection.

O'Shea's average, but he's a decent guy to have on the list in the absence of Docherty.

You don't think Docherty's injury will change your plans at 10 at all? You had to replace Simpson long term anyway and so you may have already planned to take somebody like him anyway. But if you didnt plan on that, you might see an opportunity to put 22 games into his replacement. An opportunity that wasn't there last week. Not making light of the injury. Wouldn't do that. I know how devastating that is with Smith.

What is the point of playing O'Shea - zero benefit to your next tilt at a flag. Who does your board think you will be taking with 3 and 10 by the way? I thought Carlton might take a ping at Bonar at 10 due to the upside, but now I think you would be better off with Clarke or Constable, assuming Coffield is off the table.

You don't think Docherty's injury will change your plans at 10 at all? You had to replace Simpson long term anyway and so you may have already planned to take somebody like him anyway. But if you didnt plan on that, you might see an opportunity to put 22 games into his replacement. An opportunity that wasn't there last week. Not making light of the injury. Wouldn't do that. I know how devastating that is with Smith.

What is the point of playing O'Shea - zero benefit to your next tilt at a flag. Who does your board think you will be taking with 3 and 10 by the way? I thought Carlton might take a ping at Bonar at 10 due to the upside, but now I think you would be better off with Clarke or Constable, assuming Coffield is off the table.

We have many areas of need that need to be addressed - primarily we need midfielders. I think Coffield has scope to be developed as a midfielder, as does Clark, which is why they'll both be considered.

Like many of the players we've brought in over the past few years O'Shea would be brought in as a temporary measure to provide some leadership and senior experience. Unfortunately we can't just load up the team with young guys, as much as that seems like the logical thing to do. Especially now with the loss of Docherty, we need guys with AFL experience. I believe that is one of the reasons Mullett was brought in, and why O'Shea may also be picked up.

At 3 I want Dow and at 10 I'd be happy with Bonar or Coffield.

AFC draft picks for 2018: Pick 13 (Melbournes), Pick 18 (Crows), Pick 21 (Carltons), Pick 40 (Carltons), Pick 59 (Carltons), Any after this probably just for upgrades

Not bad, not bad.

Expect Carlton to be 13th-18th. Will probably start to play players like Mckay and Pickett over players like Casbult and Wright. Either that or they will try to escape the bottom-4 playing spuds like Kerridge and whatever recycled players they picked up this year. Hard to see much improvement with two of their best players gone and Thomas, Simpsons, Murphy getting on.

Mmmmmmm

Ideal (yet realistic) scenario:

Crows finish 1st.
Melbourne finish 8th.
Carlton finish 18th.

Crows go into the draft with: (or trade down to try improve 1st + 2nd picks)
Picks : 11, 18, 19, 37, 65, 72, 90

(Picks 11,65 From Melbourne)
(Picks 19,37 From Carlton)
(we give up Picks 36 (to Carlton) & 54 (to Melbourne)

Mmmmmmm

Ideal (yet realistic) scenario:

Crows finish 1st.
Melbourne finish 8th.
Carlton finish 18th.

Crows go into the draft with: (or trade down to try improve 1st + 2nd picks)
Picks : 11, 18, 19, 37, 65, 72, 90

(Picks 11,65 From Melbourne)
(Picks 19,37 From Carlton)
(we give up Picks 36 (to Carlton) & 54 (to Melbourne)

If you have us finishing first, why not go Melbourne 11th or 12th? They are probably only one key injury away from a big fall. Teams may have worked them out and they might not be able to change their style enough to overcome. Plus the Karma bus will be coming for them hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back