Death-riding Port

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't bring myself to death-ride Port. Non-Victorian clubs often get written off without too much thought and it's good to see them defy the expectations.

I'm enjoying Freo's good form for similar reasons.

Having spent many years in WA, Freo is unfortunately the ugly step child of West Australian football. The frothing over WCE in ever WA media outlet is ridiculous, as is the constant sledging of Freo.

WCE loses by 10 goals against a mediocre team - West Australian headline - 'Valiant Eagles go down fighting"

Freo loses by a point in a nail biter against the defending premiers - West Australia headline - 'Lacklustre Dockers lose again'

So I too am cheering for Freo. They rarely get one iota of respect (in WA at least).

I can't bring myself to death-ride Port. Non-Victorian clubs often get written off without too much thought and it's good to see them defy the expectations.

It's begins and ends with maximising our draft position for me. The club responsible is irrelevant. Simple.

Deathride ho!

It's begins and ends with maximising our draft position for me. The club responsible is irrelevant. Simple.

Deathride ho!

That's the most logical way to see it, but watching last night I couldn't bring myself to get excited about how this game might be the difference between us having pick 10 or pick 11.

It's a funny thing. I very much consider myself a Victorian in all other ways, but increasingly I watch AFL as a partisan non-Victorian.

That's the most logical way to see it, but watching last night I couldn't bring myself to get excited about how this game might be the difference between us having pick 10 or pick 11.

It's a funny thing. I very much consider myself a Victorian in all other ways, but increasingly I watch AFL as a partisan non-Victorian.

Fair enough. I'm enjoying having an emotional stake in a game that doesn't rely on us being good :p

Come on Ironmonger, this is no place for empathy and being human. Just imagine the joy of getting that false hope one draft pick earlier.:D

There is still something about Port that I can't put my finger on. I look at their results and they can't beat the teams above them and when they teams below them they give them an alrighty whack. It most probably stems from the fact that it they have only couple of player of really good players (Ryder/Robbie Grey/Wines/Wingard/Boak) and when it's against the better teams their next tier down can't step up. Will still make the 8 but if they finish 7/8 and have to play away against possibly Dogs or Eagles can't see them getting past the elimination final stage.

*nods* It is like I was born in Vic (Richmond supporting kid) then moved up to the Gold Coast then Brisbane - in theory I should have a much greater link to the Bears but I have a greater emotional attachment to Fitzroy.

xfyvC-RLIRXFt60-hwj2VToIwZ4=.gif

Go Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will they tho? We got Witherden with their pick and now pick 12. Dunno who they got, but am fairly sure they didn't pick SPP because of us.
Pretty sure they gave it to Sydney (used on Hayward). Our pick that got Witherden wasn't involved in the trade. It was the Cox pick that was traded in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back