Oppo Camp Death Riding - Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks a jumper means anything has rocks in their head. Carlton is s**t despite them being a "real club with a jump that means something". Ditto Essendon. Richmond went through a 30 year stint of being s**t. Saints had one for 100s of years and are still s**t. Adelaide have spent the last 20 years being s**t even though the jumper means something. Port have fought for the prison bars and got smacked the moment they were allowed to use them. To reiterate, jumpers don't mean anything.

Gold Coast are garbage for the exact same reasons Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide, Saints and every garbage side you can think of had sustained stints at the bottom. They've got the wrong people in charge of the club, and once you have the wrong people, it kills everything it touches. Parachute Geelong or Melbournes board into Gold Coast and they'd be a regular finals/top 4 side in five years.
Anyone who thinks the afl is going to sink their investment now has rocks in their heads.
If anything they will double down.

Anyone who thinks the afl is going to sink their investment now has rocks in their heads.
If anything they will double down.

Spot on. AFL are committed to making Gold Coast work and whilst TV rights are in the billions, why would they care if Gold Coast (or GWS) are taking a while to really establish themselves? The cash it'd cost them would be a drop in the ocean compared to what they're generating from the extra game a week.

Like all basketcases who don't fix themselves, they'll eventually parachute a new board in, maybe an ex-coach with a high rep (like Roos to Melbourne) and get it properly up and running.

Gold Coast really need a Burgess type as their fitness looks to be a major thing holding them back.

They've been getting blown away in second halves all year.

Losing Rankine was huge for them. First of all up until then they had managed to keep a few big names in recent times.

Then when he left, not only did they miss out in him, it hurt their player retention and he is now playing to huge crowds in a winning team. Lukosius wouldn't be human if he doesn't have some small regrets.

Losing Rankine was huge for them. First of all up until then they had managed to keep a few big names in recent times.

Then when he left, not only did they miss out in him, it hurt their player retention and he is now playing to huge crowds in a winning team. Lukosius wouldn't be human if he doesn't have some small regrets.

Yup, it's very likely it is. After all, Rankine begun his ascent in the competition elite last year, and the thing with elite players, it tends to make other players better as they're flying under the radar/covering weaknesses.

Whilst there are probably a few things Rankine is doing here that he may not have at Gold Coast - i.e., I don't think his defensive game increases like it has and I suspect he'd play a tad bit more selfish football, he would be a significant difference in a side desperate for it. He is here, he would be there.

Spot on. AFL are committed to making Gold Coast work and whilst TV rights are in the billions, why would they care if Gold Coast (or GWS) are taking a while to really establish themselves? The cash it'd cost them would be a drop in the ocean compared to what they're generating from the extra game a week.

Like all basketcases who don't fix themselves, they'll eventually parachute a new board in, maybe an ex-coach with a high rep (like Roos to Melbourne) and get it properly up and running.
The AFL will use Sydney as the benchmark. They were shite for years, poor crowds, finished bottom regularly. Now they’re well run, have a following, have won flags.

I just don’t see it ever happening for the Gold Coast, largely because all their teams have failed. Have they won anything in any sport, ever?

Yup, it's very likely it is. After all, Rankine begun his ascent in the competition elite last year, and the thing with elite players, it tends to make other players better as they're flying under the radar/covering weaknesses.

Whilst there are probably a few things Rankine is doing here that he may not have at Gold Coast - i.e., I don't think his defensive game increases like it has and I suspect he'd play a tad bit more selfish football, he would be a significant difference in a side desperate for it. He is here, he would be there.
Not sure he could be accused of selfish football at the gold coast, he was like the #1 player in the comp for goal assists last year. Had matches where he had 11 score involvements himself but only kicked 1-2. That said I think his defensive game has improved a lot already with us & the ball movement we have will present him far more opportunities to take his game to new levels.

Just signed long term from memory

Hollands though..imagine if we really come on this year,might be very attractive place to move to to play with the club he grew up following
Now day is off the table we need to go all in on for an A grade midfielder. Hopefully Dawson keeps playing the way he is but we also need to remember Laird will be 30 next year. One, preferably 2 A grade midfielders (dreaming) this year could see us a contender in 2024. I can't believe i'm saying this!!

Now day is off the table we need to go all in on for an A grade midfielder. Hopefully Dawson keeps playing the way he is but we also need to remember Laird will be 30 next year. One, preferably 2 A grade midfielders (dreaming) this year could see us a contender in 2024. I can't believe i'm saying this!!
Don't think we will be contending next year as Rachele, Soligo and particularly Pedlar need more midfield experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think we will be contending next year as Rachele, Soligo and particularly Pedlar need more midfield experience.

I hate to say it but I think you were right about our list.

Another A grade midfielder onto the list could be the difference between being a top 8 team and a genuine contender.

So I guess this worked out pretty well for us in the end, with Gold Coast finishing 15th. Nice of them to lose 7 of their last 9 matches to help us out there!

For those who have forgotten how we got here, we traded out Billy Frampton for a 2023 3rd rounder tied to Collingwood, then bundled that together with our 2023 2nd rounder and a 2022 pick (79) we weren't going to use. In return we got 2022 pick 43 (Billy Dowling), 2022 pick 50 (Hugh Bond), and Gold Coast's 2023 2nd round pick.

So essentially we were able to upgrade our second-round this year from pick 27 to pick 22, and also pick up Dowling and Bond last year, and the only thing we actually gave up in the process was Frampton.

So I guess this worked out pretty well for us in the end, with Gold Coast finishing 15th. Nice of them to lose 7 of their last 9 matches to help us out there!

For those who have forgotten how we got here, we traded out Billy Frampton for a 2023 3rd rounder tied to Collingwood, then bundled that together with our 2023 2nd rounder and a 2022 pick (79) we weren't going to use. In return we got 2022 pick 43 (Billy Dowling), 2022 pick 50 (Hugh Bond), and Gold Coast's 2023 2nd round pick.

So essentially we were able to upgrade our second-round this year from pick 27 to pick 22, and also pick up Dowling and Bond last year, and the only thing we actually gave up in the process was Frampton.
The picks swapped with GC turned out to be:

2022 #79 for 2022 #43

2023 #27 for 2023 #22

2023 #54 for 2023 #43

3 better picks overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back