Death-riding Port

Remove this Banner Ad

A nice thing to ponder isn't it? I just wonder that if Port do badly and we end up with a premium first round pick or say #6 or better, would the club be looking to wangle that at some clubs to try and snag an established player? Or would they be locked in to going to the draft with it? We have a LOT of youth, and I dare say that if a premium first round pick like that plus say a later pick (if needed) would be more than enough to get some established and experienced talent up here to balance out the youth. Pending they actually want to move up to Brissie of course, which always seems to be our biggest obstacle!

I'd be drafting two top 10 picks plus Connor from the academy and continue to build our super team

A nice thing to ponder isn't it? I just wonder that if Port do badly and we end up with a premium first round pick or say #6 or better, would the club be looking to wangle that at some clubs to try and snag an established player? Or would they be locked in to going to the draft with it? We have a LOT of youth, and I dare say that if a premium first round pick like that plus say a later pick (if needed) would be more than enough to get some established and experienced talent up here to balance out the youth. Pending they actually want to move up to Brissie of course, which always seems to be our biggest obstacle!
We've done the GWS-method of trading in experienced players on the outskirts of other clubs... What we don't have is a whole bunch of first round draft picks. We're actually VERY weak in terms of drafted talent. Haven't run the numbers this year yet, but last year we were pretty close to bottom of the ladder for talent (ranked by draft position - admittedly flawed), so I'd be pushing for that. No reason to fast track our rise to 12th on the ladder just to need another rebuild. You'd need to get a very talented player to consider trading pick 6 for them.

Communication out of the club is to go the draft trying to acquire as many picks in the top 25 over three drafts starting form last year.
I hope we stick to that plan. That said if an opportunity arises to bring in a player that suits our needs and is young enough I wouldn't be against making a trade.

Could easily get 3 picks this year if Rocky decides to leave. Our pick, Ports + rocky pick. all should be top 15.
We could then bundle up 1 of those three top picks with a lower pick and receive a ready made elite mid .
pfff yeh right. :rolleyes:.
sorry as you were, getting ahead of myself.

I hope we stick to that plan. That said if an opportunity arises to bring in a player that suits our needs and is young enough I wouldn't be against making a trade.
As do I but have had similar thoughts. There's Hopper and Kennedy at GWS coming out of contract behind a number of mids.
Could easily get 3 picks this year if Rocky decides to leave. Our pick, Ports + rocky pick. all should be top 15.
If Rocky goes he's a RFA so we can tell the interested party to stump up a first rounder or just do what Hawks did with Vickery and make sure that the compo is to our liking o_O. Let's make it 3 picks in the top ten.

I would consider trading a top 10 pick for a young gun aged 22 or younger e.g. Jacob Hopper. I don't think I'd consider trading for an established star. We need to focus on youth at this stage. We can target established stars in a few years time when we've completed at least 3 years of a rebuild and are starting to climb back up the ladder.

Last edited:
That was a grind to watch, but it looks for all the world like Port are in serious trouble this year.
I didn't really take much notice of how poorly they were playing until I realised they were full strength. I'd be shocked if they finished any higher than 13th this year. I can see teams around them on the ladder such as the Demons, Saints, North, Collingwood and the Tigers finishing above them and I can see the Bombers, Dockers and Suns passing them. Bottom 4 certainly not out of the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't really take much notice of how poorly they were playing until I realised they were full strength. I'd be shocked if they finished any higher than 13th this year. I can see teams around them on the ladder such as the Demons, Saints, North, Collingwood and the Tigers finishing above them and I can see the Bombers, Dockers and Suns passing them. Bottom 4 certainly not out of the question.

Realistically, they had that amazing year a few years back as they brought in a really good strategy. Then came 2014 and teams figured out how to counter it and now they can't beat teams unless they're s**t. They haven't been able to implement anything good since.

We need the majority of our players in the 23 to 26 age group, 80plus games and be able to hold our own in the middle of the table, then use trading, draft picks, to cherry pick elite skilled individual players who will then be surrounded by a team of experienced players. It's no good bringing them now, we just don't have the required experienced players to support them

According to the Twittersphere Wingard and Pittard suffered injuries??

Whilst obviously want the best pick we can from Port it would be cruel to wish injuries on players.

The moral dilemma will be if Hinkley gets the sack and Vossy is named as his caretaker replacement.
Vossy will always be a legend of our club, but I think even he would struggle to fix the list issues Port have!

They've worked back into both games in the second halves, but only after Stkilda rested Stevens and sent Riewoldt forward, today Martin / Cotchin didn't play Big roles in the 2nd half, and Richmond were missing Prestia and Houli.

Considering results and selected teams, theyve easily been one of the worst preformed. I'd only have Carlton as preforming worse.

I would consider trading a top 10 pick for a young gun aged 22 or younger e.g. Jacob Hopper. I don't think I'd consider trading for an established star. We need to focus on youth at this stage. We can target established stars in a few years time when we've completed at least 3 years of a rebuild and are starting to climb back up the ladder.
I really like that suggestion. We need to raid couple of GWS young talent like Matthew Kennedy, Hopper and Himmelberg (Family moved to Qld) who are coming out of contract this year. We need to build our next generation of midfielders around guys like McLuggage & Mathieson, as our spine is pretty much complete.

I think port has the same problem as in terms of lack of talent under the age of 22 in their midfield last year.

According to the Twittersphere Wingard and Pittard suffered injuries??

Whilst obviously want the best pick we can from Port it would be cruel to wish injuries on players.

Wingard was just a corky, but Pittard was a genuine hammy, he'll miss a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back