Death-riding Port

Will they tho? We got Witherden with their pick and now pick 12. Dunno who they got, but am fairly sure they didn't pick SPP because of us.

They bundled up one of the picks from that trade for a bundle of picks from Sydney, SPP was one of those (originally Sydney's first).

I must admit that on the bus home last night I did think of this thread and the fact that it was Polec who gave away that free. But hey, if Dixon, Gray, Boak and Wingard hadn't messed up 14 shots at goal between them, Polec never would've been in a position to cost us the game with a poor tackle in the first place.

Will they tho? We got Witherden with their pick and now pick 12. Dunno who they got, but am fairly sure they didn't pick SPP because of us.

No you didn't. The Witherden pick was always Brisbane's. The Cedric Cox pick was involved in the trade but it came from Gold Coast, not us.

The overall deal (combined with a follow-up deal we did with Sydney) from Port's perspective was basically 2016 pick 11 and 2017 pick 12 for Sam Powell-Pepper, Todd Marshall, Joe Atley and Willem Drew. SPP for pick 11 you'd do again every day of the week, Marshall has shown enough that I'm sure we'd be happy enough to keep him over 2017 pick 12 in a weaker draft, which means anything we get out of Atley and Drew in future years is a bonus. So I'd say Port came out alright. Pearce Hanley for pick 12 means a club in Brisbane's position probably came out alright too.

I must admit that on the bus home last night I did think of this thread and the fact that it was Polec who gave away that free. But hey, if Dixon, Gray, Boak and Wingard hadn't messed up 14 shots at goal between them, Polec never would've been in a position to cost us the game with a poor tackle in the first place.

No you didn't. The Witherden pick was always Brisbane's. The Cedric Cox pick was involved in the trade but it came from Gold Coast, not us.

The overall deal (combined with a follow-up deal we did with Sydney) from Port's perspective was basically 2016 pick 11 and 2017 pick 12 for Sam Powell-Pepper, Todd Marshall, Joe Atley and Willem Drew. SPP for pick 11 you'd do again every day of the week, Marshall has shown enough that I'm sure we'd be happy enough to keep him over 2017 pick 12 in a weaker draft, which means anything we get out of Atley and Drew in future years is a bonus. So I'd say Port came out alright. Pearce Hanley for pick 12 means a club in Brisbane's position probably came out alright too.

Does it feel strange to go through an entire season without beating a top 8 team

That's it. Port should have won pretty easily because there were some horrifically straight forward shots that were muffed at times.

Tainey

Debutant
Oct 17, 2013
Deutschland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rheinland Lions, FC Köln
Goodbye sweet prince of a thread, you will be long-remembered!
Screen-Shot-2014-08-06-at-9.22.42-AM.png

So if we'd played the Eagles three hours earlier we would have beaten a 'top 8' side? If that doesn't show how ridiculous the 'they weren't top 8 at the time' qualifier is, I don't know what would.

We've beaten two top 8 sides, Sydney and West Coast. Maybe some people would have been more impressed if we'd beaten Fremantle in Round 10-12 than Sydney in Round 1, but I'm gonna go ahead and judge teams on their year, not on where they happened to be ranked on the ladder at 4pm on July 9.

So if we'd played the Eagles three hours earlier we would have beaten a 'top 8' side? If that doesn't show how ridiculous the 'they weren't top 8 at the time' qualifier is, I don't know what would.

We've beaten two top 8 sides, Sydney and West Coast. Maybe some people would have been more impressed if we'd beaten Fremantle in Round 10-12 than Sydney in Round 1, but I'm gonna go ahead and judge teams on their year, not on where they happened to be ranked on the ladder at 4pm on July 9.

We only mention it because its a good trigger for Port fans.

Case in point.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

You beat Sydey earliy in the year when they were playing terribly. They were definitly not top 8 at that stage.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

The key is to not look like you are upset about it.

It's no more than an interesting statistic, but you make it so much more by trying to prosecute it.

Nice melt

Was out at sea on a cruise and had no service but went back to the room at around 9pm to catch the second half. When the game finished level at full time the TV f****d up and lost all service, so I couldn't get to watch the extra time. I was so pissed. Just got to Port at Airlie beach to find out the Great News.
Suck it Port pivk 12 for us.
Great weekend for us, with the Neafl victory as well.

It's an interesting one. Port were only involved in our trade on a picks-for-picks basis. Basically, in the Hanley trade, GC offered multiple lower picks (effectively 22 & 30), Port turned them into one higher pick for us.

On points, we lost on the trade - if we'd just accepted GC's draft picks, we'd have had more draft points on the AFL system (we needed Port to finish 9th to come out ahead on that basis). That said, I think most would agree that we don't need more second rounders, and we have a relative lack of top level draft picks on our list. Turning that into pick 12 this year, I don't think that's a horrible trade. I think pick 10-12 would've been about right for Hanley's value at the time.

That said, looking at Hanley's year, and it's been heavily interrupted for a variety of reasons, so on that basis, we also came out ahead. Hanley's also getting on in years, so we probably traded him out at the last opportunity to maximise his value.

Then again, if he recaptures form and plays every game next year, GC would certainly feel pretty reasonable about the trade. At his best, he's definitely worth a top 10 pick. Just a matter of if he ever recaptures that form, or if injury cruels him.

At the end of the day though, I loved having skin in the game in an epic final, and really enjoyed that the Weagles got up for it. Cracker of a game.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

THis is not expressly correct, you didn't turn say 2 picks into 4 players, but don't have the energy to argue that going into detail on points

You should be happy enough though, made some risky moves which could have gone horribly but turned out quite well, but cant paint it as though a 2 for 4 deal

Back